No announcement yet.

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting the mold making process. I’m using a borrowed hood and was asked to not clean it up at all, so I took the jankiest vinyl I could grab and wrapped it first to protect the patina. Gonna mean I’ll have a decent amount of work to do to the mold before I can pull a part, but it’ll be nice to have.

Comment

Sounds great! Reminds me of a Billy Boat m20, with a bit more crisp. Well done.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

A quick little lunch break job. Pull handles. Going minimalist on the door panels for now. May get fancier later.

Still need to machine some caps to cover the ends, but they’ll work for now.

Comment

With end caps and a plate to make sure the caps stay straight.

Another project I’ve been messing with. Hope to have it done by the end of next week.

Comment

What can't you do???

Amazing!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

I've just read through the whole thread and must say that your project is fantastic. Your bandwith of skills is really impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                What can't you do???

Amazing!

Brain surgery. But I’m reading a book about it.

Originally posted by geckster View Post
                I've just read through the whole thread and must say that your project is fantastic. Your bandwith of skills is really impressive.

Thank you. I’m just a guy who likes to work with my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
                  Brain surgery. But I’m reading a book about it...

I find YouTube videos are much more helpful with hands-on stuff like brain surgery
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

[QUOTE=adam.nonis;4889578]Just like everything else, trying to do something simple turns into more. Just trying to install a short shifter and the selector on the trans’ bushing was shot. Looks like you’re just supposed to replace it whole. I just bored out what was left and made some aluminum replacement bushings.

You're doing some interesting things, but that shifter bushing is also a pivot joint; it needs to be a durable, slippery material, like delrin or bronze. The aluminum will eventually bind/gall, then wear out.
                    '91 325i

Comment

Every time I come back to this thread it gets better and better!
                      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post

You're doing some interesting things, but that shifter bushing is also a pivot joint; it needs to be a durable, slippery material, like delrin or bronze. The aluminum will eventually bind/gall, then wear out.

Guess that’s when I’ll replace it. Any idea how much it rotates? Or what motion causes rotation at that joint? Just trying to gauge how fast I should get a replacement here.

Comment

Still loving this thread, keep it up !

How did you attach the cnc "volvo amazon" plate to the valve cover ?
                          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                            Still loving this thread, keep it up !

How did you attach the cnc "volvo amazon" plate to the valve cover ?

Welded a couple spots around the edge and plug welded from the inside.

Comment

Speechless, way to go man. You're the truest definition of *built not bought*
                              @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

So, I think I killed my fan clutch last night. I was doing a bunch of service stuff (timing belt, tensioner, cam seals, water pump, hoses and belts) and while I had the fan off I degreased it and scrubbed it down. Last night on the way home it started running hot. Since I replaced the thermostat a while back, it hasn't run anywhere but dead straight up once it warms up. I got home and started trying to think through the possible issues. Air pocket, too much anti-freeze/not enough water, etc. I'm pretty good at getting all the air out of the system, so I don't "think" it's that. On the way to work this morning, if it would start running hot, I'd shift into a lower gear and bring the RPMs up and it would start cooling down (I know that technically decreases load, but not much on a flat road). Once I got to work I popped the hood and while it was still hot (car off), I could freewheel the fan with ease. When it's warm, isn't that when the fan should lock up and be closer to 1:1?

Comment

Working...
                                X