No announcement yet.

Long Time Dream Fulfillment: E30 Street and Track Car Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you are making me miss track days. glad the car's ok!
    cars beep boop

Comment

Well... I have a bit of an interesting curveball. I bought an E36 today!

I've been having a recurring feeling over the past couple months that I'm ready to pursue something more track dedicated. This E30 project has been extremely fulfilling and rewarding and honestly exceeded my expectations tenfold. But as I push the car harder and harder, I'm finding myself growing more and more nervous of wrecking it, and I just enjoy daily driving it so much that I'm not really willing to sacrifice any more streetability in order to gain performance on track. If anything I'm wanting to go the opposite direction and make it even more street friendly.

I think I've just reached a point where I'm craving a track focused build (which I always suspected might be the natural progression of all of this). So I've been casually perusing CL, FB Marketplace, FB groups, Offerup, you name it - like I always do. It's just something I do regardless, it's a daily habit. This E36 got posted on FB Marketplace once like 4-5 months ago and I've clicked on it a few times and thought it was a cool example, it was just never really on my radar seriously. He originally had it listed at $9k and the other day it pops up now at $7k. Having just sold off another car of mine ('85 E24 635CSi) I had a little bit of extra money to work with so I revisited this listing more seriously. Got in touch with the owner (who ended up being super cool and was also out at Buttonwillow last Friday coincidentally) and went to see the car today, after about 20-30 minutes of chatting I grew increasingly interested in the car and threw him an offer of $6k and he accepted!

So here's the scoop on the car, info pulled from his ad:

1992 BMW 325is with an S50B30 swap from a 1995 M3
      Alcon front brakes
      E46 vented rear disks - DTC 60 pads, front brake ducts/backing plates
      TC Kline (Koni) adjustable coil overs with camber/caster plates and rear extra adjustable camber links
      Solid subframe mounts/welded subframe reinforcement
      solid suspension mounts all around
      UUC flywheel Short shifter
      Power steering stops (to protect the ducts)
      Aluminum radiator
      Welded oil nut
      Head gasket and valve stem seals replaced about 10k miles ago
      Diff cooling cover
      New wheel bearings front and rear
      K1 wheels with Hankook V12 (255/40/R17)

Notable spares: Supercharger kit, 24v Headers, extra 5-speed Getrag and E36 Diff

The car came with a TON of extra good parts, many of which I will be selling off to recoup some funds.

I feel like I scored big time, I'm really excited about it. I drove it a bit and it feels solid. Looking forward to digging into this one deeper and learning more about it and coming up with a good gameplan for getting it track ready. Just a couple crappy iPhone pics for now:

So yeah, I'm hyped. Definitely keeping the E30, still plan on swapping that S50 I bought a few months back into it soon and continue to daily drive it. It'll probably be a while before I get the E36 out to the track as I am mega poor shop boy now, but we'll get there in time.

What do you guys think? Should I update progress on the E36 in this thread as well? Or just keep it E30 related.
      Last edited by CubbyChowder; 12-16-2022, 09:43 AM.

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
      --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Good deal with a lot of potential!

There has to be an E30 to non E30 ratio content that doesn’t get exceeded on the the forum. I don’t think we’re there, and regardless who’s gunna complain? Non E30 content > Most popular thread that is trending politics..

E36 Track dedicated car to preserve the E30!

Better yet no airbags or silly stance!

Don’t forget S50’s have faulty valve spring retainers that need upgraded. Don’t want to drop a valve!

Looking forward to more updates.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
          Well... I have a bit of an interesting curveball. I bought an E36 today!

1992 BMW 325is with an S50B30 swap from a 1995 M3
          Alcon front brakes
          E46 vented rear disks - DTC 60 pads, front brake ducts/backing plates
          TC Kline (Koni) adjustable coil overs with camber/caster plates and rear extra adjustable camber links
          Solid subframe mounts/welded subframe reinforcement
          solid suspension mounts all around
          UUC flywheel

What do you guys think? Should I update progress on the E36 in this thread as well? Or just keep it E30 related.
          Already sounds like a spicy start to your adventures! I'd bet the early E36 weighs less then the later models as well.

As an aside, I believe 1992 E36 is wired much like an E30 and very different to the later E36 cars.

