Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ba114 View Post
    Update time:
    Started purchasing parts for the m50b32 build.
    JE 297170 9:1 Pistons have arrived.

I was originally going to run these with the m50NV rods i have lying around but it's recently been revealed to me here that apparently these wont fit without modifications. Can anyone else confirm?

If so i'll have to decide what rods i want to run instead.
    Your build reminds me a lot of mine. I'm not sure about M50NV rods. I went with Molnar rods and am very happy with them. The weights were extremely close to one another and the tolerances were spot on. They have been holding up just fine against 596 whp for around 1100 miles on my build.

Someone clued me in to the fact that Supertech (generally known for valve train components for the 24V motors) is also in the connecting rod business. Never used them, or known anyone who has, but might be worth a peek.

Keep up the awesome work and let me know if I can help you out along the way when you begin to build your motor.

Comment

And do yourself a favor and get a TIG machine and practice practice practice. You will despise MIG after you get the hang of TIG ;)

Comment

Originally posted by jph View Post
        And do yourself a favor and get a TIG machine and practice practice practice. You will despise MIG after you get the hang of TIG ;)
        The mig went in the garbage last weekend actually haha. Still on the search for a decent mid-level tig setup.
        RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

460hp is no joke. I'm sure you can get even more out of it as well. Great work. love this build.

Comment

I've been neglecting the e30 lately because it's in a state where i'm pretty happy with how its running until i finish with the engine build.

I'm the sort of person that has to be tinkering/building/fixing and the e30 hasn't been fulfilling that need lately so i've resorted to other projects.

Back in Feb/March i bought an e46 330i sedan for a steal. It needed a LOT of work, but luckily i had plenty of spares in the garage. Ended up replacing body panels, entire cooling system (except radiator), various interior bits, valve cover gasket etc etc which set me back just over $2k, then flipped it for a tidy profit.

I then took that profit and made another purchase. Another e46 330i, but this time a coupe....with an added bonus being a turbo kit fitted.
            The PO had a shop fit up a haltech ecu, which following some dyno time (270kw) then fried. After having the car shipped down to me and examining the DME box, im not surprised; they hacked it to pieces and had exposed wires all over the place.

I've so far wired in a new body side x60004 connector which they had cut off, and received the replacement engine, coil and o2 harnesses in the mail which will now allow me to restore it back to stock DME, and commence tuning that.

I've already developed a base tune for MS43 with the 60lb injectors and the same slot style MAF i used on the e30 so i should be setup to get it going over the weekend once i replace the harnesses.

And here it stands in all its "bumper held on with rope" glory!
            Attached Files

Comment

So the e46 coupe is still occupying my time. Got the car running on stock dme, however very quickly discovered a blown head gasket.

Pulled the head last weekend and its getting machined and pressure tested at the moment.
              I'll be running an aluminium spacer, athena cutring gasket and raceware studs on this build too as its proven a good combo in the e30.

Hopefully the head will be back by the weekend so i can start reassembly and get it up and running again. I have a 3 day weekend so fingers crossed all goes to plan. I'll also be rebuilding the vanos before refitting.

Comment

Sold the 330ci. Made a decent profit. Once it was finished it was a 400hp car at 8-10psi.

Since then, e30 updates:
                Block torque plate bore and hone to 86.5mm - DONE
                Convert M50NV head to dual vanos - DONE
                Import ZHP cams and polish - DONE
                Purchase ACL race bearings for bottom end - DONE
                Purchase K1 rods - DONE
                Purchase twin scroll EFR9180 - DONE
                Purchase loom from E53 X5 to run engine on MS43 dme - DONE
                Modify M54 thermostat to fit on M50 head - DONE
                Purchase new house - DONE

Buy F15 X5 as new daily - DONE
                Buy new twin-scroll manifold - PENDING AUD/US $ increase

Pull old engine and build new engine - PENDING MOVING TO NEW HOUSE
                Last edited by ba114; 08-19-2021, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Pics make this work better. Also designed and printed an adapter to mate the n62 throttle body to the aluminium intake. Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks awesome! I'm a fellow Aussie building an M52B25 Turbo setup so lots of nice ideas. If you decide to sell the manifold you're using let me know!

Interested to know why you didn't go ARP head bolts for your setup?

Comment

New build has got arp head and main studs. B25 used raceware as I already had them from when I was building the b28 bottom end. Manifold and turbo will be for sale very soon Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ba114 View Post
                        New build has got arp head and main studs. B25 used raceware as I already had them from when I was building the b28 bottom end. Manifold and turbo will be for sale very soon Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
                        That makes sense, I just couldn't work out given the price difference for the raceware stuff! Send me a PM about the manifold when you know of a price

Comment

ooh nice update! quite the turbo too.
                          Going to be running MS42 on this for dual vanos? Why did you start with the NV head?
                          Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                            ooh nice update! quite the turbo too. Going to be running MS42 on this for dual vanos? Why did you start with the NV head?
                            MS43 on this one. Started with NV head for dual valve springs. Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Comment

Cool, I saw your vanos gains on your e46, hopefully you can replicate on this setup.
                              Any reason not to use a TU or M52 head for the lighter valves? The springs fit, don't they?

And derp I see now where you mentioned MS43 above.
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

And this is why I'm building the new engine. Finally started pulling it apart and decided to comp test it before it comes out. I knew it wouldnt be good, but wow, cylinder 6 (bottom right)... Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X