No announcement yet.

Long Time Dream Fulfillment: E30 Street and Track Car Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those new Falkens look like they run wider than a true 195 - I had the original Falken Azenis (RT-215?) on the same wheels, they looked way smaller!

I'm considering going with them again (but in 15"). I've pretty much run only R888's for the last 8 years, I'm kind of tired of the noise, and they're pretty heavy too.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      Those new Falkens look like they run wider than a true 195 - I had the original Falken Azenis (RT-215?) on the same wheels, they looked way smaller!

I'm considering going with them again (but in 15"). I've pretty much run only R888's for the last 8 years, I'm kind of tired of the noise, and they're pretty heavy too.
      I agree, I was pleasantly surprised by how meaty they look. Maybe you mean the RT615k+? I almost bought those.

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
      --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Looking good! The RT660s look awesome on those wheels. I was pleasantly surprised by the width of them when I bought them. 205 R888s are super oversized and these are damn close and feel awesome. Looking forward to more progress. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post

I agree, I was pleasantly surprised by how meaty they look. Maybe you mean the RT615k+? I almost bought those.
          I had the RT-615s as well (before the K revision), but those were "new" at the time. The first set I'm pretty sure was called the RT-215. This was like, 15 years ago.. lol
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Big update

Prepped the diff for a new gasket and fresh Redline fluid:

Started assembling the rear subframe and realized the little axle plates wouldn't fit with the new design of the boot kit:

So I had to modify all of those until they fit, then got the axles torqued to the diff. You can also see the 12mm diff spacer and stud kit installed in the background:

Slowly but surely got all the new bushings installed, got it all bolted up and ready to go in the car:

Exciting to see all the new parts coming together!

Then I prepped the driveshaft for install and that was when I learned that E30's had two different CSB sizes

I didn't want to halt all progress and wait for a new one to arrive, so some modification was in order:

It took a couple hours but got it installed and kept boogeying:

With the driveshaft finally in, I could install all the heat shields and exhaust. I had to fab up a new hanger for the downpipe near the transmission as this unit came off the automatic parts vert. Made quick work of that and stood back and just laughed at how shitty it all looks. This will get addressed sooner than later, but at least it gets me on the road for now:

Last week I discovered that my power steering lines were already leaking (I tried to reuse the original ones, I should've known better) so I got new lines and reservoir on order and they showed up earlier than expected which was nice so I got it all installed and I could finally put it all back together and get coolant in the car and bleed it. Once that was sorted, it was time to bleed the brakes and clutch, then wheels went on and I lowered the car down, torqued the rear axle nuts and did a jack stand/string line alignment and alas, the car was ready for it's first shakedown!

Test drive was successful for the most part! It pulls harder than I was expecting and feels very snappy, which was a nice bonus. Clutch and shifter feel amazing compared to my buddy's E30 sedan (sorry Chazzy). Brakes worked great. Suspension is definitely a bit rough for street use but that was to be expected. Oh yeah, I removed the rest of the purple tint too

It was a TON of work to get the car to this point and today was a very rewarding and gratifying day for me. I am all smiles. There is still tons of work to do but this is a huge milestone for the car. Pretty cool to see the before and after of the engine bay:

Last edited by CubbyChowder; 05-13-2021, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Looks great dude. Makes me wanna go get mine done.

Comment

Are the replacement axle bolts triple torx? I was really hoping BMW would stay clear from that...

Any rear adjustment for camber toe?

Coming together! Looks clean!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Looking awesome man! Must have been such a great feeling getting it down on the ground! Can’t wait to see more!

Comment

ElJimo
                    Joeyz31
                    ^^Thanks guys!

moatilliatta - Yes they are, and these are aftermarket boot kits so maybe that's why. I would've preferred just a standard allen bolt too but it's no big deal. As far as camber/toe adjustment, I actually ordered the serrated camber/toe plate kit from Garagistic with plans to run that, but didn't realize that they are stainless now. I don't have a TIG welder anymore so it would've been quite a hassle (and expensive) to get all the right stuff together to weld them to my subframe. Then I started reading about all the problems people were having of them coming loose and gnarling up the aluminum sleeves in the bushings so I decided to sell them and just run a 12mm riser kit for the rear subframe to counteract some of the negative camber in the rear. It's not the perfect solution but it's better than nothing.

Comment

It's lookin more and more like a complete car every day:

Got all the lights working properly and took it for an actual drive this evening on some backroads near my shop. Did about 25 miles and got it up to 75mph or so. It feels super solid, I'm stoked.

Comment

Cars coming together quite nicely, making me kinda jealous and starting to seriously consider an E30 again.

Early model with late front... what’s the plan for the rear?
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          Cars coming together quite nicely, making me kinda jealous and starting to seriously consider an E30 again.

Early model with late front... what’s the plan for the rear?
                          Thanks man, this is my third attempt at building my ideal E30 and hope that I can keep this one for years to come.

Rear end will get a plastic bumper swap as well. I cut the lower valance out of the convertible parts car and am still prepping that to weld onto the early model body and the bumper will get the necessary modifications to fit properly. Will probably start working on that in the coming weeks here as I already have everything I need.

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post

Thanks man, this is my third attempt at building my ideal E30 and hope that I can keep this one for years to come.

Rear end will get a plastic bumper swap as well. I cut the lower valance out of the convertible parts car and am still prepping that to weld onto the early model body and the bumper will get the necessary modifications to fit properly. Will probably start working on that in the coming weeks here as I already have everything I need.
                            I did the rear valance on a early e30 to add a late plastic bumper and valance. I’m sure yours will come out great. I look forward to see...
                            Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

This thread delivers! Fantastic work, man.
                              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Awesome build. Inspiring!
                                Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                                1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                                Palm Beach County

Comment

Working...
                                X