No announcement yet.

10k RPM – 1991 Diamantschwarz 318is Slicktop – 231hp NA M42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small update, the final step that we're waiting on is for ECUMaster to respond to us regarding an issue with the EMU Black not able to fire the injectors, but they can be fired manually.

Hopefully we'll hear back soon.
    1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
    2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
    2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
    2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
    1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
    1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Comment

Bit of a sad update today, but mostly due to my lack of knowledge on tuning and custom ECUs which puts me a bit over my head.

I picked up the car from the shop before the winter, I think back in October. The car has sat in my garage with me trying to tinker with tuning since getting it back.

Unfortunately, the shop that was working on it was also in a bit over their head with work, and didn’t have time to finish my car after 1.5 years. I place no blame on the shop, and they were honestly pretty nice guys, and I would recommend others to go there for non-project service, or standard / common projects (i.e. M5X swaps, N54 builds, etc).

Back to my car:

The shop got me to a great base point. A phenomenal harness, nicely labeled. ITBs mostly installed. Injectors installed. Fuel rail made (needs some touch up as it has a leak in the valve, which should just be a valve swap), and the brake booster installed (mostly, needs lines cleaned up, nbd as they aren’t leaking, but will need to re-bend/remake the lines).

On my side, I never thought about how difficult it would be to find a tuner in Vermont willing to work on a tune for the car. Pre-pandemic, I called every shop between Vermont and Boston, and was not able to find anyone experienced with ECUMasters or working with a custom engine willing to take on a job, as there’s plenty of work not doing these types of jobs.

Any advice available from the community? Anyone have a hookup in the New England area that would be able to use some magic? I know it’s so close, I just have no idea where to begin at this point, or how to proceed safely for the engine.

Will make a separate post later with some photos of the build as it sits. It’s still much further along than my previous post.

EDIT: I want to give a HUGE shoutout to Rama from RHD and ECUMaster AUS. He has been an incredible help and resource throughout this project. He’s a gem of a community member, and everyone should give him support for all of the projects that have allowed us to do amazing things with our builds.
      2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
      2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Originally posted by chriso View Post
        Any advice available from the community? Anyone have a hookup in the New England area that would be able to use some magic? I know it’s so close, I just have no idea where to begin at this point, or how to proceed safely for the engine.
        Jake from Classic Daily would do it. He's an M42 wizard and is always willing to take on unique tuning projects. He's remote, though, but that's honestly not a huge issue with tuning.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I was also thinking Jake might be a good fit, has done a lot of custom stuff and I know he can tune. One of these days I may have to send him my metric mechanic M42 2.1 for some itbs, a standalone and tune. Maybe next winter...

Comment

There is a VEMS tuning shop in VT. I know you don’t have that system but in reality all the systems are similar. Id give them a call and see if they can help out. Never dealt with them besides buying components but worth a shot as its in VT.

What are you having issues with specifically? Injectors not firing? Maybe we can help you figure it out :)

Wish I had the ability to fly out. Would like to go to the east coast and wrench on an M42. Dang family always needs me.
            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
              There is a VEMS tuning shop in VT. I know you don’t have that system but in reality all the systems are similar. Id give them a call and see if they can help out. Never dealt with them besides buying components but worth a shot as its in VT.

What are you having issues with specifically? Injectors not firing? Maybe we can help you figure it out :)

Wish I had the ability to fly out. Would like to go to the east coast and wrench on an M42. Dang family always needs me.
              Last I spoke to VEMS they were booked up tuning WRXs, unfortunately, and they didn’t want to touch anything custom. I just reached out to Nick, their tuner, again. Wish me luck!

However, if the family lets you go on a small ski vacation to VT, flights on me if you want to wrench!
              2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
              2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Last I spoke to VEMS they were booked up tuning WRXs, unfortunately, and they didn’t want to touch anything custom. I just reached out to Nick, their tuner, again. Wish me luck!

However, if the family lets you go on a small ski vacation to VT, flights on me if you want to wrench!
                Update: VEMS won’t touch ECU Masters.
                2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Call around to a few race shops and see what they use. Emtron / ace performance is up your way. Standalone is only as good as the tuner.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                  @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Update: VEMS won’t touch ECU Masters.
                    that SUCKS...

I hope you're not getting ready to throw in the towel
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Pretty much any standalone these days will work so just find one that is well supported in your local area. It is a mistake not to
                      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                        Call around to a few race shops and see what they use. Emtron / ace performance is up your way. Standalone is only as good as the tuner.
                        Talked to a few race shops around here, but they wouldn't touch my car because it wasn't LS based or "over 1,000 horsepower".

Other shops that do custom builds ship their ECUs out and will only do cookie cutter builds.

Island Racing,
                        Vermont SportsCar (Obviously they won't touch it as it's not Subaru)
                        Green Mountain Gearheads
                        VEMS
                        RPM
                        Quentin Brothers
                        Wile Motorsport

All a no-go.

My last resort was the shop I dropped my car off at 2 years ago, and ended up getting it back right where I left it off, essentially.
                        2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                        2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

that SUCKS...

I hope you're not getting ready to throw in the towel
                          Trying hard to stay motivated. I can't throw the towel in, as it's too close to do that, but close to putting it on pause until I can afford to ship it across the country or something.

I really want to make this engine work, but I'm very close to just selling it and getting an S54...
                          2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                          2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Don't be afraid of remote tuning, there's plenty of talented tuners out there.

Comment

What are you having issues with getting the car running? Seriously we can help you out!

If its the injectors does the software have a scope for the crank position sensor so you can see if its getting a reading? Engine wont fire (ign or fuel) without it.
                              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Trying hard to stay motivated. I can't throw the towel in, as it's too close to do that, but close to putting it on pause until I can afford to ship it across the country or something.

I really want to make this engine work, but I'm very close to just selling it and getting an S54...

or

Nicholas Pavloski at Cohesion Motorsports.

Im building a 140MM rod S50, Solid lifter, S54 oil pan and ITBS,... Thats when you should do the S54!!
                                Last edited by moatilliatta; 02-09-2022, 07:39 PM.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                                X