Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back in Schwarz: 1990 325i Resto-mod (S62)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1panthertxn View Post
    And from what I understand, the shorter V8 and heavier/longer 6spd trans actually improves the balance of the car, so it should handle nicely as well.
    The longer 6 speed will be nice, but being heavier/longer will not help the weight bias as it is still weight in front of the middle of the car.

On S14.net there was a gentleman that installed his S54 something like 4-6 inches further back, even reboxing his firewall to fit it further back, and it did little to help the balance.

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
      The longer 6 speed will be nice, but being heavier/longer will not help the weight bias as it is still weight in front of the middle of the car.

On S14.net there was a gentleman that installed his S54 something like 4-6 inches further back, even reboxing his firewall to fit it further back, and it did little to help the balance.
      True. I put a bigger battery in the trunk, a small sub, and the E36 M3 exhaust weighs more. When I am done the tuning shop is going to do a corner weight on my car to see how front heavy it is from the S54.

The S62 is around 80+ pds heavier then the S54 (which is 80 pds heavier than the M20), the weight distribution is better in the S62 rearward but it still won't be balanced, considering you are 160+ pds more than the original engine.
      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

My assumption was based off of a thread I previously read where another member did a corner weigh after an m6x and 6spd swap and had almost perfect 50/50 balance. It very well could have been due to other factors, but I vaguely remember being inclined to believe his claims.

To be honest, I’m not particularly concerned with it as I doubt I’ll even be able to tell the difference. It was just another way for me to justify going this route so I could make these noises:
        Code:
         https://youtu.be/QvWOWmEsJuE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        1990 325i

Comment

Originally posted by 1panthertxn View Post
          My assumption was based off of a thread I previously read where another member did a corner weigh after an m6x and 6spd swap and had almost perfect 50/50 balance. It very well could have been due to other factors, but I vaguely remember being inclined to believe his claims.

To be honest, I’m not particularly concerned with it as I doubt I’ll even be able to tell the difference. It was just another way for me to justify going this route so I could make these noises:
          Code:
           https://youtu.be/QvWOWmEsJuE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never need to justify an S62 ever! Just do it lol!
          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

You won't regret the 32v swap.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
            Transaction feedback
            - jpod999

Comment

Nice ! You’ll love the torque and powerband delivery of v8 :) I’ve raced my car with m30 swap for years before and also with m60 swap as well . Don’t skimp on suspension , brakes , differential and tires :)
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Well, it’s been a while, but I’ve been making steady progress.

I have the whole rear subframe reinforced and cleaned up, bushings all replaced with 80a poly, 3.15 Torsen diff with secondary mounting point from Garagistic and Z3M cover all put together and ready to bolt back into the car... except that I realized I have the wrong output flanges lol. New ones came in yesterday and everything will go back in this weekend (God willing).Click image for larger version  Name:	aZ5AZj-OUyBO_yCkwRgjzbjpFzaF_HpDkru1Vc81gh5LwrJ3J_zXWiH7uMxMgFCKehGYCZHyriFwlR6FQho5fUAaBKHNsRKVxuZu2c5P7HXSXQKwCwBXdULasVabRRq56USre5FSucAIGESBwlHP2M0C6Jo8aHLWs29Ia0yVm26xUx6RGjfFl8ykxQUousDY7XOt6kZZ5-rfeAE3nyWX-ImI697MJ1vSHiRwtglSpILpmdhI6ptWDULVDONVBLJ Views:	0 Size:	64.0 KB ID:	9887724

I also made the top half of the radiator support removable to make everything a little easier. I basically just cut right through the support about 1/2” short of each fender, welded in plates on the fenders and boxed in the ends of the support with a plate that matches the ones on the fenders. They are secured by two bolts each.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	z1M2VimLVlBfVa8aBCbNd97L6s6pw4DCC6Xm6wSqOXlHJU0-cA-X_6Ht3cfY_0_Bu-1Y54nCeTEX-Q5CuAxzddiNsWQP3Ej2Lv7TDwE6XhK6jFW5vKnbdHA26hIfC_I1xfylVJ6h5Tgb59AIvflsXvRAVj6YQ2x2LPnt6PXwUDVfmp7BKTw5TnfPwCgIj3-G4XsE7gHOP2zoBCuCyKoBLqQvF5F6I4QTuNRc3E3-oorv6AwABbJBOURFrKtVbU_ Views:	0 Size:	71.9 KB ID:	9887725
                Click image for larger version  Name:	6GRy5GcYaF50EWsXVzbct7DnYP46yHGCJ91YNQ3WdblaThSRAgtaHkUl5pzZpY0NIgzosmSC3jwujmthIl7Ly9KPoWcHt0N0jr8RTVtFfCkKPriPhui8frynJ9YULtl0s39-DKW8uDvKiAoYZa0OyN3jx6eMxMKm610dPIvwTGEgez6rbv-4nS7LTFCyDjswA3-ZpW8uNH8CQbXCswu98ZeGoMUOkIHfKVqKtphuoY-gFkx9JiOMKNk045l3WN6 Views:	0 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	9887726

