10k RPM – 1991 Diamantschwarz 318is Slicktop – 231hp NA M42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chriso View Post
    I'm very close to just selling it and getting an S54...
    Please don't. Once you get this sorted out it will be one of the most unique e30s ever. You wont regret getting through this last step.

Have you tried contacting ECU Masters support and getting a referral? Or road trip to their HQ in Texas and say, "fix this please".

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
      What are you having issues with getting the car running? Seriously we can help you out!

If its the injectors does the software have a scope for the crank position sensor so you can see if its getting a reading? Engine wont fire (ign or fuel) without it.
      Essentially, what they gave back to me was a wired car, no pinout, and a blank ECU.
      So, I’m at the point where I figured out which injector is which, and which spark plug is which.

A few other things are mapped, but not all the sensors.

So, I need help essentially mapping all of the sensors into the ECU where they should be, and finding my way around the software.
      Which metrics am I looking at? How do I properly log and problem solve?
      How do I build a fuel map and prevent my massive injectors from flooding the engine?
      How to I ensure proper timing? What is proper timing on my engine?
      How do I set up the knock sensors to not be overly sensitive?
      AlphaN is foreign to me. How does it work with the MAP and IAT sensors?

For me, it’s entirely around using professional software that expects you to know everything about tuning. This isn’t something I, or my friends, have experience with, so it was always the plan to shop it out and have someone do this part, and I could learn by looking at logs and seeing the setup completed.

Unfortunately, the shop that said they could do it, could not, and never finished it, and we went with their recommended setup as they said they’d be happy to continue to tune it after the initial tune. They seemed to be my ECUMaster shop, and had the pedigree of building numerous drift cars and race cars. So, after dropping another $3,000 in parts while it was there in ECU, Injectors, and brake booster, I’m just exactly back to where I started, only with an ECUMasters EMU Black instead of a Tec3r.
      1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
      2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
      2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
      2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
      1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
      1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Comment

If you don’t already have it, here is the pinout for your ECU: https://www.ecumaster.com/wp/wp-cont...ack_pinout.pdf

most things have only one place to go so its obvious. Anything thats not obvious “should” be setup in the configuration for easy traceability. For things that are not setup or you are unsure of you can do a continuity test on the harness. Its the diode symbol on the multimeter and you touch the ECU pin you are trying to see what its connected to and test the various leads you think it may be connected to until it beeps.

I wasnt able to download the software for the unit onto my machine, but if you can post the help I can tell you what to verify.

seriously, I know its daunting but this can all be sorted with a little patience. In the end you will know a lot about how the engine and management systems work! Its worth it. Dont give up!
        -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

In this link is the tuning manual as well, lots of good info in there: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...8g&usp=sharing

If you connect with the laptop in the primary trigger area should be a scope like they show on pg84. Look here first to see if the ECU is even recognizing the signal and what it looks like. Without crank signal nothing will work so we get this sorted first.
          -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Due to life, I am considering selling this project.

I’m unsure how to price it, but I recently started my own business, and money would be incredibly helpful, especially given that I dont currently have the funds that this project deserves to be brought to completion.

Not sure if it’s even worth selling in its non-op state…

Current specs:

1991 BMW 318is Slicktop

Rebello Racing M42 (Antioch, CA)

J&E Pistons

12:1 Compression

Sunbelt Camshafts

.600 Valve Lift

Solid Valve Lifters

Injector Dynamics id1050x Injectors

Audi R8 Coilpacks (Coil-on-Plug conversion)

ECU Masters EMU Black Edition

Custom, Labeled, Wiring Harness

Custom Crank Underdrive Pulley / Damper

RHD Engineering Individual Throttle Bodies

Bosch iBooster Gen 2 Brake Booster

Ground Control Coilovers 525/750lb

E46 ZHP Steering Rack

Z3 1.9L Short Shifter

Medium Case 4.10 LSD

Apex Arc 8

Alcantara MTech 2 Steering Wheel (360mm)

BMW Motorsport Seat Belts Front and Rear
            (Red, with BMW Motorsport Printing, OEM dated 1991, I believe they were from an E36. Printed, not stitched).

