Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's make an E30 M3! (M3 S14 cabrio clone project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No huge updates, but fellow r3ver spiDmang helped me swap over the chassis from auto to manual. We ended up moving over the brake booster as well, which typically isn't done on a manual swap, but the master cylinder as well as the booster is different on the M3 so we had to bring it over.

The car now happily sits with three pedals :D Hopefully I'll find time to get the S14 in the car this week.

I also got a chance to pull the rear subframe from the M3. Thankfully, no detectable damage, although both rear subframe bushings were shot. I had anticipated this and purchased new ones, but haven't been able to get them out of the subframe yet. I'm going to try the "modified Harbor Freight Pitman arm puller" method tonight.

And here's what my garage looks like, I can barely walk in here. I've got boxes and boxes of parts piling up, and the countdown to the picnic has begun. 33 days and counting!

'89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Putting sideskirts on with all new hardware is oddly satisfying.
      Current:
      1989 325i
      1988 M3
      1987 325ic
      Past:
      2001 330ci
      2001 M3

Comment

Sorry we couldn't get more done, but lets try and shoot for another weekend full of wrenching :up:

Have I spurred E46 M3 withdrawals yet?
        -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
        91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
        08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
        04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
        Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
        Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

I want to come help once I get out there next week. Maybe working on some E30s will actually persuade myself to spend some cash on my own.
          1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
          willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
            I'm sure it's low on the priority list, but I'm interested in seeing if/how you relocate the battery. I know the m3 verts had the battery in the boot stock, but I've never seen pics. I just did mine, but using the coupe/sedan battery tray and battery cover/safety kit aren't optimal in a vert.
            Hey Rob, I'd definitely be interested in seeing what you did for the mounting. The way the M3 cabrio battery mounts is different from the coupe. In my M3 coupe, the battery sits down in the boot with the top of the battery almost level with the "floor" of the trunk.

Not the case with the cabrio - the battery actually sits on top, level with the floor of the rest of the trunk.

Here's a photo that will illustrate, first a stock coupe battery mounting, tucked in the recessed area of the boot. The top of the battery is just about flush with the rest of the trunk floor, and there's a plastic molded piece that covers it.

Now here's two photos to illustrate what the E30 M3 cabrio boot/battery should look like, from the eBay auction.

As you can see, the battery actually sits up, with the battery bottom level with the trunk floor. There is a cover wrapped in upholstery that matches the rest of the trunk carpet which fastens over the battery.

My eventual goal will be to replicate this as best as I can. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
              I want to come help once I get out there next week. Maybe working on some E30s will actually persuade myself to spend some cash on my own.
              I'd welcome the help man!! :devil:

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
              Have I spurred E46 M3 withdrawals yet?
              Stop it.

Comment

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the M3 Cabrio battery sits higher because the vibration damper is still there, underneath the battery, necessitating its elevated position.

Comment

It's going to be a race to the Picnic!

I'm in the same boat! good luck man!
                  Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
                    It's going to be a race to the Picnic!

I'm in the same boat! good luck man!
                    Just checked out your thread, pretty cool project you have going! Love the bolt-in rad support Good luck to you as well!

Comment

Does this damn thing run yet?!
                      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Gosh, take forever!
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

Sorry to hear about the M3.

I like the where your taking this.

I'm stoked!!!

#subscribed

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                            Gosh, take forever!
                            All I seem to be doing these days is ordering parts Every day I find something I didn't know I needed! It's really slowing me down.

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
                              All I seem to be doing these days is ordering parts Every day I find something I didn't know I needed! It's really slowing me down.
                              That usually happens to me moments after I've just placed a large order somewhere. Then you have to decide whether you want to pay shipping on the single item or wait until you have another list of parts to buy! #buildproblems

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                              Transaction feedback
                              - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
                                Trunk shocks on both sides? All 3 verts I own only have a single trunk shock on the driver's side, which makes the trunk sit wonky.
                                sigpic
                                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
                                X