[Entropy] - 21 reasons why Celebrities love this workout program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
    Nice work all around. And congratulations on the wins! Now I see how you'll have an "easier" time fitting the mk60 ABS... the 5 lug front struts and rear trailing arms accept the correct wheel speed sensors without modification. Damn... I was hoping you'd have a clever way to fit them into the 4 lug front struts and rear arms. Your suspension geometry saga is both encouraging and disappointing for mostly the same reasons. As I've been trying to learn more about how to improve the E30s alignment and geometry I've also noticed not much information available that really goes into the depths of the process as you have. Encouraging that I'm not crazy to believe it's harder than it appears, and disappointing that it's not easy to come by easily accessible information and combination of parts... I need to learn more. It really is amazing how well these cars can handle with careful consideration into the geometry and setup.
    Thanks!

Yeah, it defiantly helped having E36 Knuckles, I guess you could call these E36/7/8 Trailing arms.... But the MK60 Swap is pretty common amongst many platforms, I'm sure enough info to make it work in the 4 lug kingpin / Trailing arms.

If I were to do it again, which I may... I would go with the DTM style adjusters and reduce the sweep angle like the DTM setup. Even E46 suspension is primitive with the McPherson strut on single swing control arm, and non multilink rear. But hey it works well and these cars are raced everywhere to gather info from. Either track or street use, I think it goes hand and hand.. I just didn't want to make a jig, and to do it right I wanted to check and see how the camber and toe curved looked and try and position the pickup points in the best location for that.

I seen you post the GC weight jackers graphed into the E30 trailing arm, that is quite trick!!!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

February 2021

Progress.

Not as much progress that I would have hoped for, tidying rust as I come across it has slowed things down. I'm not into the restoration part yet so ill weld patches when needed, Rivet and seal some aluminum in other places. Its ok, will deal with it properly later. Ah.. Rust.

I did remove a bunch of unused brackets and tabs to clean things up.

I got back and forth with the spot weld tool and the finger sander. both work well, but I really do like this tool!

While the gas tank is out I'm trying to focus on the rear bits that need welding or grinding. Finally making a mount for my audio control device and and yaw sensor.

I hate mess's

My bridged mount to level the mounting points out

Cut out what was let of my ebrake tubes and started to prep for the new ones to go in

Also cut out the rest of my tank vent hard tube, I got a crazy idea to re-route it to make the seat delete lay flat, and clean the trunk up as the vent line was ran through there..

Got my Ebrake tubes prepped for primer, this is actually quite exciting!

I removed the upper perch's since I am rear coil over now, the lower ones have been removed off the trailing arms when I un reinforced them to get bent.. And... RUST...

OK fine... rustoration...

CAD..

Weld thru prime back section

Fits nice

Burned in

Smooth'd

Coffee..

Since working with 2K primer in a can it has a short shelf life after pop'd So I try and batch everything that needs primed at once. E Brake tubes ready to be welded in!!

Primed my audio / Yaw mounting

Weld thru prime where necessary

Overall this wasn't as bad as expected to replace the Ebrake tubes. I noticed there are 2 different style rear mounting with the E-Brake tubes. One has a tab, one is directly mounted as shown. These are tubes out of a late car and I welded them like they were originally.

A tab securely mounts them up front, I rewelded the tab vs drilling the spot welds.

I had to cut and bend a piece of the rear bridged support to slide the tubes thru, it re bent and welded up nicely.

All the welded bits wire wheeled and primed. Left the brake hose tab for a ground for welding. Umbilical cord...TBC. To be cut.. Brake lines will be bulkhead mounted off the seat belt pick up point triangulation reinforcement's. You can see where I removed weld in nut for some weight savings.

My new gas tank vent tube

Hole prepped

I got the tube welded in but no photos yet..

Added a tab to securely mount the subwoofer from the half attached holes.

Stem Tech Spherical RTABS - TEASER, Still a month out until install I assume. They were machined out for my 1/2 hardware.

Cheers, TBC
      Last edited by moatilliatta; 03-03-2021, 04:13 AM.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

February 2021

Progress. Progress!

