Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycle Thread - Post Your Bike!

Do we have a bike thread? Now we do. 😄
    Post up your motorcycle if you occasionally enjoy two wheels instead of four.

I've had an '05 Yamaha R6 since 2009, which I've tried to use for both street and track over the years.
    The result of that was not enough seat time, and too many crashes from not being comfortable and smooth while riding.
    Also much frustration swapping things back and forth between street & track modes.

Picked up a race-prepped '03 R6 yesterday as a track-only beast so the '05 can be converted back to a dedicated street bike.

My build thread/track log over on R6-Forum is @ http://R6.panici.ca

Last edited by Panici; 02-27-2023, 11:36 AM.

When I was going to school, I found there was dedicated motorcycle parking and more or less twisted that to justify taking the MSF and buy a bike.

Thinking I was sensible I bought a 2009 Ninja 250R that needed a rear tire and front brakes.
    Honestly it was fine. Controls/suspension/shifter/brakes sucked and there was a lack of power, but it was fun to scoot around light-to-light.

I got bored, decided I wanted something nicer. I really wanted something that had better suspension/adjustability, brakes/levers.
    Enter the clapped out Honda CBR600F4.
    ​
    Cheapest 600 on kijiji. Pictures looked good, engine ran well, brakes worked, and that was basically the end of the positives.

None of the front/rear lights or cluster worked, triple tree bearings were shot (or just loose?), second gear would pop out into neutral, clutch worked but was on/off like a light switch. rear tire was bald, rear brake rotor was toast, clutch didn't work, and it had an F4i tail conversion.

Once I had it home, I pulled apart the tail and found this monstrosity:

Wiring was a complete shitshow and the "tail tidy" was straight hideous.

Over the winter, I pulled the engine and replaced one gear, had the dogs faced on another. I replaced a shift fork and probably some other stuff. New clutch since a bunch of plates were shattered, and did a PAIR valve delete and new plugs.

Old gear (replaced with one off an ebay gearset)

Mating dogs (had the dog faces machined flat after this picture)

Fixed up the tail tidy as well with a bent aluminum sheet and an ebay 954RR integrated taillight, the cluster needed a new diode and resistor soldered in.

Looked half decent after that.
    2020, when I had both bikes:

Added a clear windscreen while we tried to resurrect an old 929rr

I always liked the lope and gear driven cam noise that it made.
    Video:

VID_20210422_163119

The controls were super crisp, brake/clutch feedback was spectacular, and the throttle response was great, but I eventually got sick of having carbs and a touchy clutch/throttle and started looking at newer CBRs.

Found a 2012 CBR600RR ABS listed by someone I used to work with. One owner, full Yoshimura system, power commander, some other bits.
    Bought it, threw some hotbodies flush turn signals, a TST integrated taillight, and basically ran it for two summers before I crashed it.
    Fuel Injection made a huge difference for starting & going, and the clutch/throttle are objectively better, but the throttle/brake/clutch feel just aren't the same

Should be fixed and sold this spring/summer.

Last edited by Northern; 03-06-2023, 10:54 AM.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Video of the lope not showing up for me for me?

Originally posted by Northern View Post
      Enter the clapped out Honda CBR600F4.
      ​...
      Found a 2012 CBR600RR ABS listed by someone I used to work with. One owner, full Yoshimura system, power commander, some other bits.
      Bought it, threw some hotbodies flush turn signals, a TST integrated taillight, and basically ran it for two summers before I crashed it.
      Good job cleaning up that CBR600F4, I really like the look of it with the carbon Hindle can!

What happened with the CBR600RR crash? Were you okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
        Video of the lope not showing up for me for me?

Good job cleaning up that CBR600F4, I really like the look of it with the carbon Hindle can!

What happened with the CBR600RR crash? Were you okay?
        I messed up the vid URL, should be under the pic now.
        The looks really grew on me. I just wish the carbs weren't so finicky and the plastics/tank weren't so thrashed.
        The full hindle system was cool, big 4-1 collector under the bike was cool, and it sounded good (albeit very loud on throttle). Oil changes sucked - needed a smaller RR filter, otherwise you need to pull the headers to change the filter lol.

The RR crash was this past Nov. First week was all 20degC except for one day where it dropped to freezing.
        On that day, I roll the bike down my driveway to start out in the street, drive up to the corner 50' up the road and see the light at the intersection around the corner is green so I roll the stop sign.
        Going through the corner, I realize I'm leaned over a lot, and before I know it I'm on the ground. I was going maybe 10kph and the rear end just came around on me and I came down on my knee.

I fractured my Tibia where the ACL attaches, Not sure if I smoked my knee or twisted it or what - it basically all happened within a second. All I remember is feeling my knee crunch and hearing the bike scrape along the ground lol.

3 weeks in a splint, Started physio and did another 3 in a brace+crutches, started to walk on it after that.
        I'm at the 4 month mark and I can drive, walk short distances, stairs are ok but I cheat with my good leg. Kneeling is a no-go, range of motion is like 80% and strength is very low.

Bike isn't bad. Needs a mirror, bar end, rearset, lower side fairing, tail fairing, paddock stand bobbin.
        Super low speed crash, just the squishy bits didn't appreciate it.

