No announcement yet.

Ryan's 1974 M2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everytime I come here my next stop is shopping for a 2002...
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Been telling myself that since he created this thread haha.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by SoundByte View Post
        Totally inspiring build... I've been slacking on my 2002 pretty badly. Always fantasized about dropping an S14 in, but it's probably gonna just get the 5-speed swap and maybe a built M10 in its future. Definitely going to use the transmission swap as an excuse to give the whole car a once-over after reading this thread.

Also, I just got done refreshing my shifter support arm, and you should know that design is going to be a pain in your ass about 30 years from now (hah). I would've suggested trying to find a way to make the late shift carrier or E21 shift carrier work, but it hardly matters.

Definitely gonna keep following this. Maybe I'll find the motivation to tear back into my old roundie here.

* Lookin' back at it, I don't really see why you need the support arm at all, so I guess it's a moot point.
        You're referring to the piece that supports the shift plate, with the bushing in the bottom, correct?

Im using a shift plate built by Aarvark Racing with a modified support arm with a solid IE busing. I know that when I had the plate mocked up and installed without that shifter support arm, there was a good amount of movement when shifting. Once I got the support arm cut and bent to clear the flex disc and the transmission cross member, it added the third point of attachment and made the shifter plate rock solid. What is a pain about installing everything is how tight it is in that trans tunnel. Hopefully its not something Ill be taking apart any time soon.

Originally posted by Mlarsen View Post
        Are you going to put center caps on? Definitely one of my dream swaps.
        Im not planning on using the Alpina cap. Theyre crazy expensive, and just become a target of thieves these days. What I am going to use are the caps that came off of the stock wheels. They simply snap into the hub, Ill put some Alpina or BMW decals on them.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
        Been telling myself that since he created this thread haha.
        Ill be honest, watching a few 2002 build threads is what got me out and looking for a 2002. It snowballed quickly from there...
        -Ryan
        05/87 Henna M3
        04/71 Baikal 2002tii

Comment

[QUOTE=RCM3;4272431

Ill be honest, watching a few 2002 build threads is what got me out and looking for a 2002. It snowballed quickly from there...[/QUOTE]

Yours and classic family's sr20 thread are the nail in the coffin.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Grabbed a buddy and the tools this weekend to check a few more items off the list.

First step, get the car up in the air. Second step, crack into a cold beer. It still feels like summer here in California so Corona seemed appropriate.

I got a package from Ireland Engineering that contained a few more shifter components to finish off the 5 speed swap. We popped the shifter swivel joint on, attached the shortened selector rod, and did the first shifting test run. Everything felt nice, but underneath I noticed the shifter plate wanted to move around a bit even though all the mounts are new and upgraded parts. This movement translates into shift slop, something I want to reduce as much as possible. After much thought on how to reinforce the shifter set up, we decided to run a through bolt from inside the trans tunnel through the plate and into the cabin. I installed a few spacers (5mm) in between the top of the shifter plate and the trans tunnel so we could tighten the nut down inside the cabin of the 2002 to give a 4th location to secure the shifter plate. This eliminated all slop when shifting left over from the factory set up. Granted this amount was very low to begin with, but why not improve things where you can? I didn't really get a pic of the lower set up, but the nut seen here next to the shifter shows the upper location of the reinforcement.

Now the shifter is done. The little foam ring that sits atop the shift plate looks a bit compressed, I know. We played around with the height of the plate to keep the selector rod level thus to reduce added effort when shifting. The selector shaft of the trans sits about level with the bottom of the UUC shift lever now. That combined with the new mount point tightened up the shifting experience.

Next up, the shortened 5 speed swap driveline. IE had their hands on this one too, fully rebuilt, new CSB and flex disc.

The braided clutch cable and lengthened speedo cable were installed while the engine bay had some open space still. Easy install on both, but the clutch line did require a little bending to clear the brackets required for the S14 throttle cable. I'm glad we installed the speedo cable with the booster assembly off since the little grommet around the cable was a pain to snap in and it goes through the firewall tight against the booster bracket.

The booster install was straight forward. I previously rebuilt the assembly with the bearing kit offered by IE. Bolted to the booster is a 750iL master cylinder with E34 540i remote brake reservoir lines. The intake plenum of the S14 prohibits the use of most all brake fluid reservoirs that would normally sit atop the master cylinder.

Seen also in the above picture is the S14 starter now installed. The shimmed flywheel sensors and flywheel cover plate went on at this time also. The Aardvark transmission that I'm using has the sensor housings added onto the bell housing of the trans. They were just close enough to the flywheel cover that they overlapped a bit and I was worried about potential rubbing/ sound issues. A quick trip to the grinder gave the necessary clearance of the plate. Also, I grabbed an E28 535i flywheel sensor bracket and cover plate to keep things protected from road debris and grime. A little grinding work on those was needed to keep the cover plate clear of the track rod when turning the steering wheel.

The rest of the weekend went towards stripping out the remaining sound deadening and cleaning up the interior. Ill finish that job up soon.

Here she sits until next time:

-Ryan
            05/87 Henna M3
            04/71 Baikal 2002tii

Comment

I love it!

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Ooooooo man im loving this thread
                Originally posted by dvck
                I'm going to say this nicely; go fuck yourself.

Comment

nice car, reminds me of the 2002 I drove when I first got my license

318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                  '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

that sits just right. nice.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

dig it!! great combo!
                      1990 325i - Betty "alpine" white
                      1983 533i - Ron "Burgundrot"

Comment

Thanks guys!

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                        that sits just right. nice.
                        I'm planning on leaving it right where it is, I like a little rake. It just needs a nice fender roll to finish it off.

A couple Aardvark Racing kits will be here this week. If all goes well and I can definitively figure out the wiring I should have a first start video by Sunday ;D
                        -Ryan
                        05/87 Henna M3
                        04/71 Baikal 2002tii

Comment

what lunatic would put an s14 in a 2002? :-)
                          keep plugging Ryan!

Comment

^ I would imagine that it goes like shit off a shovel? Very nice
                            sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by mlytle View Post
                              what lunatic would put an s14 in a 2002? :-)
                              keep plugging Ryan!

I think this was Phil's old car from CO.
                              318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                                I think this was Phil's old car from CO.

There was a m2 for sale in co a while back

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Working...
                                X