No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, shit luck would have it, and on my cross country trip 4000 miles later I'm in Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park and my EAS decides to fail.

I know, L322 right?

Anyway it is stuck in normal height thankfully, but I need a new compressor and/or coilover conversion.

Recommendations? This will need to be done on the road with my limited mechanics tool sets.
    Derek-

Comment

if your stuck on drive height just dont touch it. If its holding pressure then i'd just leave it and limp it the rest of the trip. As soon as you start fiddling with it and it drops you at park height your screwed. Been in the same situation with the p38 about 3 times before we switched to coil springs.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
      DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

That's about the conclusion I have come to. I could replace the compressor, but I think I will just go to coils anyway.

I'm trying to go to aviation school in Oregon, so I'm a long way from a shop full of tools in Florida.
        Derek-

Comment

Originally posted by dereliiict View Post
          That's about the conclusion I have come to. I could replace the compressor, but I think I will just go to coils anyway.

I'm trying to go to aviation school in Oregon, so I'm a long way from a shop full of tools in Florida.
          Instagram
          sigpic
          Current: 99 M3
          Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Yus!
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Haha. She (named Alice because of the kindly nanny voiced Nav system) got me to portland.

Now all I have to do is fix my broken suspension and figure out why my new torque converter is still shuddering.

Without a shop.
              Derek-

Comment

little brother picked up a disco 2

made it loud

7speedshop.com

Comment

Well I picked up a 99 Disco II last night... I think I am going to start with changing all the fluids and just fixing the major non functioning items.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Van Westervelt View Post
                    Well I picked up a 99 Disco II last night... I think I am going to start with changing all the fluids and just fixing the major non functioning items.
                    Looks to be nice and straight!
                    Someday my glasses will be rose colored enough that I will forget how frustrating working on those things 40 hrs a week was, and I'll end up with one in my driveway. Preferably a 95 RR Classic LWB. Maybe next winter.

Whats problems does it have?

Comment

3 Amigos, a sticky lock, and a bad headlight stock. 150k no sunroofs, leather is in decent shape too.

Thats really all, less a couple pieces of missing trim. Mechanically, I am waiting to tear into it until the e30s are both more sorted in the coming weeks.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Van Westervelt View Post
                        3 Amigos, a sticky lock, and a bad headlight stock. 150k no sunroofs, leather is in decent shape too.

Thats really all, less a couple pieces of missing trim. Mechanically, I am waiting to tear into it until the e30s are both more sorted in the coming weeks.
                        Hahaha. I have never heard the term '3 amigos'. I never spent much time on forums when I worked for Land Rover. I guess I should have.

99% of the time it was a wheel speed sensor (requiring a new hub) or the shuttle valve repair kit (which I thought there was a recall open for). We wouldn't bother disconnecting the brake lines for the shuttle valve... just pop the brake lines out of the brackets, unbolt the modulator mounts, and gently lift it up enough to get to the shuttle valve bolts. Done carefully, you could do the repair in about 20 minutes tops, and get the brake lines to snap neatly back into the little brackets.

Comment

Curt,

For the love of god get an Oil pressure gauge on that thing asap. At that mileage there is a possibility of the oil pump being cracked. Once it cracks more..yeah.

We did a complete topend on mine at 140k which involved oil pump, heads, coils, wires, cam, lifters, cam gears, timing chain, waterpump.. the engine is near silent after all of that.

I adore mine, I just know it has little things from time to time (had the M/S lights on the other day) so my XYZ switch is probably starting to fail.

Still one of the best 4x4's I've had, (owned both Toyota and Nissans before)

Same color as mine too, go figure

Comment

Seriously considering nabbing the PS box and everything off of a P38. Box sits outside the frame rail, unlike mine that sits inside. Should free up room for a proper PS pump setup. Anyone have some good pics of the steering arrangement in the P38?

I'm tired of looking like Popeye after driving this thing.

Also.....going to swap in an M30B35 I've decided. M52 is just too anemic. Engine will fit better, more TQ, HP, and methinks the V-belts will be to my advantage.

Comment

Finally got stable enough in a new city to be able to fix my suspension, about time since the front has been slowly leaking down over the past three weeks.

Should have listened to slammin and gotten the Jag Rover instead of BMW's incarnation.

I found a used compressor with 70k miles at Gresham Auto Wrecking, imo they want entirely too much at $250, so I am considering going the Wabco route supplied by Arnott for nearly double.

I would go full coils, but I need the park mode height.

Also, I want to upgrade my tires and get rid of these 19's that came stock and go with a reasonable 18, if anyone locally has them for sales. PNW
                              Derek-

Comment

PIC REQUEST!

Anyone with a P38, would like a pic of the lower steering column to the gearbox please.

Comment

Working...
                                X