Some huge mile stones chipped off the list.
        4 Channel ABS plumbed
        Mk60 ABS Race calibration configured - Weights, track width, ect. Unit in route. This is tough on an incomplete car.
        Trailing arms are 95% Complete. - Waiting on IE rear swaybar. Call #3 today to make sure it shipped!
        An updated title description - Borrowed Time
        318is Pump intake - broke fuel level stud... PSA
        Fixed shoddy out of box spectra premium ETA pump rubber reducer... PSA
        I cant tell you how excited it will be to have an Ebrake Again!

Coming up, some March goals: Vintage is less than 3 months away!!!
        Flushing out brake lines, Swap out ABS units, Bleed and Test
        Fabricate mounts for 16MM Ireland engineering sway bar, I was able to get a turn buckle Style sway bar link from AKG that ill accommodate my dual sheer trialing arm pick up
        Finish dual sheer trailing arm mount
        Powder coat trailing arms
        Assemble rear end - Stim tech RTAB - Bearing, Fag wheel bearing, New Febi Hubs, MSI studs, All new Ebrake bits, Reuse AKG 75D Subframe mounts
        Interior ?
        Epoxy Fuel pump level mounting stud with panel bond - PSA
        Mount front sway bar - E46 M3 Hotchkiss
        Swap out 96+ control arms for 95 the Aftermarket E30 M3 Aluminum control arms
        Inspect rear lower coil over cup for for shorter unit - Axle interference?

Always a few pounds everywhere.

My walbaro had a connector that didn't look to happy, swapped it out for a 318i pump that is known to run an S54, So I've herd

Weld up a stud/ m54 CCV bolt to thread my brake line clip on

Whoot, Tedious plumbing, Especially with stainless steel line. Also seen fuel return and feed hoses

FU - I've had this happen before. Come to find out its a clearance issue with the NEW GENUINE FUEL LEVEL SENDERS OMGWTF, NO MORE VDO PUMPS INSTOCK SHIT! WANT TO MAKE A PSA POST...

Found an adapter fitting after hours of digging to fix the Spectra fuel pump issue. Earlier in this thread you can see we lost a fun race in the 387 race car because of this. Those go fixed with ATL lift pumps. A lot more work - I hope another PSA to come

ETA driver side transfer pump sock indexed

I really wanted to make this happen in 2018 attempts to get to the vintage! So here we go, What I've came up with not to interfere the fuel filler hose. I almost ran a tube strait from the top of the casting to the inner pickup point point like the early DTM cars had... So temped, If I had .75 DOM laying around, I probably would have. Maybe next go if I do DTM adjusters.

Was an intense week - 6am to 11pm days, not many photos, but here we go. And continue to ponder the concept of borrowed time.

Just needs sway bar mounting tabs! I hope its done

Here is why I think the stud breaks.
        1987 Original Equipped

NEW FUUU

OK fixed

Got up north an took a hike for Vday with the GF, in single digit weather. It was actually fun. Cold weather keeps the bugs.. and people away.

Noted in another rust repair thread, Made me think of these as i was cleaning up.. Hmm I wonder where all the bristles went....

Interior Teaser, Poor lighting... More to come!

Sorry for the poor orientation of photos. The Iphone doesn't like to keep the same orientation as I take the photo and photobucket has no option to rotate the photo. Forge on

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Well no pics, but exciting progress.

Hope to have rear and front sway bars on by this weekend. I had to do custom mounting due to the S54 oil pan and the Twin ear E36 diff cover.

Subframe and Trailing arms ready to pick up from powder coating shop this Friday!

Went head and mounted the Doorman E30M Aluminum control arms.

Once I get the seat delete done Ill toss the Subframe back in.

Update with photos Next Wednesday hopefully. Busy Busy, I didn't expect to try and get sway bars in before vintage!

Seats due back in April.

STOKED.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

February 2021

Work

Time is a ticking, A suspension analysis that took a few months too long with data that wasn't strait forward or useable on the 726. Time is a ticking..

Some suspension angles pre ride hight

Trim and rewrap dash from cage work

Lightness everywhere

Super sized piston on a 2002Tii

Found a set of NOS "NEW" Calipers, Seemed like a good options, but they smelt like mold and had rust starting...

End up going Genuine, So cool that BMW can still get these

New spring clips!

