Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by twright View Post
    You've created space for me!

I'll start filling it up. Be there soon.
    There may not even be standing room by the time I'm done

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Dang, that looks great!
    Thanks man! The amish did a killer job and were $35k cheaper than the fancy truck crew guys

------

I dropped Texas Holdem off today for the rest of the paint work, and picked up hoopty finally!

Hoopty had a long list of needs that I forgot about since the car was gone for a while. I threw it on the lift tonight and got right to work.

I had to relash the valves which quieted the head down, change the break in oil, inspect an exploded ebrake assembly, nut and bolt check the car again, etc.

I still need to fix the drivers seat mechanicals, change fuel filter and lines, swap the failed wiper motor, redo the oil cooler mount, and drive it.

The car runs substantially better with the header and new exhaust setup. Now that I'm driving it, I think the car is too loud, so I'll likely throw on a Vibrant ultra quiet like I did on Linda. It sounds good, but not good enough to justify the noise.

The header is coloring up nicely.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

..... I guess I should change these lol

1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Looking back on my records, the fuel line in the last pic was a CRP line that I replaced when I got the car 2yrs ago. Safe to say, I wouldn't recommend the CRP lines that everyone seems to have stopped selling (likely for obvious reasons). Meanwhile my amazon Marine 300psi fuel hose still looks perfect after the same length of time.

I fixed the rest of the needed maintenance on hoopty and took it out for a cruise with a few car buddies. I should've fixed my drivers seat a LONG time ago. Also having a working ebrake for the first time in years is a plus. IDK what let go, but something was very unhappy. I still need to redo the oil cooler mounting and replace the wiper motor, but those things can wait.

The new 2.7 is feeling great after a relash of the valves and a proper break in drive. I'm going to convert it to standalone and do an A/B dyno of the header once I'm done moving shops in a few months. The magnaflow 14815 sounds good full throttle, but not so much around town, so I'm going to add a vibrant ultra quiet resonator like what I had on Linda. Hoopty really needs a supercharger.

The burgundy hatch on the right is an 800hp awd car, and the guy DRIVES it. The green hatch is my buddies hoopty equivalent. We both have 300ish miles on new engines in hoopty chassis. His is a k swap that he built up using spare parts.

ebrake carnage:

Fuel lines (going to miss my lift for jobs like this):

All done:

Hondas:

Comment

Wow , great updates as always bob! had to catch up for the new place you build and all the upgrades on the hoptes!

white one is looking amazing , i'm still debating if getting a new undertray or buy a used one , don't want to put the air ducts and everything without that hahaha

keep it coming !

Comment

Originally posted by QuiqueUy View Post
          Wow , great updates as always bob! had to catch up for the new place you build and all the upgrades on the hoptes!

white one is looking amazing , i'm still debating if getting a new undertray or buy a used one , don't want to put the air ducts and everything without that hahaha

keep it coming !
          Thanks man, trying to do my part to keep r3v alive with the updates.

If you can find a good used under tray locally I'd go that route. If they're still present, they're usually in fine shape. It's the splash shields and fender liners that I find cracked/damaged on almost every car. I have a tall pile of good under trays, but maybe one good set of splash shields.

-----

More news in r3v's worst building journal- the mezzanine is done! Just waiting on the terribly slow city engineer to respond about electrical and I'll be running romex and moving stuff in.

Comment

That’s awesome, how tall is the mezzanine?
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Bob, how have I never come across your thread before?!
              Went through it all just now (will admit to mostly looking at pictures).

Considering how much I love a Hooptie, it looks like you've had a lot of fun!
              Will be following now to see more updates :)
              Last edited by Panici; 04-12-2024, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                More news in r3v's worst building journal
                To be fair, it's only one of two threads I've seen with garage builds, and don't worry, once I finish my garage I'll usurp you from your "worst building journal" throne lol
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  That’s awesome, how tall is the mezzanine?

7ft! Split the 14' wall height. Feels perfecto- 12'x30'. He said he wouldn't be afraid to put 20k pounds on it.... despite that, I only plan on putting lighter stuff up there. Doubling that floor space I think will save me in the long haul, especially with being able to take advantage of hanging parts from the rafters and whatnot.

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                  Bob, how have I never come across your thread before?!
                  Went through it all just now (will admit to mostly looking at pictures).

Considering how much I love a Hooptie, it looks like you've had a lot of fun!
                  Will be following now to see more updates :)

The last few years captured in this thread have been fun/wild. There was definitely some post Covid magic in the air with saving hoopties, going to the Vintage, etc. I think (hope) that once hoopty barn v2 is done and all moved into I may find some space to take a break from hoopty madness. But we all know that's probably a lie

Originally posted by Northern View Post

To be fair, it's only one of two threads I've seen with garage builds, and don't worry, once I finish my garage I'll usurp you from your "worst building journal" throne lol
                  I eagerly await your garage build! I wish I could go hard with finishing touches and detail work on the barn, but the time just isn't there to get moved out of my current space before the building sells.

Comment

Another week, more hoopties.

When I got hoopty header back, it sounded like it had a wicked exhaust leak (obv no leaks). Big primary headers are loud, I get it, but something was wrong. Some investigation and remote assistance from Ketring and Barkell revealed my suspicion was indeed correct..... that the whole batch of apples was spoiled by a single stamped y pipe. Fab pal used a magnaflow stamped stainless Y (same one I used on Linda w no issues), so I associate no fault to him using it, as it's what we used in the past. For whatever reason on das fancy header, the exhaust gasses hitting this stamped Y was louder than the exhaust itself.

The car is back at the fab shop getting a custom y pipe and I'm adding a vibrant ultra quiet resonator because I am but an old man these days. Was going to buy a burns Y and he said he'd rather make a custom one- I didn't contest.

I never thought I'd see the day when my home garage could house a car again, but much organization later and texas holdem has a home after coming back from the paint guy.

That brings me to today- a '91 coupe followed me home against my better judgment, complete with beyern wheels from a 2003 bavautosport catalog.

It was my customers car and he broke a rocker and wanted to make it disappear, so per usual, I showed up with open arms. It already made me angry so I'll probably part it out. Don't be upset, it looks nice in pics but you can put your whole head in the trunk from the passenger rear wheel well

Comment

Working...
                    X