OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LateFan
    replied
    BaT - heavily modified '64 IIA 109 V8.

    Coil spring conversion, new nose, seats, etc. Has a 110 frame - note the wheelbase is a hair off at the rear fender, and the axles hang out of the body a bit (that's why the 110 / Defender got those black flares added on).

    Bid for the chance to own a V8-Powered 1964 Land Rover 109 Series IIA 4×4 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #13,532.


    Too bad they just didn't go with a non-Rover V8, or a modern diesel. But it's tidy.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	1964_land_rover_109_series_iia_4x4_153671066998764daIMG_5204-2-940x705.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	7198073

    Leave a comment:


  • Rob
    replied
    Originally posted by Powling
    I don't even want to ask this but...what are we all thinking for price range for base model?



    I think I read somewhere they will start ~$43k

    Leave a comment:


  • mbonder
    replied
    Here's the c-list ad for the Disco I:

    Leave a comment:


  • wworm
    replied
    green rrc just went up for sale around the corner from my house. Its belonged to the current owner for at least 15 years....(grew up in the same neighborhood I live in now)

    anyone got any info on taking a look over one of these?

    Leave a comment:


  • James
    replied
    What kind of lift and bumper? D1's are the best rover you can buy. 6k seems reasonable if the gear is good and it is not rusty.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ryan...
    replied
    Aren't those the ones where you can expect to be doing the head gasket as routine maintenance? Every 45-60k or something like that..

    That being said, I still like them, not idea what they're worth though!

    Leave a comment:


  • mbonder
    replied
    Guys any thoughts on the Disco I? I'm going to look at a 96 with a manual trans. Has some upgrades, bumper/winch setup, lift kit, larger all-terrain tires, snorkel, He wants $6k, curious what a well-setup one goes for. This might be my first foray into LR Disco territory.

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackSpeed66
    replied
    Back from camping and a few trails this past weekend. Had the P38 over a year now. Still love driving it!





    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    Last year they were testing this shorty chassis under a cut-up RR body shell. I wonder if it's the new D90. Curious what the new wheelbase will be - people are so used to that number.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	7197944

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    Right...not even! I wonder too. The days of a simple old tractor purchased by farmers, plumbers, fire departments, third world countries, and in bulk by militaries...are gone I think.

    They know damn well people are waiting to get the new version, and will commute with them in the suburbs, and they'll sell in large numbers (unless they're really ugly), and they'll get dolled up like sluts (Mercedes G wagon, is that you under all that makeup?).

    So, are they a bare bones, base LR4 price? Less? I'd hope way less, but think of the development costs for this thing. The thing that will help them is the platform and many mechanical bits are shared with their other trucks.

    But I think they're enjoying their position as an upmarket car and no longer want to make tractors.

    Leave a comment:


  • Powling
    replied
    Originally posted by LateFan
    Moar -
    "It is expected that the Defender will have an aluminium body built on an aluminium (aluminium? - those Brits) chassis and will utilise parts from other Land Rover vehicles and be built alongside other cars from the range."

    "Beyond the launch of the basic model, Land Rover is planning to introduce a series of Defender models, spanning a variety of shapes and bodystyles."


    To me that means maybe a 90 and a 110 (or close to those), a soft top version, a utility truck version, a panel van with solid sides, a military version (?), a cab-chassis for utilities (?), and maybe a long wheelbase 4 door truck like they have now.
    I don't even want to ask this but...what are we all thinking for price range for base model?

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    Does your car have a nice glove box and then a second cargo box, twice as big, below it? I thought not!

    (Important when ordering hinge pins - which damn door are we talking about?! Totally different hinges!)

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    [ATTACH]123687[/ATTACH]


    Does your car have a Periodic Table inside the glove box, in case you need to look up some elements? I didn't think so!
    [ATTACH]123688[/ATTACH]

    [ATTACH]123689[/ATTACH]

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    Moar -
    "It is expected that the Defender will have an aluminium body built on an aluminium (aluminium? - those Brits) chassis and will utilise parts from other Land Rover vehicles and be built alongside other cars from the range."

    "Beyond the launch of the basic model, Land Rover is planning to introduce a series of Defender models, spanning a variety of shapes and bodystyles."


    To me that means maybe a 90 and a 110 (or close to those), a soft top version, a utility truck version, a panel van with solid sides, a military version (?), a cab-chassis for utilities (?), and maybe a long wheelbase 4 door truck like they have now.

    Leave a comment:


  • LateFan
    replied
    New Defender News :

    Test mules spotted running around. Heavily clad with plastic panels to hide the shape and details. It looks similar, but from what I read this is not an LR3/4 shell with different running gear underneath - they are beyond design and engineering, and this is the car, undercover.

    Some things I see from photos -

    That hood is fake, that roof is fake, the doors are clad with bulky covers, I don’t understand the big white intake grilles (oh, that’s for the 500hp supercharged version, Timmy!). I actually think that’s to distract us, and not give away the grille / bumper shape. There has to be room for trans coolers and winches.

    Half the headlight glass is covered - looks like it has the two stacked outboard signal lights like an old Series - tradition. The grille might be real, but may have some cladding. Big flares seem to be part of the body? - or are they like the black Defender plastic / painted flares? The belly pan / front apron, frame sills, and rear bumper areas appear to be part of the underlying shape.

    Rear upper quarters are totally clad, down to the gas cap- I think it's skinnier than it looks here. Rear is very vertical in the style of the old Defender. Single side-swing door. Tall rear window is covered up. Mufflers tucked up tight to stay out of the rear departure angle. Short overhangs f & r. “Normal” tire / sidewalls, not low profile. Rear control arms visible at the back. Land Rover is done with solid axles, even in third world markets. You'll get the proven LR3 / RR Sport air suspension, or replacement coils in some cases.

    Third brake light slot up high? So a part of the underlying car? That suggests tall roof in the back at least. I think it might have the step-down roof at the B pillar like the Series / Defender, and maybe Alpine windows on the sides(?!). Two “dot” taillights stacked, sort of like the Series / Defender - but there’s also a bigger lens inboard, against the door. Beefy door handles and lower door skins look like part of the car to me.

    Are the windshield and upper doors the final? There are some big gaps and poor fit. I wonder if those door frames are just cladding to fool us. The windshield is odd, doesn't fit well. (built-in dust and water leaks??)

    Magazine story says registration shows this as a 2.0 diesel. There'll be other engines.

    Oval for LR badge is ready to go on the grille. First customers might get them by 2020 it says.

    "JLR executive Dr Ralf Speth informed us that early development mules had started to be tested by bosses back in 2017. The JLR boss assured us that the new car will be “even more capable” than the outgoing Defender when the terrain gets challenging."

    "Dr Speth did admit at that stage that the design and engineering work behind the new Defender has been all but settled, to the point where he had the opportunity to try the new vehicle. He said: “I have driven test mules already… and also tried the car against competitors, in on and off-road environments. It’s sensational.” He would not put a timeframe on when the new Land Rover Defender would debut but he did say: “It is coming. We are working an authentic successor of the predecessor.” "

    Click image for larger version

Name:	landrover_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	7197888

    Click image for larger version

Name:	landrover_003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	7197889

    Click image for larger version

Name:	landrover_008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	7197890

    Click image for larger version

Name:	landrover_016.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	7197891

    Click image for larger version

Name:	landrover_018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	7197892

    Leave a comment:

Working...