Trying to manage boost on the turbo E36.

Busy month, didn't catch too many pictures.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Noted in another rust repair thread, Made me think of these as i was cleaning up.. Hmm I wonder where all the bristles went....

Man I really felt this. I've had to pull more of those exact same damn bristles out of my skin than I care to remember. There are certain pairs of my shop pants and shoes that I put on only to find a sharp little "surprise" still embedded in them when I put them on.

Also, reading through all of last season's races (and wins) makes me really appreciate the dedication, time, and money that goes into racing, let alone having to actually drive the car at a high level. Having replaced several sets of wheel bearings on my E30 and E46 in the last year or two, I couldn't imagine having to replace them and other similarly "difficult" to replace items so frequently. Kudos to you, and congrats on the championship!
              '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

March 2021
                PROGRESS?

YES.

Haven't crashed yet and photobucket is so tedious, Just loads photos that'll think it'll load... But good progress!

Snagged a slick top roof for a future mold for a carbon fiber roof, Lower on the bucket list right now, Just had a great opportunity to get one.

Teaser, Custom horn button!

Devil is in the details, which way is houndstooth sposed to flow?

I didn't expect to go to The Vintage 2021 with sway bars on the car, But to get the Trailing arms powder coated finding the pickup points was a must. Fitting up the Rear 16MM bar. Was on the edge of considering running no bar, So though Id start of with the smallest.

Took some time sorting locations, making sure everything would work together, Didn't go just with a zip.

This is Ireland Engineering's 16MM bar. Trimmed down AKG rear swaybar links so I can adjust the turnbuckle with out unbolting them. Mounted them with a strait though bolt and not with a bracket One annoying detail is the legs of their sway bar are different lengths, I found this out on the spec E30 we run and was annoyingly remembered after fitting the longer side.... Still much better sway bar link angles than stock...

I took their billet mounts and made them for my use

A lot of Power Coating colors are just RAL colors, It took me a while to find what I originally used. Original RAL colors were in German, cool little fact as it was a German coding system.

While things were at the coaters I was able to catch up on the front end. I did go with the Dorman E30M control arms. I fell confident, and they will be replaced with something else I assume before the have enough service to Time Out. They look like quality forged units with the same amount of articulation as the Genuine 96+ units I comaired them too.

New Bearings, I hate adding weight... I wonder if new Genuine ones look like originals. I do know these need machined down if I ever use PFC rotors..

Brake Duct backing plates

Wow Even a front bar!?!?!?! The S54 pan pushed me to a better solution than just the 2 tabs hanging off the Arc Acylium set up. They were beefy, but now were direct into the chassis. After tinkering with parts I found the E46 bar fits pretty well! so I grabbed a Hotchkis bar and it was great match. 30MM hollow front bar. If needed GC makes a bigger bar and much more smaller ones available.

Getting the seat delete frame into position and welded in

This was the point I was hoping to be heading towards 2 years ago at Vintage.. Tada!

Figuring out seat delete colors. I've been so monotone that takes some time. Hard calls,

We have a rear seat delete panel, I used 6MM alumilite panels. Lightweight, Strong, and should deaden sound quite well.

How you want people to think you work and how you really want to.

How your actually work.... not all the time

This diff is not going back in without some studs! Machined up some spacers

Cut down some MSI wheels studs

Always proper loctite and torque

Coming together!

E46 M3 rear subframe nuts, Super nice locking Flange nuts

TBC
                Last edited by moatilliatta; 04-07-2021, 06:07 AM.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Thank you for continuing to update this thread in such detail!
                  it’s such a bummer that threads like this are few and far between! This e30 is so bonkers in every right way and cannot wait to see new progress... especially excited to see interior updates!

Are you doing AER in the same e30 again this year? (Apologies if I missed it somewhere)

Comment

March 2021
                    Cont

We did begin building some Rtabs.. with bearings.. But time pushed that project aside. Stim tech came out with a setup, always good to support products like this in hopes that they grow... And hopes that they'll work for a while!

All the alignment adjuster were marked before disassembly and put back into their locations. These will be harder to adj with the Posi-Lock since they are "Floating" and not held to an "Axis" with an eccentric... But I hope once they are set and with the additional rigidity, not much adjustments should be needed.