Comment

Currently have these three, have had many through the years:

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post

The RR crash was this past Nov. First week was all 20degC except for one day where it dropped to freezing.
            On that day, I roll the bike down my driveway to start out in the street, drive up to the corner 50' up the road and see the light at the intersection around the corner is green so I roll the stop sign.
            Going through the corner, I realize I'm leaned over a lot, and before I know it I'm on the ground. I was going maybe 10kph and the rear end just came around on me and I came down on my knee.
            Oof those cold days are unforgiving. Glad you are on the mend though. Were you wearing any kind of protective pants?

Had a guy lowside right in front of me while I was walking one day. Cold fall morning and wet road with an off camber turn.

My ex-wife checked on him (she's a nurse) while I got the bike up and off the road. He picked a perfect couple to crash in front of. 😆 Thankfully he was okay and was able to ride off afterwards.

​

Originally posted by slippery View Post
            Currently have these three, have had many through the years:
            Oh Baby those are some spicy units!

Soft spot in my heart for those first-gen R1s. Something about them just looks right.
            Kind of rare to see them with original signals, but IMO those big amber signals have aged quite well and don't look half bad.

Comment

Oh Baby those are some spicy units!

Soft spot in my heart for those first-gen R1s. Something about them just looks right.
              Kind of rare to see them with original signals, but IMO those big amber signals have aged quite well and don't look half bad.
              Thanks!

The Yamaha is a 2000 R1 that I bought brand new as a left over in 2001. I agree on the turn signals, I had changed them for a while but went back to stock as I think they look great. I just wish I did not cut the rear fender, oh well.

Comment

I love the S1K. Probably my favorite bike.

Oof those cold days are unforgiving. Glad you are on the mend though. Were you wearing any kind of protective pants?
                Unfortunately pants are the one piece of gear I don't wear while commuting, just because it's so damn inconvenient to wear a second pair of pants overtop, or to change pants at work. I watched that Fortnine video on gear priority and decided it was ok/worth the risk given the injury stats presented, and that my commute is ~8 minutes at <50kph, save one section that I'll open up to 70-80 if it's free and clear.

I have some fieldsheer jeans with kevlar lining from mid-thigh up, with D3O knee pads, but I only wear them if I'm actually going for a ride.
                Whether those would've helped, or if it was just my leg under the bike bending the wrong way as the rest of me went overtop, I'll never know. The jeans I had on at the time had some scratches on them, but they're completely fine otherwise.
                The rest of the gear made it through fine, except for some scratches on the side of the visor from me digging my head into the ground in frustration while trying to get up.
                Last edited by Northern; 03-16-2023, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Spring is getting so close, the fz helps so much with motivating me to commute into the office it's not even funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  ...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

Originally posted by LEANE30 View Post
                    Spring is getting so close, the fz helps so much with motivating me to commute into the office it's not even funny
                    That looks like fun!
                    I'm also looking forward to taking my R6 to work in the morning. Certainly a good way to get the blood flowing!

Nice that I have a locker to stash most of my gear, and can keep a set of work clothes in there.

Comment

This is making me miss riding. I don't have any recent photos of my ZRX but the only visible change since this one from the r3v motorcycle thread is the mirrors. I haven't ridden it in ages and it needs tires, they are cracking a bit. It's currently carbless since the fuel pipes between them were leaking. I have a complete o-ring kit to install but wanted to get my wagon on the road first. If I run into any more snags with the wagon I may fix the carbs and get it on the road. My commutes certainly take less time on the ZRX than in my E30.

I used to think I may buy a cheap track bike, probably one of the plentiful 600s that exist in FL, around this time in my life and get back on track. Unfortunately my local track is now closed, so the nearest one is 2 hours and some horrible traffic (Miami) away, not a pleasant ride in FL heat in my race leathers. Actually, it doesn't matter what I'm wearing, I don't like riding in or near Miami, that is a dangerous place to ride. I don't want to deal with finding a place to store a motorcycle trailer, so I really don't think I'll be hitting the track until I move and have somewhere to put a trailer. That means it's going to be a few more years.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                        This is making me miss riding. I don't have any recent photos of my ZRX
                        What year is that ZRX? I love the retro paintjob!

I took the '05 R6 for my first ride in four years yesterday.
                        It was near freezing outside and I'm quite rusty, so I just putted around a bit to shake down the bike.

Turns out I had a front brake issue and leaky coolant hose, so it was a good exercise.

Comment

What year is that ZRX? I love the retro paintjob!
                          It's a 2001, that's the Eddie Lawson tribute paint job.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

Has been unseasonably cold here which means no riding. Supposed to have afternoon temps in the teens (~55F) later this week so I will ride into work (and bundle up in the morning).

Meanwhile I tackled the exhaust situation. Modified the two-brothers exhaust pipe for clearance with my foot/boot. And also swapped to a Termignoni muffler. Took forever cutting & grinding to get the muffler sitting just right.

Comment

​
                              ​
                              Blue tail section on the R6 now, and shortened the Termi muffler can. Was actually too quiet before!

--------------------------------------------------

Also...
                              This Ducati followed me home yesterday...

It's a 2000 Monster 900ie.

First year of fuel injection (still aircooled)
                              Needs some love, was dropped on one side. Tires are from 2006 and timing belts haven't been done in 13 years.
                              It sounds absolutely amazing with the aftermarket exhaust. Can't wait to get an open clutch cover on there for that classic Ducati dry clutch rattle.

Have to clean it up and take some better pictures with the SLR. Gold frame + Red bodywork is my favourite colour combo for these. This also has the headlight fairing and a belly pan, which makes the bike a little less naked.

\

\
                              Last edited by Panici; 07-31-2023, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X