No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn, you guys got me scared now. I'll check mine when I get home.
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
      Damn, you guys got me scared now. I'll check mine when I get home.
      Plot twist, probably has rust.

Comment

Time to get this thing on the track!

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
            Plot twist, probably has rust.
            no please no... good thing I've been intending to chop that corner out for tire clearance anyway...

agreed. I'm browsing events. busy calendar isn't helping

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

you can't talk sir
            Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

you can't talk sir
              oh you just wait... if for once my plan works out .... just once...
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

big "if" there, not even a "when"
                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

you and your schemes... well "if" it results in you hitting a track day or autox soon let me know. I'll join.

Originally posted by wworm View Post

big "if" there, not even a "when"
                  lol right
                  Shadetree30

Comment

Its not that easy building a 50+ year old car into something that can fly around a track safely...

Ive been pretty frustrated about the time its been taking, hence the IF not WHEN ... but my friend reminded me the headaches that all my bigger project cars have given me, but once they have been "done" they've done quite well. The Aluminum Monster went through a whole bunch of BS, but in the end it was a terror on the track. Soon the old Fairlady will be harassing cars on the track too.

Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Its not that easy building a 50+ year old car into something that can fly around a track safely... Ive been pretty frustrated about the time its been taking, hence the IF not WHEN ... but my friend reminded me the headaches that all my bigger project cars have given me, but once they have been "done" they've done quite well. The Aluminum Monster went through a whole bunch of BS, but in the end it was a terror on the track. Soon the old Fairlady will be harassing cars on the track too.
                      We all quickly forget how much time and work these old cars take to bring up to a level of robustness that allows the beating we want to apply to them. Recall I think I pulled my oil pan like 3-4 times, engine out twice, head off 3 times, 4 clutch/flywheels?, 4 brake master cylinders, 3 brake slave cylinders, like 6 iterations of shifters, redid the exhaust like 3 times, 4 radiators..... on and on and on.... itll be worth it.

Anyway, more good progress over the past 2 weeks. Finished up the splitter and canards and hit a last minute autox with the socal SCCA. More CAD templates got the wheel well deflectors lined up and looking good. Same approach had the canards looking good too. I don't know about anyone else, but I think it looks badass and I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I have some ideas on how to improve the whole front splitter and may build a few more "kits" to sell.

Here's on of the wheel well/fender deflectors mounted. I did change those gold screws to black...

One of the brackets for the fender deflector.

Here it is installed. I used some black vinyl to cover the raw aluminum. Decided to use vinyl rather than paint because I imagine the paint will get pitted very quickly.

Splitter minus canards complete.

And here it is with canards installed

Had a blast at the autox and the car was mechanically rock solid as usual. Definitely have to get way more seat time to get the most out of the car. Felt like I was chasing tire temps and pressures the whole time rather than concentrating on driving. I found my water sprayer cracked the night before so I didn't have one for the morning session. Tires definitely were getting too hot for the second half of the first session. Pretty sure I also had the pressures to low at 32 front and 30 rear. Looked it up later and toyo/the internet was recommending 32-38 hot. I booked it to a home depot during my lunch break and picked up a 12v air compressor and a water sprayer. Changed the tire pressure to target 36 front and 34 rear and in conjunction with spraying the tires and the car felt noticeably better. 3rd run felt great until I cooked one of the last turns, hit some gravel off the line and spun. Really wish I could've kept that run clean but oh well. I didn't feel too bad considering nearly everyone spun once or twice, even the better cars and drivers. Best times of the day were in the 52-54s range accomplished by a pair of new supras (those things sounded really good and were FAST - also driven by very good drivers), a couple of well prepped miatas, two VERY well prepped RX7s and a track modded BMW M2 (in the background of one of the photos - 500 rwhp and meaty tires). I was matching times with a lotus exige, new and old civics and a prepped E36 M3. I managed several 57s runs with none of them feeling really good. Felt like I was constantly fighting between rear end grip oversteer when putting down power out of corners, and understeering into turns. I'm sure a lot of that is my own fault as an inexperienced driver, but it's hard to tell. The parking lot was also fairly dusty/gravely which was VERY slippery. I definitely need more seat time to figure out optimal tire pressures, temps, alignments, etc. so i can spend less time fussing with settings and more time focused on driving.

Overall, I had an absolute thrill as usual. There is nothing better than ripping around on a track or autox in a car you've hand built and being able to match times with much more modern factory purpose built cars. My E30 was the second oldest car there after a 69' camaro (that car was sick)

So naturally after a driving event one starts thinking about ways to improve performance. I've been planning to acquire a set of 16x10 joengbloed JRW series 500 wheels to become my dedicated "event wheels/tires" but looking at tire availability for 16x10 - its kinda crap. Starting to think 15x10 may be better considering I'd be sharing the size with many miatas, civics etc. Tire selection still isn't great but it's better. That said, the joengbloeds are also available in 15x10 and I think they look awesome, but then I came across these konig dekagrams... 14lbs and available in semi matte black or bronze. I'm leaning towards these. Price is also comparable to the joengbloeds. Going to have to sell some parts!

Started working on the last of the front ducting last night. I want to seal off the air entry for the radiator area completely. Bottom and sides. I'll do it from more ABS, already started on the CAD templates.​​​​​​​ Should finish that this weekend.

And lastly for a little tease... borrowed my roomates truck to get to work today. Picking up a large part for the car after work. I also finally pulled the schroth harnesses out of storage last night *hint*

​​​​​​​Oh I'll also be at the ireland engineering open house if anyone else is joining!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 10-11-2019, 08:29 AM.
                      Shadetree30

Comment

The aero sure looks awesome. I am not sure if it's strong enough to make much difference (if you can't stand on it, probably not), but it sure looks bad ass.

And duddeee I've been eyeing those wheels too. Did you buy them? Hypergrams or Dekgrams? I'm ready to step up my wheel/tire game, but intend to stay with stock fenders as they should be able to fit anything I'd need for what I use the car for.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

The aero sure looks awesome. I am not sure if it's strong enough to make much difference (if you can't stand on it, probably not), but it sure looks bad ass.

And duddeee I've been eyeing those wheels too. Did you buy them? Hypergrams or Dekgrams? I'm ready to step up my wheel/tire game, but intend to stay with stock fenders as they should be able to fit anything I'd need for what I use the car for.
                          Thanks!! It's fairly strong, if I stepped on it gingerly it would hold, but I want it rock solid. Needs a bit more work to get there. I've got some more ideas for improvement and more front undertray/reinforcement I want to add.

Hahaha man as soon I saw them I knew I had to have them. I prefer the dekagrams with the flat spokes and I like them in both black and bronze. Going 15x10 though for sure; time to fill out my fenders!! Have not bought them yet, I need to drum up some extra cash to justify spending on them... wife and I are saving for our wedding in April (yes we did things a bit backwards) and she would absolutely shank me if I spent ~$1600 on the car vs prioritizing us as long as I make/fab/sell parts I'm in the clear.
                          Shadetree30

Comment

Looks like you have some tire contact inside your fender lips.

Comment

I love this car and these updates <3
                              1990 325is
                              m52b28
                              3.73lsd
                              g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Love it, as always. Great work and great commitment to get this stuff done.

Comment

Working...
                                X