Coming together. With more precise rigid components it really puts into perspective of the attention of fitment. WOW looking good!

Longer grade 9 1/2 bolts trimmed down to get more "shoulder" length. the threads end about 1/8 to the nut, hope to rule out flex or sheer points.

I am excited about an Ebrake!

Getting everything together was a little tougher than normal.

After a few week wait I finally get my Nardi personal hub adapter... Wasn't what I expected... The search for a collapsible unit with the rubber boot in in search... Found and ordered from crowder's customizing... 4 week weight. This unit also is quite heavy...
                    I modified the MOMO hub I have and the signal cancel has always been out of sync by 45 deg..

So... I didn't mean to go this far... But I had the wrong pads setting around to get things going.. Ordered new pads and the calipers wouldn't re-track all the way. I always questioned if I should go ahead and rebuild. So no more questions. Stainless Pistons from Bimmerworld, I think made by centric.. and brass guide pins setup.

PFC 08 and Euro E36M zimmerman floating rotors, 12.5mm spacer to bring my front track width wider by 1mm~~

PFC 332 Rear pads zimmerman standard E36M Rotors

Front Swaybar Mounting welded up and primed in spraymax 2k primmer - STOKED

Rear also wire wheeled, Primed.

A frame is made to hold the seat delete bottom, It will be in 2 panels for fuel pump serviceability..

A cool speaker cover I found for the center of the back seat delete. For some mustang, should fit in quite well

And finally, my Motorsports flashed / tuned/ Firmware MK60 unit has arrived. This took a bit as I had to calculate parameters for track widths, and vehicle weight. Tough to do on an uncompleted project.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post

Man I really felt this. I've had to pull more of those exact same damn bristles out of my skin than I care to remember. There are certain pairs of my shop pants and shoes that I put on only to find a sharp little "surprise" still embedded in them when I put them on.

Also, reading through all of last season's races (and wins) makes me really appreciate the dedication, time, and money that goes into racing, let alone having to actually drive the car at a high level. Having replaced several sets of wheel bearings on my E30 and E46 in the last year or two, I couldn't imagine having to replace them and other similarly "difficult" to replace items so frequently. Kudos to you, and congrats on the championship!
                      Id be a sucker if this was all or one project, but somehow they all end up in the remains same pile.. But yes. I fell this too even looking back at this photo.

Thanks! And were running such a basic car. I couldn't imagine something more complex with the small team we had to support from. Luckily everything was fresh and I've done the mechanical side a few times on other cars throughout the years. :)

When I get a chance Ill post up the article from the resent Bimmerlife which has more grit about the season.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyz31 View Post
                        Thank you for continuing to update this thread in such detail!
                        it’s such a bummer that threads like this are few and far between! This e30 is so bonkers in every right way and cannot wait to see new progress... especially excited to see interior updates!

Are you doing AER in the same e30 again this year? (Apologies if I missed it somewhere)
                        Welcome, I enjoy it and it helps motivate. More hours I put into it, the more I start believe that it is bonkers.

Hopefully interior stage 1.5 will be done within the month. Seat delete carpet ordered and seats are 50% done or so by Nine stich.

I am spent.. I think I'm just starting to recoup my energy. And the tow rig had some major repairs last year... This weekend starts the AER season also, a bit sad..

We're looking at a tarmac rallye in south Kentucky later this year.. I really want to get this car reliable and driving, and focus on work this year. Get some miles away.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Zakspeed Bimmerlife Spring / Summer 2021
                            BimmerLife, your home for BMW News, Community Information, Events, Motorsports, and more!

Cheers!

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Good updates and progress. I went from a 19mm to a 16mm to no rear bar, and much prefer no rear bar. It's setup dependent, of course.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                                Good updates and progress. I went from a 19mm to a 16mm to no rear bar, and much prefer no rear bar. It's setup dependent, of course.
                                Thanks!

What front bar do you run? Whats the M20 putting down?

I am hoping the 30MM front bar negates removing rear bar. I considered no rear bar, persuaded on less work... But now was the time to fit it...

If it feels right, I always like having the option to disconnect the rear bar for rain.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                                X