Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IDM View Post
    Did you have the vin tags custom made?
    Pukar Designs offers them as part of their reproduction sticker sets.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post

Pukar Designs offers them as part of their reproduction sticker sets.
      good luck getting ahold of him right now. He is very very very backlogged due to some personal issues.

Comment

Still waiting on upholstery to complete, but it looks like we're almost there.

This weekend I had the front end covered in xpel clearbra, custom free hand wrap rolled in everywhere possible. Came out nice. Also applied Laminx to the headlights and foglights to keep them pristine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
          Still waiting on upholstery to complete, but it looks like we're almost there.

This weekend I had the front end covered in xpel clearbra, custom free hand wrap rolled in everywhere possible. Came out nice. Also applied Laminx to the headlights and foglights to keep them pristine.

Damn that is just so pretty.
          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

just wondering, what panels did you cover?

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
              just wondering, what panels did you cover?
              "Everywhere possible" seems to cover it. Not cheap to apply when converting to labor, but noticed "free" in the OP.

I am more curious to the damage, or lack thereof to the substrate when the coating is applied.

We had "clear bra" after the "car bra" days, and after time, both were more corrosive to paint (aka substrate) in the late 90's. Love bugs were barely a thing then, but today, a short drive from Miami to Sebring coats everything in bug guts, and are near impossible to remove if left too long. Windscreen washers and wipers just make everything worse here, best is just to remove the remnants physically, much like expanding construction foam.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

I am more curious to the damage, or lack thereof to the substrate when the coating is applied.

We had "clear bra" after the "car bra" days, and after time, both were more corrosive to paint (aka substrate) in the late 90's. Love bugs were barely a thing then, but today, a short drive from Miami to Sebring coats everything in bug guts, and are near impossible to remove if left too long. Windscreen washers and wipers just make everything worse here, best is just to remove the remnants physically, much like expanding construction foam.
                I think these have come a long way since those days. You see people getting PPF (paint protective film) on super cars and hyper cars. I think if it were detrimental to the substrate they probably wouldn't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post

I think these have come a long way since those days. You see people getting PPF (paint protective film) on super cars and hyper cars. I think if it were detrimental to the substrate they probably wouldn't do it.
                  Not for nothing, but have you ever been to a track event where there's exotics everywhere? lol. I see them putting masking tape and all kinds of things on their cars (have instructed in and driven some, even). I was thinking more along the line of today's paints being lesser quality than the past due to EPA regulations. Original e30 paint seems to last forever, yet you see modern cars with huge sections peeling off etc.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

I heard recently that apparently new Mazdas are prone to rock chips due to water based paint (assuming old was oil based, but I don't know). Same applies to house paint, oil based paint is much more durable than water based. Thanks to the EPA, quality paint is now no longer available, and will result in things being painted much more frequently since the paint doesn't last. I have a feeling we will find that the more frequent use of paint, despite being more environmentally friendly, will actually end up more wasteful/environmentally harmful than just using good, oil based paint over a 50 year time period.

Comment

Ha, freehand wrap, not free! No one makes a templated kit for this car, no one clear bras a e30 these days... so it had to be hand made.

I have the entire front valance, iS lip spoiler, top and bottom front bumper, and the front 1 foot of the hood and fenders. Anything more seems silly considering what limited use I will have on the car, and the boxy shape doesn't lend for chips much back from that area.

The paint is almost a year old at this point, its plenty cured to accept the PPF. We typically like to see paint cure for 3-4 weeks before applying films for risk of smearing paint under the surface tension of stretch to fit template kits.

Comment

HA! Free hand was two words in the OP, thinking free and by hand (a$$umed a friend was helping out).
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

Not for nothing, but have you ever been to a track event where there's exotics everywhere? lol. I see them putting masking tape and all kinds of things on their cars (have instructed in and driven some, even). I was thinking more along the line of today's paints being lesser quality than the past due to EPA regulations. Original e30 paint seems to last forever, yet you see modern cars with huge sections peeling off etc.
                          anytime i've been to the track with a bunch of exotics it's always a grand prix or something. They def put all types of everything to hold everything together.

Comment

Clear bra seems like the way to go. Do you have any intention of a dyno day in the future, or does anyone know how the stroker build spec compares to stock?

Comment

A small update today,,,,

With the interior kit coming very soon I decided it was time to strip the old upholstery off the seats in preparation and get all of the dirty work out of the way and cleaned up before new covers arrive.

The drivers seat is beyond wasted, but I saved a spare foam set from a passenger seat aside some time ago knowing the foam on the drivers was going to be trash.

Removal of the original upholstery is straight forward, essentially cutting about a hundred hog rings and bending a bunch of pointed tabs back that puncture into the material to hold it in place.

All laid out

and all put back away waiting for new upholstery

Comment

Some more preparation today, cleaning the frames, blowing apart mechanisms for cleaning, that sort of jazz.

The drivers lower frame has the typical broken weld from people bearing down on the bolster over the years. This was stripped of paint and prepared to weld up.

The thigh extender worn screw mechanism was caked with hard, gummy grease. It got cleaned, the worm gear polished, and reassembled with new grease so its butter smooth.

Last task was to disassemble all four recline mechanisms, throw out the old shocks, and prepare them to bathe in the heated ultrasonic tank at work to free up the hard gummed grease inside them which will then be replaced with new so these actuate smoothly. As of now they get stuck and the recline lock doesn't pop back as it should.

Comment

Working...
                                X