X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
    Time to get this thing on the track!

agreed. I'm browsing events. busy calendar isn't helping

Drive Laguna Seca with Ongrid Track Events (info@ongridtrack.com) the Saturday after Thanksgiving, would be great to have another s52 e30 out there.

Comment

Originally posted by bradmer View Post
      Time to get this thing on the track!

agreed. I'm browsing events. busy calendar isn't helping

Drive Laguna Seca with Ongrid Track Events (info@ongridtrack.com) the Saturday after Thanksgiving, would be great to have another s52 e30 out there.
      Busy calendar is killing me and I'm trying not to fill every single weekend from here through christmas with an event. That's extremely tempting though. I've been dying to do laguna seca. So far I'm registered for Socal Vintage Nov 2 and Radwood Dec 7, I'll probably have to get creative to find an incentive for the wife to come with me to justify a third weekend event so soon. I also need tires - I'm one autox away from balding the R888s
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

Busy calendar is killing me and I'm trying not to fill every single weekend from here through christmas with an event. That's extremely tempting though. I've been dying to do laguna seca. So far I'm registered for Socal Vintage Nov 2 and Radwood Dec 7, I'll probably have to get creative to find an incentive for the wife to come with me to justify a third weekend event so soon. I also need tires - I'm one autox away from balding the R888s
        Laguna Seca is a state park with running water for showers and toilets, $37.50 / night with incredible views of Monterrey Bay. Flush toilets always pushes my wife closer to going, but she hasn't yet. By far the best track out there in my limited opinion, so much terrain. Hope to see you out there at one of these events!

Comment

Originally posted by bradmer View Post

Laguna Seca is a state park with running water for showers and toilets, $37.50 / night with incredible views of Monterrey Bay. Flush toilets always pushes my wife closer to going, but she hasn't yet. By far the best track out there in my limited opinion, so much terrain. Hope to see you out there at one of these events!
          I've been thinking about that aspect too. We both enjoy camping and that's probably the way I could sell it. I doubt she'd want to hang out at the track but I know there's plenty to do nearby. Might be able to roundup up some friends to join and turn it into a mini adventure - guys hang at the track, girls do their thing (or hang out at the track) during the day. I'll PM you
          Shadetree30

Comment

Jesus christ tapatalk requiring "vip" to upload more than 1 photo at a time.... all this "monetization" of forums and hosting is just going to kill the whole business. Anyway.... I've got a handful of updates but I'll keep it short because this tapatalk nonsense is irritating.

Here's the most interesting update: Pulled the euro S50 headers off the shelf not to tease but to actually install. Literally been waiting to do this for years. Fitment is fairly good. Have to install them from the bottom but that wasn't much of a fuss. Looks like my coolant drain extension may actually fit right between two runners but the heat does concern me a bit up against the braided steel hose. Not sure if the inner rubber will be upset with that or not so I may swap it for a 45* fitting to clear the headers completely. Had to space the sway bar mounts down about 1/2" to move the swaybar and give the bottom collector enough space to fit in the gap. Also chopped most of that end off the collector since it was fouling the swaybar regardless and was also a bit mangled from the previous owners welding/denting. To fix this hot mess I cut a section of 2.25" stainless pipe and then proceeded to pound it, pinch it, cut it, bend it, grind it, drop it and yell at it until it conformed fairly well to the end of the collector and fit the odd space requirements. Felt a bit like a caveman using odd combinations of tools to get it to work, but it does and it did. Fairly proud of the repurposing of the 3 sockets zip tied in the vice to pinch the dimple in the tube. I'll need to cut little wedges to fill the open spots but otherwise this irritating part is done. Next trick will be to add bellows/flex joints and vband clamps.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 11-19-2019, 08:10 AM.
            Shadetree30

Comment

This is great! I can respect this process, total pain in the ass to get some of this to fit. I also understand the Tapatalk bullshit. The monetization of all holes in the market is going to ruin a good thing, you're totally right.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                This is great! I can respect this process, total pain in the ass to get some of this to fit. I also understand the Tapatalk bullshit. The monetization of all holes in the market is going to ruin a good thing, you're totally right.
                Yea I knew what I was getting myself into this time. I've done this a couple of times between my e36 and e30 over the years and learned A LOT from my mistakes. Definitely helps to have a larger arsenal of tools and experience with the welder. Things will start getting very interesting when I start part 2 of this project in a few months... I'm dead set on running dual 2.25" pipes all the way through finishing with a center exit exhaust
                Shadetree30

Comment

That would be so sick. Also make it come out where the license plate sits.

Comment

Why not just run a single 3"? It should save a significant amount of weight.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                      That would be so sick. Also make it come out where the license plate sits.
                      hahaha nah I'm not going that far with it
                      that's a good point. Mostly I want to do it because I had a similar setup on my E36 ages ago and it sounded gnarly (too much for a daily, but perfect for a weekend car). I will pair it with a UUC Corsa RSC36 catback (modified to fit the E30) and for that system to work properly, it utilizes dual pipes all the way back with tuned resonators. The system effectively cuts all the rasp out leaving a deep rumble at idle and part throttle but rips really hard at WOT kinda sounds a bit exotic. It sounded even more vicious with the supercharger attached
                      Shadetree30

Comment

have you ever heard a Jag with a big6 and dual pipes? its worth it lol...

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                        a deep rumble at idle and part throttle but rips really hard at WOT kinda sounds a bit exotic.
                        exotic? like titanium? ... do it ... its only money
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I had a UUC SystemU on my E36, it did sound heavenly...

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

have you ever heard a Jag with a big6 and dual pipes? its worth it lol...

exotic? like titanium? ... do it ... its only money
                            yes to the jag big six with dual pipes - sounds wicked
                            no to titanium.....
                            I had a UUC SystemU on my E36, it did sound heavenly...
                            The corsa catback is an even further improvement

Here's what the inside of one of the big cans looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	RSC_CUTAWAY_small.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	9886588

And a diagram:

Name:	EXHAUSTCUT-OUTsm.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	9886589

I think the whole thing is pretty damn cool and it definitely works

Here's what the whole piece looks like:

Name:	BMWE36sys.gif
Views:	465
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	9886590

I already butchered it years ago when I welded v bands onto it and then smacked it on a bad bump in the road driving around in my e36 too low for socal roads... so I have no qualms about further cutting it up. I intend to remove the spare tire well, cut reliefs on both sides of the subframe for clearance for the exhaust to split one tube on each side running through/under it, and snake the catback so it kinda makes a mirrored question mark shape "?" a la porsche 911 where both big cans point towards each other right at the bumper and then the exhaust tips do a 90* to exit out the center
                            Shadetree30

Comment

How do you plan on welding the headers/exhaust up? I've been reluctant to touch my S50 headers with the MIG as I think I should really be tackling them with a TIG instead.
                              IG: https://www.instagram.com/josh.stacey/
                              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/133952286@N03/

Comment

Out of curiosity, can you fit a jack under the side skirts, or is that the reason you made the ramps? I love the side skirt idea, but then I realized it might be hard to get a jack under the car (or lift arms for that matter)

Comment

Working...
                                X