No announcement yet.

The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something this thread hasn't seen in a while... engine progress.

I got a few unexpected days off, so I committed myself to getting Linda running. The 2.7L isn't done yet, so I'm going all in with the 3.1L. Any ugly bits you see on the engine are just place holders for shiny painted stuff that I don't have done yet. Got the rest of the studs installed in the head, assembled a lot of small crap like the flywheel and clutch. Went with the RHD 7lb flywheel, a stock Sachs disc, and a Sachs 618 PP. I also fit the IJ Teflon Scraper. One of the rocker shafts wasn't perfectly aligned in the head, glad I caught that.

I'm going to fire it up on a stock ECU for now and then convert over to Megasquirt later- I am still a bit stressed by that process, as I don't know exactly what fine print I have to do to get it running on the Whodwho unit outside of the basics. Don't mind my engine assembly room, ie, a space I cleared in front of the car. I had to literally dig the car out from piles of parts to work on it. Too much stuff, not enough time.

I hope to get it running tomorrow, but we'll see. I've been robbing spare parts for all of these other cars that come through and leave that I am missing a few bits here and there that I may have to pull from one of the parts cars.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Those headers looked sexy af, hope to hear how they sound soon brother!
      '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Awesome progress and great catch on the rocker/cam lobe alignment. It will be glorious to hear this beast on open headers....

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
          Those headers looked sexy af, hope to hear how they sound soon brother!

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
          Awesome progress and great catch on the rocker/cam lobe alignment. It will be glorious to hear this beast on open headers....
          Yes, I am quite excited to get a midpipe made and connected to the Stromung as well! It'll be loud, but a good loud, I hope. I am so glad I caught that rocker shaft issue... otherwise I would've been very sad in a few hundred miles.

I got the engine in, but didn't get it running. I took the time to get my sandblasting setup going so I could refinish the necessary pieces on the engine. Just went with a bright silver for simplicity. I'm letting them cure inside until tomorrow before I put them on.

Oh, and for those who thought I was kidding about having to dig out Linda, here's proof. It is so stressful working in a garage this full.

Engine going in:

Aaaaaand she's home. Got the transmission bits buttoned up as well. It feels so good to shift through the gears, even on jack stands.

Refinished engine bits:

1/1/21 - more progress this evening. I decided to give parts a deserving makeover which is taking more time, but I think it'll be worthwhile. Also got my r134 conversion started and ordered my last piece to that puzzle (late model switch for the denso compressor)

Last edited by AWDBOB; 01-01-2021, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I couldn't figure out why I didn't have fuel/spark, traced my steps and realized I put the fuel pump relay in the main relay spot. Swapped 'em over and turned the key and she fired! This thing sounds rowdy. I'm waiting on a few small bits before I complete the cooling system, at which point I can run it for a bit longer. I am excite!

Click the photo to see the video:

Comment

Big fan of the chop!

Comment

dude!!!! so happy for you.
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by amcp View Post
                  Big fan of the chop!
                  As am I- I hope it stays!

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
                  dude!!!! so happy for you.
                  Thanks, man! Can't wait to get this thing broken in and converted over to megasquirt.

--------

I forgot to drop an updated engine bay photo with the video above. I have a Dbilas Flowmaster Air Intake in the mail to get rid of my hot air intake, and then I'll need to run some wiring for the iX washer fluid resevoir I have for it. The only thing I don't have a good mounting solution for is the cruise control. I looked into using an early model unit since they mount to the side of the engine bay, but they are not interchangeable with a late model cruise control system.

Comment

Sounds wild man, congrats
                    '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                      Sounds wild man, congrats
                      Thanks!! Hearing it run has really gotten me in gear to tidy up the rest of the bits I've left unfinished.

-----------------

As part of my A/C conversion, I had to replace my electric pusher fan with a puller fan so I could fit the new parallel flow condenser. I got the same medium profile Spal fan with the Condor fan mounts, but sadly the M42 end tanks are thiccc bois because and the puller fan setup doesn't clear the radiator. So, I had to switch back to an M20 rad setup. The parts for that are in the mail, and then I can get some miles on this thing.

I never buttoned up the interior from the new dash install, so I took time to do that. I have just been doing as much as I can to tidy up projects that have been looming for quite some time.

Puller fan no fit:

Reinstalling stud for late model coolant overflow that I cut off in a past life.

Got the rear clip for the non-airbag knee panel to fit nicely over the nut on the steering column. Airbag column is thinner, so this clip has to go over the nut otherwise it doesn't stay on and your new shiny panel will sag and break.

Not a bunch of disassembled bits anymore woohoo

Comment

Congrats Bobbie, looks and sounds fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by CompleteCustoms View Post
                          Congrats Bobbie, looks and sounds fantastic!
                          Thanks!! If you have time Saturday you need to stop by the house as well to check Linda out.

-------------

When I got this car I cut off the airbox bracket, which I have regretted ever since. I found a decent way to mount the relays and executed that tonight. I used thread-serts in my coolant overflow and then made some countersunk bolts to hold it in place. I can't run the relay cover but it's a half decent mounting solution all things considered.

I also mounted the m20 Nissens rad and got the puller fan sorted. Fit/finish was junk compared to what Nissens usually produces. I may exchange it for a different unit. Bends in the core, a bunch of casting flaws, etc etc. The only way my fan would fit properly was off to the side. I am hoping this is adequate. Part of me wishes I just ran a stock aux fan and a stock mechanical fan, but it's a bit too late for that. Dbilas is having supply chain issues due to covid, so my intake order is still unfulfilled, sadly.

I have exhaust work lined up, so the plan is to finish the cooling system, get the exhaust done (which will mean having an 02 sensor again), finish breaking the engine in, and convert over to megasqurit, tune it, and dyno it.

A large part of me wants to sell the car when it's done to focus on the M3, but we shall see what happens.

Comment

Oh man... the "thinking about selling" line made me sad. Sell the M3 instead ;)

This machine is turning out incredibly cool

Comment

nice job! i'm all for focusing on the e30m3. get to work!!!!
                              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

At least put some miles on it before you sell it. You've spoken in this very thread about how you always build cars just to sell them when they're done without enjoying them.

Comment

Working...
                                X