My vote is keep this thread E30 related, and start a new one for the E36!

Comment

92's were interesting, Almost like series 1 E30's. The front sway bars were even different on them, I think they had strut mounted links.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Thanks guys! Yeah, I've been wondering if there are any big differences between my '92 and later model E36 cars, something I need to research. I know next to nothing about E36's so I'm excited to learn this new chassis.

Comment

This is one of the few threads I pop in here to check out from time to time to see what’s new. Your build is one that I have always loved and you and I started tracking our e30s around the same time and appreciate how frequently you update the thread!
                Was stoked to see you got an e36 and look forward to updates there and how it is vs the e30.
                seems like you got a great deal and an awesome car to start with.

I had been wanting an e36 for a while at this point and found a deal on a 95 m3 track car over the summer (but no track days yet) so it will definitely be cool to follow along and see how you like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyz31 View Post
                  This is one of the few threads I pop in here to check out from time to time to see what’s new. Your build is one that I have always loved and you and I started tracking our e30s around the same time and appreciate how frequently you update the thread!
                  Was stoked to see you got an e36 and look forward to updates there and how it is vs the e30.
                  seems like you got a great deal and an awesome car to start with.

I had been wanting an e36 for a while at this point and found a deal on a 95 m3 track car over the summer (but no track days yet) so it will definitely be cool to follow along and see how you like it.
                  Damn that's awesome! Our paths are very similar. Thanks for the kind words and I'll definitely keep updating this thread frequently as I continue this journey. Congrats on scoring the M3! Curious to hear how you like it compared to your E30 as well.

Comment

Just wanted to check in and update the thread to keep it alive. Not much has changed lately, just been enjoying daily driving this thing. It's been my daily for almost 2 years now, have put about 14,000 miles on it in that time. It's looking extra dirty right now from all the storms we've been getting in CA. I also never wash it, because shitbox:

Realized I never posted a pic of my tan interior swap, here's a crappy one for now. After cleaning and conditioning everything, it all turned up super nice. The rear seat looks brand new, I have it covered with a blanket right now:

I've been collecting parts and gearing up for V3 of this build which I'm really looking forward to diving into. I ordered a bunch of seals and gaskets for the S50 that I bought last June. Got a ZF 5-speed that I'll be swapping in with it, going to do the detents on it first. Gave it a good pressure wash:

Now it's random story time, I'm playing musical chairs but with transmissions. Let me explain, so the reason I got that ZF was because a solid 1997 328i E36 5-speed sedan fell in my lap for $300 recently:

It was about to be towed off to the junkyard later that day and I was able to swoop in at the last second and save it. It overheated pretty badly a couple years ago and has been sitting since 2019. So, I opted to try and find a good known running M52 and just swap it in rather than dig into the current engine. I managed to find one with a ZF still attached, and came home with a ton of extra parts/wheels too. I had to drive 5 hours each way but I got a REALLY good deal on all of this, I was so stoked:

So I've been busy working on that sedan. Got the new M52 mildly torn down for all new seals/gaskets and going to replace the entire cooling system as well. Going to get it running, driving, smogged and registered to sell it and hope I can make some money.

Got the engine pulled out and did some pressure washing, it worked wonders:

Anyways, so I had a master plan with all of this too. This might get a little confusing but it makes sense. Since the blue sedan came with a complete ZF 5-speed setup, and the new M52 I bought came with a ZF as well, I now have 2 ZF's in my possession and I want to keep them both. So I decided to pull the Getrag 250 setup out of my white S50 swapped E36 track car (that I posted recently in this thread). It's a solid unit with no issue, gave it a nice pressure wash:

I'm going to slap that Getrag 250 onto the M52 and put that back in the blue E36 sedan, that way both my white E36 and my E30 can be S50/ZF swapped cars. So that will be sweet. It's a bit of extra work in the end but totally worth it to me.

So that's all for now. Really hoping I can get the S50 swap rolling on my E30 within the next month or two. I still have the 2.93 LSD that came in the car when I bought it so that will pair nicely with the S50/ZF combo. Going to make for such an enjoyable daily driver.

Thanks for reading!​

Comment

Working...
                    X