No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, you need to come out here. I got my RRC for $800, and was up to about $1k after replacing brakes, two calipers, and a wheel bearing.

Inufaye got his D1 for $1k, slapped some suspension bushings in and chased a couple of oil leaks. 236k miles, runs great.

Then he got his D2 for $500, immaculate, just needs a head gasket, but shit, a $500 D2, with NO lights on the dash, 100k miles, Interior is near perfect....there is no reason not to slam a HG on it....could still pull a mad profit if he wanted to flip it.

Cheap Rovers are out there, especially around here it seems. We also have Will Tillery down in Danville, so there's a big epicenter of Rover guys here and in Carolina.
    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

I am out your way most of the year, I south of Columbus OH a little bit at the moment.

Its one of those want but dont need things we have enough shit as it is right now that never gets used hell I think my truck gets less than 100 miles a month put on it, her truck gets maybe double that, and her old thaoe is what she drives the most, I fly into work and pick up a company truck. I dont need something else sitting there rotting lol
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
        I agree the asking price is too damn high. What is tempting me is the Manual Transmission and 70,000 miles.
        I believe that you already own one of the finest 4wd vehicles ever built don't you? I <3 Rovers, but your Scout is the real deal...
        Originally Posted by ACMF74
        i clicked on this cuz i saw p3nis

Comment

Originally posted by Pac1373 View Post
          I believe that you already own one of the finest 4wd vehicles ever built don't you? I <3 Rovers, but your Scout is the real deal...

True, true.

My girl has always liked discos for some reason and i have always told her they were hopeless piles of shit, but since i found out early models have the same running gear as the defenders i have changed my tune slightly. I could see her in an LSX powered disco maybe.
          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
            I am not looking hard or anything, just causally, and most that I see worth buying, people still want a small fortune for, or want to too much for them for being clapped out and need a pile of work done to them just to get them back to being road worthy and 1/2 reliable even for a Rover.

Looking for one in good repair that I can lift a little, Lockers, Bumpers, Lights, Rack, and few other up grades for a back country rig........................ But I dont want 10k in a toy I might get to use twice a year either, while have to plate and insure and just maintain for just sitting.
            Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
            Man, you need to come out here. I got my RRC for $800, and was up to about $1k after replacing brakes, two calipers, and a wheel bearing.

Inufaye got his D1 for $1k, slapped some suspension bushings in and chased a couple of oil leaks. 236k miles, runs great.

Then he got his D2 for $500, immaculate, just needs a head gasket, but shit, a $500 D2, with NO lights on the dash, 100k miles, Interior is near perfect....there is no reason not to slam a HG on it....could still pull a mad profit if he wanted to flip it.

Cheap Rovers are out there, especially around here it seems. We also have Will Tillery down in Danville, so there's a big epicenter of Rover guys here and in Carolina.
            I just bought a P38 that runs well enough and drives but has a break line leak for $600. I was only casually looking and figured what the hell if the truck is a bust at least I'm not that much into it.
            2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
            1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
            1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
            1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

Originally posted by jrossowvue30 View Post
              I just bought a P38 that runs well enough and drives but has a break line leak for $600. I was only casually looking and figured what the hell if the truck is a bust at least I'm not that much into it.
              Haha! I think I saw that on C'list a while back....or one like it.

Def can come out ahead even if you have to part it. I <3 cheap rovers.

Comment

Haha! I think I saw that on C'list a while back....or one like it.

Def can come out ahead even if you have to part it. I <3 cheap rovers.

I did get it off CL, some bum down in Chesterfield. I was able to talk him down from $800. The seats are all things considered in very good shape but I need to hit a junk yard for trim pieces and the paint really needs some love.
                2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
                1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
                1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
                1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

So I could use some advice now. (1995 Discovery 1, 175k mi. on chassis)

My son came by saying there was a weird rattling / gear / bearing noise coming from underneath, only on deceleration / overrun. He didn't drive it far like that - just to get it home.

We went around the block with me hanging out the window and it's coming from the rear. Gear or bearing noise, regular pattern. Came on suddenly - no whining rear end, no growling noises.

Underneath is this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08336.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	7160023

So obviously the pinion seal has failed suddenly as well. That diff oil is new, he filled it in the spring. Driveshaft donut seems pretty new, front U joint has been regularly greased.

We lifted it up, put a stethoscope here and there, and we definitely have gear noise coming from the case or nose of the case, like maybe the pinion bearings..??

The seal isn't causing noise. The seal was fine two days ago. I'm thinking the pinion bearings failed (suddenly??), causing the shaft to be out of alignment, messing up the seal and binding with the ring gear. (?)

By the time you've purchased, pulled and pressed new bearings and set everything up correctly, should you have just bought a used diff and replaced it?

Any ideas on what would cause this to fail suddenly? It drives, but we're not moving it now.

Comment

There was no bearing noise leading up to this.

We're suspecting now that something else failed, causing the pinion bearing(s) to fail.

Looking for a decent used diff now.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                      There was no bearing noise leading up to this.

We're suspecting now that something else failed, causing the pinion bearing(s) to fail.

Looking for a decent used diff now.

Maybe he shouldn't have tried that big smokey burnout to impress the ladies !
                      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Hee!

Comment

Halfway through pulling this engine apart. Fuck whoever put those coil packs on the back of the engine.
                          1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Originally posted by InuFaye View Post
                            Halfway through pulling this engine apart. Fuck whoever put those coil packs on the back of the engine.
                            Time to improve upon the design?

Comment

Time to improve upon the design?
                              I don't know where else they could put them.
                              1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

Originally posted by InuFaye View Post
                                I don't know where else they could put them.
                                Anywhere, it's just wires. On the inner fender, on the firewall, on the valve cover....

Of course it was made in the midlands.....

Meanwhile, my new fuel pump harness should be here today. ^_^ So we can get Roving again. I do miss driving it.
                                Last edited by slammin.e28; 09-04-2013, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X