Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      +2 Hoopties saved
      the mission has called me and i must follow
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

1(800)Hooptie

I'm loving the progress and lust the time to do the same.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
          1(800)Hooptie

I'm loving the progress and lust the time to do the same.
          You do a mighty fine job at executing detailed work at a high level. The E30 world needs you. I'm not sure the E30 world needs me to save hoopties, but maybe some day in 15 years there will be a couple extra cars on the road that didn't get parted.

I hope to restore the M3 to a high level of quality to get back to not just fixing shitboxes, but the temptation is there to treat the M3 the same way (mechanically strong, ignore cosmetics) until I have the coin/desire for some high end body work.

I think a hooptie is a good addition for most people, vs a second car that is also nice. Jake has plenty of nice stuff, but the hooptie excitement is something very unique to this flavor of endeavor. An itch that isn't quite scratched by nice paint and mint tail lights.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
            I hope to restore the M3 to a high level of quality to get back to not just fixing shitboxes, but the temptation is there to treat the M3 the same way (mechanically strong, ignore cosmetics) until I have the coin/desire for some high end body work.
            I think the real question here is whether you actually want to drive the M3. If yes, take the hooptie approach and enjoy! Then again, I always advocate for getting the car on the road end enjoying it over making it shiny.
            IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by KI4UJO View Post

I think the real question here is whether you actually want to drive the M3. If yes, take the hooptie approach and enjoy! Then again, I always advocate for getting the car on the road end enjoying it over making it shiny.
              I want to drive it! I've joked about spending all of my time and energy restoring the mechanicals and leaving the exterior as-is for a few years to really enjoy the car.

--------------

I found a WhodWho Megasquirt unit set up for wasted spark and an LC2 wideband in a box at the warehouse and ordered head studs for hoopty..... it's a sign

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
              Last edited by AWDBOB; 12-17-2022, 08:51 PM.

Comment

I see nothing wrong with bringing cosmetics back to a 10 and just enjoy the wear and tear... Mechanicals > Cosmetics

Is that MS2 or 1 in the box?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                  I see nothing wrong with bringing cosmetics back to a 10 and just enjoy the wear and tear... Mechanicals > Cosmetics

Is that MS2 or 1 in the box?
                  I agree in regards to mechanicals > cosmetics. Unfortunately with the price of bringing cosmetics to a 10, there isn’t a chance that my brain would enjoy driving the car as such, so the progression will likely be: mechanicals——> enjoy——>cosmetics——>Sunday driver.

It’s whatever he uses- I opened it up and it’s a micro squirt board atop another board. V1.4 of his stuff. It has wasted spark, which will be good for the fate of hoopty.

Last edited by AWDBOB; 12-18-2022, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Things are happening......two new cars appeared in the stable.

Rust free 318iS that needs some sorting

S50 swapped early sedan that is a ripper. I haven't had this much fun in an e30 in quite some time. Was never a 24v guy but this car has changed my mind....

And I did a rear end overhaul on hoopty, replaced all of the poly with rubber, swapped out S3.73 to my leakiest S2.93 for future things, and added a 14.5mm rear sway.

Gonna put the car back on my beloved e38 style 5s from Linda, but the other two are in Michigan still.

Jake's photo, but I bought an e28 goodies twin scroll manifold with t3 TS to t4 TS and a pulsar g30-660 turbo with a TS t4 exhaust housing. Have megasquirt, deka 60lb injectors, wideband, and am going to be running Jake's new M20 turbo kit for testing purposes.

Comment

One of the OG hoopties has been the bane of my existence. A source of deep misery. The '91 318 sedan featured previously in the thread has fought me every step of the way. As the issues piled up, as did my time invested into the car, so I couldn't jump ship.

But today, I drove it. Likely the first time the car has been driven in at least 10 years. But it knew that its job wasnt done. The test drive, as most do, only revealed a host of other issues.

But it moves under it's own power!

Newly discovered issues:
                      -Bad dual mass flywheel, so I have to pull the trans again.
                      -HVAC blower motor is hitting something
                      -Power assist braking doesn't power assist
                      -Car won't idle
                      -Exhaust rubbing all the things

Last edited by AWDBOB; 02-09-2023, 08:21 PM.

Comment

YESSS...moves under its own power is quite the achievement and the Tunes work...so half your problems can be solved with some volume adjustment...ha ha.

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                          YESSS...moves under its own power is quite the achievement and the Tunes work...so half your problems can be solved with some volume adjustment...ha ha.
                          bahaha yes, if only I could tell a potential buyer that.

-----------

Had a bit of a rough realization with the official hoopty. The car originally came from North Carolina and really didn't have much rust, which was why I was okay dumping so much time into the chassis. I only made one winter drive with it, which was when i went up to Jake's to manual swap it. I drive it a lot, but never in winter and barely in rain.

I've been over capacity for a little while by 3-4 cars, so while i finish up backlog so I can bring it in to do the head gasket, the car has been sitting outside, for 6mo or so.

I went out today to install the sound system and button the interior back up, and upon pulling the drivers side footwell speaker, realized that rust was spreading at a rapid rate on this thing. I got to grinding, and discovered the inner rocker letting go, the floor corner behind the fender was letting go, along with all of the terribly quarter panel and rocker repairs on the drivers side. It was really disheartening to see your car more or less evaporating, and was a hard realization that these cars aren't long for this world, and once the shells start to go, it's really tough to stop them.

The rockers were rotting through in multiple spots, as well as the quarter underneath the 1"+ of bondo, so it all had to come off. Now the rust is stopped, but the car looks so bad. I don't have the energy or time to put into another shell. I recently found and stopped rust starting in the passenger rear wheel well that wasn't there when i got the car, along with various spots all over the car. Such a shame that, while these cars are meant to be driven, they're more or less becoming one with the earth, at some rate.

The transmission that I resealed is leaking like crazy already, the power steering system that I totally redid already is puking fluid from various locations..... it's genuinely difficult to keep a shit box on the road, let alone a nice car.

Idk what this means for the future of the hoopties, but I am burnt out, and it's hard to enjoy stuff that, for every hour of driving, you have to put in that same time or more back in, in labor.

Inside the speaker cavity:

Behind the fender:

This whole vertical seam isn't looking very healthy:

The rocker holes that appeared recently:

Back of rocker:

Back of rocker pulling away from floor:

Alarming amount of bondo:

Multiple rust holes all behind the bondo, where it was cracking, causing water ingress:

Stopping the rust, but looks absolutely terrible:

To top off the minty premium sound stuff I found for my audio repair/upgrade, I'll be installing it all with a lukbox, and saw that these went discontinued on Crutchfield again, so found some left over stock and made a forever head unit purchase:

Last edited by AWDBOB; 02-19-2023, 07:56 AM.

Comment

A sorry sight for sure, but just think of it as one of those sick, senior cats at the shelter. They were never long for this world, but at least you gave it love and let it frolick some more for the last couple years of it’s life.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt@EDC View Post
                              A sorry sight for sure, but just think of it as one of those sick, senior cats at the shelter. They were never long for this world, but at least you gave it love and let it frolick some more for the last couple years of it’s life.
                              yes indeed, one of those cats that has a few years left that you spend 6k on vet bills to keep alive, and then it shits on your keyboard and barfs on your phone when its life comes to an end

Comment

What did you cover the rust with? Is that POR-15?

Comment

Working...
                                X