Labor of love from Australia - Malachtgrun convertible running restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Further update...
    Some nice weather and annual leave - no better time to refresh the rear door cards.
    After refinishing the front door cards, the rear section looked a bit shabby.
    Plus the speaker covers had faded and didn't match the surrounding trim.

Out came the back seat, cards and demister trim strip along the back of the seat.

While everything was out, was also a good time to:
    - spray some penetrol into the nooks and crannies to help prevent rust
    - re-wrap any wiring looms that were tired
    - blow-out the demister (was smelling crusty when I used it a few weeks ago)
    - lubricate the window regulators with lithium grease
    - clean down the original bitumen sound deadening & give it a quick clearcoat to help repel dirt & dust

The rear cards were squeaking and rattling, so added some felt tape to keep any contact points quiet.

As usual the most labour intensive part was the preparation.
    Strip off the rubbers & trim...
    Glue down any wayward vinyl...
    Scuff with a gentle Scotch Brite pad and diluted cloudy ammonia to clean-off ingrained dirt & grime...
    Wipe with wax & grease remover followed by a clean lint-free rag...
    Mask-up...
    Then finally a few light coats of Duplicolor Medium beige.

You can see the difference in the speaker covers - RH is unpainted & LH is Medium Beige.

Both done!

Some more Tesa self adhesive cloth tape to stop squeaks.

But also to reinforce the vinyl that tucks under the door weather seal.
    Part of the vinyl had torn.

In they go...
    With a solid 'thunk' as the door cards are seated in the correct position.

Colour will lighten up as the vinyl paint fully cures.

There are a few indentations from a previous repair job - still there but less obvious.
    I'll overlook those as I don't really want to re-skin cards ($$$).

Clean, sharp lines again :)

Eventually when the leather seats need a re-trim, I'll get the seat backs re-covered in the same material.
    But for now, I'll also do the seat backs in medium beige.

Oh yes, and the convertible top cover also got a quick re-colour to match.
    Has a few bubbles, but not up for a re-trim just yet.

Last edited by Tzantushka; 12-30-2020, 02:42 AM.
    E30 320i vert
    But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Great AC write-up. So glad there's finally a compressor conversion bracket for the M20. One question - did you have to modify both lines to the Sanden or just one?

Thanks, Cory
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
        Great AC write-up. So glad there's finally a compressor conversion bracket for the M20. One question - did you have to modify both lines to the Sanden or just one?

Thanks, Cory
        No worries!
        Yes, both lines had to be modified.
        The high pressure line did fit - but had an awkward angle to it.
        So best to cut and splice in a new 45 connector at the right orientation.

The low pressure side has the larger connector to suit the Bosch Behr - so that had to be lopped off and an new one spliced in.
        E30 320i vert

Comment

Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post

No worries!
          Yes, both lines had to be modified.
          The high pressure line did fit - but had an awkward angle to it.
          So best to cut and splice in a new 45 connector at the right orientation.

The low pressure side has the larger connector to suit the Bosch Behr - so that had to be lopped off and an new one spliced in.
          Great. Thanks for the info!

Cory
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

Because we all love pics...

Looking great after a complementary wash from getting a diagnosis to track down a cooling system leak.

Last edited by Tzantushka; 04-25-2021, 04:46 AM.
            E30 320i vert

Comment

Your paint correction seems to be holding up beautifully, paint looks fantastic!
              '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                Your paint correction seems to be holding up beautifully, paint looks fantastic!
                +1

Just love that color.

Comment

Hey Tzantushka, did all this taping help quiet the squeaks? The squeaking is about the most annoying thing about my vert.

Comment

Originally posted by RotCaboy View Post
                    Hey Tzantushka, did all this taping help quiet the squeaks? The squeaking is about the most annoying thing about my vert.
                    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
                    Yes with those panels there was a fair bit of squeaking and also I put some felt tape between the lower seat squab sides and the rear cards.
                    When people were getting in and out the leather was rubbing on the card vinyl making a low squeaking sound.
                    The biggest benefit was the rear quarter window rubber & felt seals.

In other updates...
                    The gradual consumption of coolant was sitting in the back of my mind every time I drove the car.
                    The head was original 198k km (123k miles) with the old style hex head bolts instead of the E Torx head bolts.

So I ended-up doing it right and going for a head-off recondition, gaskets, injectors etc.
                    Well that was back in April when I dropped it off at the workshop...
                    Tear down confirmed a slight coolant leak - cyl #5 was 'steam cleaning' the internals.
                    Hoping for just a tired gasket causing the leak, the cylinder head went off to be pressure tested and reconditioned.