I made some U shaped brackets that I slid about 2" into the vertical sections of the radiator support and welded in place. The bottoms of the brackets easily slide into the bottom section of the radiator support and bolt in.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	eMO3lGB7FLokjr6PCRZZ0EC0pOGWfnh3lk85zxo5_IDP3MbAw8RPWiEdtEx-xvLTmGvSyZuPDlp90q0_FIv9NfZCd0phNCLnyp_V4zgX9l8vZANdwlw8CdoRvAX4q0iXTsZQh_efm_PVHGICugeaSZaXJNHiv03FB6Peh5XLLHL28f8dBgGCNRH6xsYzZgJoGO_23o_miqR8Y0FklBdgos9BlLPBS7miMopnJSWoAQKjLnt4rbVOyRtyL2k3St_ Views:	0 Size:	75.7 KB ID:	9887727
                Click image for larger version  Name:	WsMXZ2otB12P4zO5jEtu1sArNVIrQrMoZ4YnmOXyurachoN9900ObvRbGdmA9uHE02Moo7zhqyr4kwe95U0OEdDb43r0E8bCW8pIeOBUi6CmDktmfv-LUjjcvoCtoEZPLk_urnHeJPFjKbOXxbWo2nomDklU4NG4XWTIx1S7EgsbDJZR-6fmE7BFcDY3KAORrekHci3J0XZ-T4-tppsqtPXLMGckDumc03UcRIhpfLFMCba7e8DS-Bxl8Zv__Gd Views:	0 Size:	93.3 KB ID:	9887728
                Overall, I'm happy with the way the removable support came out. Everything is very solid when bolted together, very easy to take back apart, and should look pretty clean once I have everything cleaned up and painted.
                1990 325i

Comment

The brake setup has been, by far, the most complicated part of this project. Trying to get this pedal box modified to work with the e34 remote booster setup was a real chore. Following the Macalent guide, I moved attachment for the brake pedal and push rod about 3.5" to the left, shaved the plastic clutch pedal, spaced the master cylinder to the left to make room for the brake push rod, and welded in supports for the new master cylinder mounting points.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	NPUdyScQyw3mKBuqu1xCHRDPGwTxdnSjPMZm4D9z4c-2XxkvUofiDkG6FeNM_EQ3WILAjH8v1nW5WAC31-AG51x9YaNJtqQkdHP3NIOi2ynR2--P5jT3RnIaie1s6SKJXrXZlL5qe9XPVuCF6eTWjOpTB6l7XHfYrS8oGz6EuBIgxjR2jeypKEGynOXBtTESIycU4To6t74kCQVliR35X8TEFYnOOemN47xcODuXxAHJ7aesltjtMWrDbiRUb_r Views:	0 Size:	88.4 KB ID:	9887739
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	l7tH_T3qwdUu1B30XBg8nZBkTD90UHnH_f19vZmN8zETbESE5FDKf0AEbOBeVgCLjG7fc7R8nWeOBOhperyqbBWcHmbZ32XyojGi_x-anQeYKKbS7wM9eUT4pC2dRkSDXWNXbtPRWbTQxkBHWK0FL3tIyYq5EGGyKVUuhM23LjmaTEx-dPvnq767bBXkUUDV__eyUbJ07AZyp8ckQVihvmhl6V6jBRDSCfvSPnM2yDyNDQjqr-sOkKjFgWJT1Rm Views:	0 Size:	103.4 KB ID:	9887740
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	RrdHONQ64GYtYF5bd2lStNOc5xV1NNYmZ4RVEfh9-9Bcm3y6nPzWwqWG7rtY5ZL1cWs8MWQb9uA-hBfSRCI3N8dPbyxDxYl7Xb0-EgZkgKEVzdIjsdRA3lZsJQ4i0GQLoBtyNlGaANstb8VDj_O3d-1l5Mcnqd9UC8vmRPdsLeOGf9KzM8uuHIXDLU_LN86iyhC-anfa8s-9DrLPpUA7qL4m5pkj3ZRie80YU9hdPlZ_x32AIFyo5nn90bYgYK6 Views:	0 Size:	90.8 KB ID:	9887741

