Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325IX restore and build continued(turbo, e34ix diff, DCT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The resilience of the iX community never ceases to make me smile. Keep killin it dude! If you need a spare donor harness I think I have a few in my storage.

Comment

What an amazing iX! You will rebuild it. Make it better than it was. Better, stronger, faster. :)

Comment

Doesn't look too bad, that fire could have been a lot worse!
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          Doesn't look too bad, that fire could have been a lot worse!
          Ya I got incredibly lucky! My 2.5lb fire extinguisher ran out and there was still a pretty big fire I thought it was gone completely. Luckily I had a gallon of coolant in the trunk that got it under control till eventually someone drove by and had some water with them to get the fire completely out. Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
            as of now I'm just going to bolt it back up and turn the boost up because I'm pretty sure that solves most issues.
            100% Accurate.

Glad to see its not as bad as it first appeared
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Stuffy View Post
              The resilience of the iX community never ceases to make me smile. Keep killin it dude! If you need a spare donor harness I think I have a few in my storage.
              Thanks for the offer but a new haltech harness is on the way, along with some other haltech goodies. We'll just say my shopping cart was a little more that i should have spent lol. Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

I'm shocked at how well that cleaned up, nice that you can take the opportunity to upgrade as well
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  I'm shocked at how well that cleaned up, nice that you can take the opportunity to upgrade as well
                  Yep, completely necessary upgrades šŸ˜ Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Some of the coolest builds come post-engine fires. Glad you're keeping with it! It's a huge inspiration to me.

Comment

Since I havenā€™t updated this in years I figured itā€™s a good time. After the fire I repainted the car and put it all back together with the haltech nexus and have mostly just been driving and enjoying the car for the past few years. Not much has charged other than a few small changes.

Iā€™ve broken a few transfer cases now. Each time it was the planetary gears that exploded. This time I I had some machine work done to double the amount of planetary gears and so far itā€™s holding up.

the only real change was adding paddle shifters, this was not easy task so say the least. I started by ordering a hand full of cheap random clock springs from eBay then cutting them up and making on fit. I had to remove the steering lock to have enough room but itā€™s a race car lol.

future plans with the car is to swap to a new transmission controller when someone finically gets one figured out. And Iā€™d like to at some point refresh the motor and swap to a roller car so I can rev this thing out to at least 8k because this motor loves the rpm. Even at 7500 the power isnā€™t dropping off at all. But unfortunately that's not in the budget at the moment so i can only dream for now.
                      Last edited by nomansland92; 03-21-2024, 09:18 AM.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Nice to hear about this, especially being mostly enjoyed. Too many builds of this stage end up being collecting dust and/or being broken all the time :D

Regarding the transfer case blow ups, you don't have any logging of the wheel speeds in this? Although the added gears most likely will solve the issue anyway.
                        1986 325iX
                        2006 530xd

Comment

Originally posted by muuris View Post
                          Nice to hear about this, especially being mostly enjoyed. Too many builds of this stage end up being collecting dust and/or being broken all the time :D

Regarding the transfer case blow ups, you don't have any logging of the wheel speeds in this? Although the added gears most likely will solve the issue anyway.

ya I will stay this car has treated me very well and I have gotten a lot of time to enjoy it. Actually both of them that I broke were not even under power. One was backing up a gravel driveway and one was going around a water box on a drag strip. But I think the hard shifts weakens them until it finally randomly gives up.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Working...
                          X