Unfortunately not.
                    Head & valve train was in very good condition except from the wear on the eccentric adjusters.
                    EXCEPT for a small hairline crack above cyl #5 - FML...
                    Couldn't be welded, so it was off to look for a reconditioned head.

Fair to say that the cylinder head reconditioner was a perfectionist and 3x different 731 heads where tried with varying failure modes.
                    Finally secured a good one and the job could be completed.
                    Rather than re-use the valve train, brand new valves, guides, springs went in as the cylinder head guy wouldn't settle for second best - plus I don't want to go through this again!
                    While the head was off, had a the injectors refurbished (ultrasonically cleaned, flow tested & new baskets, pintles & seals).
                    For our Australian viewers these came from AZnew who had a set of recondition Bosch units in stock.

Everything else was also done right - with lots of OE parts where it counts - $$$ ouch.
                    After that setback, more waiting on some OE parts ex-Germany for a while (thanks to COVID induced air freight delays).
                    But last weekend it came back home.

And what a treat.
                    Pulls harder than before (I have mild chip tune from the UK), virtually no valve train noise, much better fuel consumption.
                    And of course no coolant consumption.

And to top this off - now the city & state I am located is in lockdown for the 5th time.
                    At least it's winter over here...
                    Last edited by Tzantushka; 07-20-2021, 03:47 PM.
                    E30 320i vert

Comment

I haven't seen your thread before, what a great project, i just read it all.

I too have recently done the sanden AC compressor replacement as i had lots of trouble finding anyone up in Queensland who would touch the old compressors. Simliar results to yourself, nice and quiet and nice and cold.

Your chrome bumper bars turned out fantastic, i might have to see if i can find someone up here to to the same to mine!

Bugger about your engine, but at least its all back together now and you wont have to worry about it again.

Sucks about the lock down, im sure it will only be a matter of time before QLD goes under again as well.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                        I haven't seen your thread before, what a great project, i just read it all.

I too have recently done the sanden AC compressor replacement as i had lots of trouble finding anyone up in Queensland who would touch the old compressors. Simliar results to yourself, nice and quiet and nice and cold.

Your chrome bumper bars turned out fantastic, i might have to see if i can find someone up here to to the same to mine!

Bugger about your engine, but at least its all back together now and you wont have to worry about it again.

Sucks about the lock down, im sure it will only be a matter of time before QLD goes under again as well.
                        Thanks! Good to see another Aussie here.

From memory there is All Auto Air Compressors in Rockhampton that do the 'old skool' compressor rebuilds.
                        The guy I spoke to sounded like the owner and he knew his stuff but was very cranky... (probably inhaling too much PAG over the years)
                        His view is that the R12 to R134a conversion seal kits just aren't reliable as a brand new compressor designed for R134a.

You're right, it's done right - just waiting for COVID and the better weather to enjoy the car.
                        E30 320i vert

Comment

Cant say i came across All auto. Though i did get quite friendly with "speedy air spares" in Bundaberg. He was able to supply everything i needed (compressor, dryer, tx valve) he even sent me piping and fittings to DIY the lines. All worked out quite well.

My R12 compressor was actually running r134a for quite a few years as the previous owner had done a half assed r134a conversion. lasted at least 3yrs with me, and judging by the sticker in the engine bay quite a few years before that. so dunno, maybe the r12 seals last a while on r134a afterall.

Yep my poor ol car hasn't got much driving over the last 12months. too much working from home and not enough getting out and about!

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post

+1

Just love that color.
                            +1 again, looking really nice!
                            IG: https://www.instagram.com/josh.stacey/
                            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/133952286@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post

+1

Just love that color.
                              Originally posted by jsta1109 View Post

+1 again, looking really nice!
                              Thanks guys - I need to find a nice location, in the right light, free of Coronavirus so I can take some decent pictures.
                              Malachite Green wasn't my first choice (I wanted red...) but glad I went along with it.
                              E30 320i vert

Comment

Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post

Thanks guys - I need to find a nice location, in the right light, free of Coronavirus so I can take some decent pictures.
                                Malachite Green wasn't my first choice (I wanted red...) but glad I went along with it.
                                Funny that, I've never liked or wanted a red car, my E30 is red (really wanted a white one) and of the other five/six cars I've owned 4 of them have been red...
                                IG: https://www.instagram.com/josh.stacey/
                                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/133952286@N03/

Comment

Working...
                                X