OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
    Erika bought a 99 4Runner Limited yesterday.

I gotta admit it's pretty fucking nice. I'm a little green with envy.
    Interesting you say that. 4Runners keep popping up on some top lists for off-road SUVs

Comment

Yeah man, they're pretty cool.

I must say, Toyota did it right!

...but I still love my Land Rovers.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by GDA View Post
        Very nice. Still really like Discos even though I no longer have my 03 DII.

For the steering, check the front steering tie rod, rear track rod and steering coupler shaft in the engine bay for play. I went through two steering track rods and three rear track rods in my 120k miles on my DII. Usually when the steering would pick up a bit of slop on the highway it was the rear track rod that was getting some play in one of its tie rod ends.

Worn front hubs also contribute to vague steering on a DII as well and a really worn rear hub will make it wander quite a bit. An easy way to check hubs for signs of failure is to pull the brake rotor and check for grease on the inside rotor hat. If you are getting grease splatter, then the hub is on its way out.

Enjoy that DII! They are so easy to wrench on too.
        Yeah I got under the car and it looks like my problem is some worn rod ends. Might as well go ahead and replace everything in there. Is there any point in replacing the entire bar or could I get away with doing just the rod ends?

Anyways I already pulled off the driver side exhaust manifold where the leak was and put on a new gasket and a bead of copper rtv just to be safe. These cars are super easy to work on, took me 10 minutes to get the manifold off.

Also, what is the general consensus on TerraFirma? They're like half the price of OME and Bilstein, are they any good?
        -Alex

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
          Yeah I got under the car and it looks like my problem is some worn rod ends. Might as well go ahead and replace everything in there. Is there any point in replacing the entire bar or could I get away with doing just the rod ends?

Anyways I already pulled off the driver side exhaust manifold where the leak was and put on a new gasket and a bead of copper rtv just to be safe. These cars are super easy to work on, took me 10 minutes to get the manifold off.

Also, what is the general consensus on TerraFirma? They're like half the price of OME and Bilstein, are they any good?
          If I recall correctly, the one end of the rear bar does not unscrew and is part of the bar itself so I just bought a whole bar from Atlantic British.

No experience with TerraFirma as I ran Bilsteins on stock springs and also ran a Bilstein steering damper. The Bilsteins were great and vastly improved the road manners above 50 mph. The rear was much more planted as well with the Bilsteins as I could get inside front and rear tire slip on stock shocks quite easily when giving it the business and hustling it around town or in the wet.

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
            IIRC you can get a beefier bar with replaceable ends, but the OE D2 bar has one fixed end.

Comment

Son called me..

Late for class...

Reliable D1 stumbled and died from idle.....

Won't restart...

...sigh......

Comment

Is it flooded? Mine did this when starting the other week on a very cold morning (10F). Held the pedal flat to the floor to clear it out & it was fine.

Comment

both on 44" ,, and both here in Iceland

extremely many here in the country on 35" - 49"
                  Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
                  ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
                  E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

Originally posted by GDA View Post
                    If I recall correctly, the one end of the rear bar does not unscrew and is part of the bar itself so I just bought a whole bar from Atlantic British.

No experience with TerraFirma as I ran Bilsteins on stock springs and also ran a Bilstein steering damper. The Bilsteins were great and vastly improved the road manners above 50 mph. The rear was much more planted as well with the Bilsteins as I could get inside front and rear tire slip on stock shocks quite easily when giving it the business and hustling it around town or in the wet.
                    IIRC you can get a beefier bar with replaceable ends, but the OE D2 bar has one fixed end.
                    Cool, thanks guys. Think I'll buy one of the bars with replaceable rod ends... they're not much more than OEM.

Originally posted by Alpina View Post

both on 44" ,, and both here in Iceland

extremely many here in the country on 35" - 49"
                    So can I get a ride in one of those or what?
                    Last edited by acolella76; 01-26-2015, 08:58 PM.
                    -Alex

Comment

Drove the D2 40 miles to work this morning after getting all the titling and DMV stuff out of the way.

It's pretty fantastic. I think I'll be rebuilding the driveshaft(s) as it had a pretty good vibration at interstate speeds. Otherwise, this thing it pretty great.

Comment

Originally posted by quickervicar View Post
                        Is it flooded? Mine did this when starting the other week on a very cold morning (10F). Held the pedal flat to the floor to clear it out & it was fine.
                        Not sure. He says it idles for about 4 minutes and just quits. Hard to restart, stumbles. Seems better when warmed. Just put a new fuel pump in - could it be fuel pressure regulator? Has a new idle stepper motor, but apparently those can't be trusted.

EDIT - could it maybe be a temp sensor that's supposed to change the mixture when it gets up to temp? Over rich, stumbles and quits?
                        Last edited by LateFan; 01-27-2015, 10:14 AM.

Comment

All of those seem plausible. You can make yourself a gauge to check pressure at the rail. Except if you have a '94. Then you're screwed (me)

Comment

'95 - has a hard rail loop with a Schrader fitting. We tried to use the free lend-a-tool POS from the O'Reillys, which read zero psi and sprayed fuel all over the engine. Several important bits missing from their kit… Turned out he had a failing pump, but I'm curious about the rail pressure now.

My other son put a T in a soft fuel line on his E30, and has a VDO gauge mounted near the driver's shock tower.

Comment

Drove the D2 40 miles to work this morning after getting all the titling and DMV stuff out of the way.

It's pretty fantastic. I think I'll be rebuilding the driveshaft(s) as it had a pretty good vibration at interstate speeds. Otherwise, this thing it pretty great.
                              I have an OEM front driveshaft that I took off my DII in order to install the sturdy Tom Woods front DS.

If you want a spare to rebuild so you don't have to take your truck offline, just pay shipping and it is yours. The guy who bought my DII did not want it as it was a huge downgrade from the TW DS that I put on my old DII.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                                Son called me..

Late for class...

Reliable D1 stumbled and died from idle.....

Won't restart...

...sigh......
                                What year DI? If post 95 then it is probably the crank position sensor going south. When they go out on a D1 or DII, they act just like a failing or failed fuel pump.

Hope this helps and good luck getting it running smooth again.

Comment

Working...
                                X