I made a simple 16 ga adapter plate to bolt to the firewall and mount the e34 remote booster knee bracket. Then, I welded up the bracket to mount the knee bracket to the frame rail, cut a small hole through the strut tower support to run the long pull-rod through, and began figuring out how to mount the big booster bracket.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by 1panthertxn; 11-23-2019, 06:29 PM.
                  1990 325i

Comment

I opted to cut about 2" off the bottom of the booster bracket instead of cutting into the frame rail, as it was just simpler to do. I welded an adapter plate onto the frame rail and just drilled two holes through the plate and bracket to bolt it in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	33rAGPX2gxt6rbjzMm5iPaNCJcmgX5hMZY0iNw8ik_CCpTu8HQyWLLTrd5jvEKTBCxMBYgGHDevGhn5XcrB8Nx5E32AAFQMmjL7Zy1m3OEF_GG1BdPMgo45mxZBddPe-82AztYPlgA8Vx5no_Ht90jtCUOoqvkRH9K63m5prSxESVSPBQqvKbuUQHHGw_GzscRWwedKY9iUsTTSORaWQv2p81nqbPWadcDuv8BsAo8ougcRlqk-TrgIWhgqZrGu
Views:	501
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	9887744

Then, I welded a bracket onto the wheel well that bolts onto the topside of the booster bracket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	39lI7CYbHtTJPiQqYMIm0nWMiU4RAoDx_se_O9mNDEB9Cz-zCJD0zG6Yvrys-c2naXjdK6fg26YKtY742zlY3yEl8aN0nqos_G6IqWcg7rOBBi9jqYJzSD6ri8UuHiQSCYViGXLwRZanAJZAQb_YG7Hg75XvLkStZeVUsSpYIvWwqTkLc6ldinYKYJ9jq4vAyXSD97mLzFgV0zBGSkm3_cMpO0ht1Fh1NvJ3y7b4GjXC3lovbcuZ-eaGilqUnkd
Views:	468
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	9887745

The last two steps will be to shorten the pull-rod and the support rod that attaches the top of the booster bracket back to the knee bracket. I'm planning to just cut that support rod and attach it to the shock tower. Things look a little ugly at the moment, but the whole setup seems to be pretty solid and functional for now. I'm sure I'll have some tweaking to do in the future, but I'm glad to have the bulk of this part behind me! I was hoping to wrap up the brake setup this weekend, but the flu had different plans for me . Meanwhile, my new chassis mount shifter and conversion mounts are on their way from Garagistic so I can start mocking up the engine and making some more progress.
                    Last edited by 1panthertxn; 11-23-2019, 06:30 PM.
                    1990 325i

Comment

I got my reinforced subframe, e46 steering rack with new tie rods (e46 inner and e36 outer) and Garagistic 10mm subframe spacers installed yesterday. Today IÂ’ll be bolting the steering column back in and making a new lower profile steering shaft with two e46 shafts. Pics to follow. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by 1panthertxn; 01-22-2020, 07:32 AM.
                      1990 325i

Comment

Wow this is amazing ! You are getting closer to the point of dropping the engine on the car !

Comment

Originally posted by QuiqueUy View Post
                          Wow this is amazing ! You are getting closer to the point of dropping the engine on the car !
                          And here I was thinking this was your car for a second!.. When will you share your car with us!?
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by QuiqueUy View Post
                            It has come a long way! Sometimes I look at it and feel like IÂ’m not making any progress, though. The last few major items I need are: -DME and a flash/tune -Custom headers -Driveshaft from Garagistic -alternator -Power steering pump -A/c compressor -Air plenum cover I actually hoisted the engine into the car the other day just for kicks. It was a little motivating! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by 1panthertxn; 01-24-2020, 06:23 PM.
                            1990 325i

Comment

This is going to be lethally fast. M5s are fast with one already, I can only imagine how something light and little will be.
                              Subscribing.
                              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                                This is going to be lethally fast. M5s are fast with one already, I can only imagine how something light and little will be. Subscribing.
                                I’m really curious to see how it compares to some of the modern sports cars on the street. Living in Houston, I’m sure there will be plenty of opportunities to compare! Either way, it should be a riot to drive. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                1990 325i

Comment

Working...
                                X