Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's make an E30 M3! (M3 S14 cabrio clone project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to see this project is moving again.
    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Awesome project, subbed.
      E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post

That car has more ground clearance then a 1984 318i with an empty tank and no passengers!
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Amazing project
          Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
          ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
          E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

what did you do with the tow hooks on the front to allow the bumper to mount?
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Is the gap between the bumper and trim because of the E30 M3 specific liners?
              He still needs to weld brackets to the inside of the fender/wheel well area for supporting the bumper. The brackets the bumper bolts to could probably use some adjusting as well.
              Current:
              1989 325i
              1988 M3
              1987 325ic
              Past:
              2001 330ci
              2001 M3

Comment

Is the gap between the bumper and trim because of the E30 M3 specific liners?

Cant wait to see this done. Hopefully I can drive up for the picnic this next year
                Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
                He still needs to weld brackets to the inside of the fender/wheel well area for supporting the bumper. The brackets the bumper bolts to could probably use some adjusting as well.
                jhaurimn got it right, but yes there is a gasket between the bumper and the body. My bumper originally had the stock US spec gasket, but I sourced the evo one-piece gasket a while back so I'll be running that on this car along with my hood gaskets (which somehow survived the accident)

I am looking at buying a new welder which should make things easier for me. Lots of little things to tack on like the bumper brackets, radiator supports, and that pesky battery tray.
                '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Finally got this thing transferred over, all legal and tagged. It might seem like a trivial thing but I had some issues getting the paperwork all approved. I've bought and sold lots of cars but somehow this one gave me the most trouble.

I also got my rear plate filler installed - doesn't make that much difference on a black car, but I wanted one.

Ordered a new exhaust, Rogue Engineering Diablo cat-back. And a new UUC evo 3 shifter assy is on the way, I couldn't pass up the Labor Day deal.

More to come!

Comment

Nice progress brother! Cant wait for us to roll out, tops down, listening to ITB goodness :up:
                    -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                    91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                    08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                    04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                    Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                    Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                      Nice progress brother! Cant wait for us to roll out, tops down, listening to ITB goodness :up:
                      I know you don't have itbs Brad lol

Looks great!
                      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                      Originally posted by roguetoaster
                      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

I was talking Byron D. about your project at Octoberfest/Dorkfest. He told me he knows you from WA, and wasn't surprised I was fawning over your car. Sorry, I never got back to you about moving the battery to the trunk, but I'm sure you figured out how to do in the most OEM way possible.

Any special plans for the interior?
                        Last edited by robrez; 09-10-2016, 03:48 AM.
                        sigpic
                        January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
                          I was talking Byron D. about your project at Octoberfest/Dorkfest. He told me he knows you from WA, and wasn't surprised I was fawning over your car. Sorry, I never got back to you about moving the battery to the trunk, but I'm sure you figured out how to do in the most OEM way possible.

Any special plans for the interior?
                          Funny, small world Rob!

No worries on the battery, it was actually an incredibly simple swap over from the M3 shell to the cabrio. A little fish tape later and it was all done, using all the factory stuff.

As for the interior, nothing special. OEM original schwarz leather seats, Mtech 1 steering wheel, crack free dash, OEM leather shift boot/E brake boot, ZHP shift knob (all from the henna car).

For some reason I'm not a huge fan of reupholstered seats in an old car, looks too "new" compared to door panels, dash, etc unless you go all the way and do everything. I'm probably in the minority here, but I prefer the look of good condition original interior. I'm reusing my front seats from my M3 and sourced a set of near-perfect rear seats from a member here who was willing to help out.

Comment

Got a few things done this weekend. Welded up my (third) broken sport seat base and got the driver seat reinstalled. I now have a mostly functioning interior! (I'm waiting on the UUC shifter install to put the center console back together)

I also refinished the valve cover in wrinkle black, still lots of polishing to do on the lettering but it's a good start. (Sorry about the bad lighting)

Other than that, I'm spending my time making BMW parts suppliers rich with all my ordering :p

Comment

I get a little chub when I see updates on this project :up:

btw thanks for the crock-pot, my wife is determined to get me fat
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I get a little chub when I see updates on this project :up:

btw thanks for the crock-pot, my wife is determined to get me fat

Comment

Working...
                                X