Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
    This is awesome but I have a question. Does the threaded adjuster have a locking collar to keep it from moving out of adjustment?
    No it doesn't and doesn't look like any of the GC kits include one. I was thinking about this as well. There shouldn't be any reason for the perch to rotate, but I'll mark it and check over time anyway to be sure. If it does rotate I'll figure something out.
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
      Damn I want a media blaster so bad. AND a beer fridge in the garage. Coin toss as to which takes precedence tho
      Beer fridge. Though it's led to some less productive evenings :P I gotta say though after some minor upgrades and tweaks the blast cabinet is a dream come true. Do you have a big enough compressor?

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      OHHHH MANNNNN... I need to media blast this oil pan Im trying to sell... lemme come by one of these days. Tomorrow and Saturday are "car days" for me. Text me when you're home
      it was good to see you simon
      Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

it was good to see you simon
        Absolutely, you too Charlie. Glad you're super close. Nice to know theres a good spare set of hands closeby if we ever need it!
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Beer fridge. Though it's led to some less productive evenings :P I gotta say though after some minor upgrades and tweaks the blast cabinet is a dream come true. Do you have a big enough compressor?
          Ha, figured that. Unfortunately my compressor would be underpowered. I rent a garage at my apartment complex and it runs on 115V, if I have too many things running at the same time (compressor, vacuum, or space heater) I trip the breaker all the time. I bought the biggest I could buy that would run on 115V (30gal/1.5hp). Would need a 220V hookup to get a good enough motor/tank setup, another reason I need to move along a get a house sooner rather than later.
          '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Absolutely, you too Charlie. Glad you're super close. Nice to know theres a good spare set of hands closeby if we ever need it!
            for sure! same to you

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
            Ha, figured that. Unfortunately my compressor would be underpowered. I rent a garage at my apartment complex and it runs on 115V, if I have too many things running at the same time (compressor, vacuum, or space heater) I trip the breaker all the time. I bought the biggest I could buy that would run on 115V (30gal/1.5hp). Would need a 220V hookup to get a good enough motor/tank setup, another reason I need to move along a get a house sooner rather than later.
            I hear ya. In my old "tent garage" I was running everything off of like a 200' extension cord... even at my last place we'd trip the breaker with the old compressor, angle grinder and a fan on. You really do need a 220v compressor. I got lucky that my garage has a sub panel installed in it (for some garage->living space conversion that got abandoned) so I put a 220v breaker and ran some temporary wiring. Funny thing is that I remember buying the old HF compressor ~10 years ago and was beside myself so thrilled to have compressed air and an impact gun.
            Shadetree30

Comment

In my old rented garage, it actually had no outlets so I used the pullstring light bulb to pull power from. Got one of these lightbulb socket adapters and ran more lighting, stereo, power tools, etc haha
              https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Split...dp/B07Y4RBR4J/

The things we do to get our wrenching in!
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

In my old rented garage, it actually had no outlets so I used the pullstring light bulb to pull power from. Got one of these lightbulb socket adapters and ran more lighting, stereo, power tools, etc haha
                https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Split...dp/B07Y4RBR4J/

The things we do to get our wrenching in!
                it's a miracle more of us haven't started electrical fires
                Shadetree30

Comment

hahaha exactly
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Progress.

Replaced my cheap HF tap and die set after nearly destroying one of the swaybar links attempting to thread it with an old beat tap. Apparently they have a lifetime warranty though so I'll still exchange it and use it to chase threads rather than cut them.

Test fitting new flares... these are the clinched classic 90mm (3.5") flares. They're actually an excellent fit and very nice product, just too wide!! I wish they made a 70mm (2.75") but the next size down is 50mm which is about the same as the kamotors flares they're replacing. Good to know there's a flare option that'll accommodate another inch of wheel/tire!

Compared to the old flares

Front view. Looks pretty badass. Oh well. Ordered some cheap ebay china flares to see if they're any better.... this may be an irritating trial and error process.

Prepped the trailing arms for blasting. Did my best to seal off the bearings because I didn't want to take them apart. We'll see how well that works or if they get jacked up with sand in them. I'm sure I'll know pretty quickly.

Perches blasted and painted.

Perch bases blasted and pained.

More parts arrive! Settled on 25mm spacers all around. 23mm was the minimum needed to allow the wheel to clear the front strut. These motorsport hardware pieces are quite nice.

FRSport/swift finally drop shipped the springs - 10kg and 6" length. Same rate as before, just longer, and also 60mm ID. Added benefit that the front and rear springs are now the exact same dimensions, and also identical to my E36. Might be swapping some spare springs around shortly.

Lastly, half of the ground control roll center/bump steer kit arrived. Actually the more important half since I need to remove the control arms to replace the outer ball joint with this special spherical bearing and stud. The adjustable tie rods should arrive soon... had a small delay due to covid and their local heat treat shop.

Here is one of the arms painted and assembly mocked up! Looks fresh! (I installed the AKG TA bushings too).

Next up are the front struts to get blasted and painted (should I do boring black? Yellow? Red?), spacers/mods around the front swaybar to help clear the exhaust, diff case blasted and LSD refresh, some rock guard, final flare decision, rest of the tires mounted, install all the parts, alignment, done!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 07-15-2020, 06:59 AM.
                    Shadetree30

Comment

man that's fresh. i've been meaning to upgrade my spring rates, at least the rears...if you want to get rid of the standard length 10k's shoot me a pm!!
                      89 325i 4dr s52
                      02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
                      21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
                        man that's fresh. i've been meaning to upgrade my spring rates, at least the rears...if you want to get rid of the standard length 10k's shoot me a pm!!
                        Thanks! I might be selling them later. First I want to try them out on my E36 since I'm looking to actually lower the rates on that car.
                        Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

Thanks! I might be selling them later. First I want to try them out on my E36 since I'm looking to actually lower the rates on that car.
                          cool, just keep me posted!

Did you have to make new holes/rivnuts to mount up the clinched flares? I bought some 50mm ebay flares, and they are complete utter garbage. (def not 50mm either).
                          89 325i 4dr s52
                          02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
                          21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

Originally posted by s14brent View Post

cool, just keep me posted!

Did you have to make new holes/rivnuts to mount up the clinched flares? I bought some 50mm ebay flares, and they are complete utter garbage. (def not 50mm either).
                            Will do. Yes, I will eventually need to mount with new holes/rivnuts. I started with a set of the clinched flares, but the 90mm I bought is too big by about an inch - though quality and fit are great! Then I got 2 sets of cheapo flares off ebay - both with different dimensions and both were not only not matching stated dimensions, they were the exact same china flares... so now I ordered a set of 70mm flares from this russian company called Jumdoo. Got them this past week, and they're perfect! Fit and finish are superb. Seeing if I can pick up another set of fenders to start fresh with.
                            Shadetree30

Comment

I looked up that jumdoo company, and I'm going to try to remember this for my 4door because I sold all my KAmotors flares after I ditched my iX and decided not to cut up my iS...
                              The longer I look at my 4dr, the more I realize I'm not motivated to fix it into a "daily".
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                                I looked up that jumdoo company, and I'm going to try to remember this for my 4door because I sold all my KAmotors flares after I ditched my iX and decided not to cut up my iS...
                                The longer I look at my 4dr, the more I realize I'm not motivated to fix it into a "daily".
                                yea they lay down nice and flat, are very flexible, and apparently can take some heat to help contour them. Free shipping is nice too (though I paid the express shipping because I couldn't wait a few weeks)
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X