Full Interior, good condition

Mazda RX7 / VW Corrado BBK Kit

Racing Dynamics Strut Bar

Powerflex Polly Bushings all around

Mishimoto E36 Raditor

Mishimoto E36 Expansion Tank

Electric Fan Conversion (Mishimoto E36 Kit)

Plastic Cooling Pipe Delete

Heater Core Delete (Still have all the parts)

AC Delete (Still have all the parts, mounts still in place)

Reinforced Subframes

Comes with stock engine, ECU, and harness as well.
            Stock engine needs new timing chain slide.
            Last edited by chriso; 07-20-2022, 06:53 PM.
            2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
            2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Darn, was really hoping to see this come to life!

Hopefully you can find a buyer to finish it. At some point if you decide to part it out let me know.
              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Me to.

It’ll be twice as much to build it later.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Unfortunately you'll probably have a hard time finding someone who will buy the whole project.

Projects as we all know are very personal and not everyone wants to start or finish with someone else's project. Especially if it isn't finished and will require someone to pick up with a trailer and boxes.

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                  Me to.

It’ll be twice as much to build it later.
                  Echoing this statement too, if you really have to sell it, I get it. But leaving E30s and coming back later they'll just be even more expensive.

In my opinion, it may be easier to part out. Start with listing the engine and that sort of stuff. It may sell in pieces much faster than as a whole - and you'll make back more than as a project.

The issue is, you may be left with parts this way, but maybe not.

Hell I see a few things I'd take, depending on price.
                  • E46 ZHP Steering Rack
                  • Z3 1.9L Short Shifter
                  • Alcantara MTech 2 Steering Wheel (360mm)
                  • Reinforced Subframes

I understand you gotta do what is best, but personally I'd find money another way.
                  Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

All of this is irrelevant if I could just find a remote tuner willing to work with the car, but unfortunately I’m not having any luck finding anyone with custom engine experience. Everyone I’ve spoken to is only interested in working on cars with off-the-shelf bolt on modifications or turbos.
                    2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                    2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Did you check out ace Peformance?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                        Did you check out ace Peformance?
                        Just sent them an email.

While I’m going to this process, I’m still open to chatting with people on offers, but my main reason for seeking offers is to even entertain if the thought of selling is worth it.
                        My fear here, is that it would be a hard sell to get an offer of even what the cost of mods in the engine bay and ecu/harness, let alone the restoration of the rest of the car.
                        2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                        2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Its not worth it to sell! we would all rather you get it going and enjoy it.

Check with Gunni at gstuning.net. He is in Germany now but knows these engines well and also knows many ECUs. Check with him before giving up!

What part are you having issues with? If we can get it running anyone with half a brain and a dyno can tune it.

-Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
                            Its not worth it to sell! we would all rather you get it going and enjoy it.

Check with Gunni at gstuning.net. He is in Germany now but knows these engines well and also knows many ECUs. Check with him before giving up!

What part are you having issues with? If we can get it running anyone with half a brain and a dyno can tune it.
                            I follow guides, and it’s just not making progress. No changes in logging or ignition regardless of what I change settings wise. I’m pretty sure it just needs to be configured properly, but even reading the books and following the steps doesnt produce any measurable improvement or change.

I’m sure it’s dead simple to anyone that’s done this even once. Once it’s running, I’m sure any tuner would be willing to get it tuned properly. Step 1 is the issue.
                            2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                            2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

So Nick told me to come check this out.
                              I specialize in exactly this scenario , the whole getting it going and getting it mapped from nothing and nowhere, if you wish to use my services just reach out on instagram
                              about me - History (gstuning.net)
                              Then instagram - @gstuning_ and @pnpecu
                              I´ve tuned a ton of ECU Masters and plenty of M42 in my day. My first standalone ecu tuning was on my own M42 back in 2005 or so!

I should mention I guess, that I do alot of remote tuning these days.
                              Gunni
                              @ Prodrive / Aston Martin Racing

Comment

Hope you're able to get this motor up and running, you've come so far

Comment

Working...
                                X