No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good work keeping it going. I didn't even know they made them that long - I thought it was '74 or '75. I knew a guy with a '63 with the chrome bar grille - it was sweet. Sat down lowww over the wires.

For what it's worth, our '87 RRC was so frustrating. We finally gave up. But the trade with cash for a nice '95 D1 was worth it. Mechanics car, newer engine with 100k on it. It's been good.

Comment

Anybody have a reader in PNW they want to use to help me diagnose my air susp?
      Derek-

Comment

Originally posted by InuFaye View Post
        Ive had that MG for over 10 years, and its easier to work on .
        It's slower though.

///////////////////

Time to break out the RRC and get it up to par for Winter duties.

I drove it the other day, just though the fields at dad's. Feelsgoodman. Started right up.

Going to the pick a part Saturday to try to get the steering linkages and box from a P38. The box mounts on the outside of the frame, so I should be able to run the stock PS pump and perhaps mount my alternator in the normal location.

Apparently Series guys convert to the P38 system. Should bolt on. I will have to relocate the shock to mount inside the coil spring, but I have all the parts on the Disco 1 frame.

Also while at the PaP I'll be searching for an OM606....... ;D
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

+10000000 on that om606. I want one to swap into my diesel merc. If you do find one though you'll want to swap to a mechanical injection pump from a om603. Will make the swap a whole lot simpler at the cost of some power.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
          DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
            +10000000 on that om606. I want one to swap into my diesel merc. If you do find one though you'll want to swap to a mechanical injection pump from a om603. Will make the swap a whole lot simpler at the cost of some power.
            Was reading with the 603 pump you can get a good gain in power....

The one that was at the yard doesn't seem to be there anymore. They updated the list just now, but it's so ambiguous now. Just has "E-Class" listed, so could be anything. Yard 40 mins south is loaded with 603 cars and BMWs. May nab the IP off a 603 and stash it. Yard that "has" the 606 also has the P38 I want the steering goodies off of.

We'll see.....I'll just have to get eyes on the ground Saturday.

Comment

The pumps can be modded, but in stock form on an om606 with a 603 pump does lose some power. I had a guide somewhere on how to mod a merc IP, but I wont mess with mine unless I find a spare.

DieselMeken is the authority on building superpumps imo.

heres a twin charged om606 lol

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

IDK if it's really worth it to compromise and get a 603, should one present itself, or totally write them off, as I have been doing. The HG issues and rod issues, and bore issues have me bypassing them in favor of a 606......

Comment

If you can get a 606 get one. I had an 87 300TD with the 603... Long story short a rod shot a nice hole in the block. A 606 is just a newer motor in every sense, and have a better potential to make power imo.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Yeah, Think I'll just wait for one to come up. Nab a 603 IP for the time being.

Wish 606s were more common. The oil pan is perfect. Nice low profile. Should be able to just drop it in and not worry about front axle interference. I could always raise the rover a bit more too. It's not a crazy low sump like an OM617.

Comment

So, hit the Pick A Part in Stafford Va and got a P38 steering box. $27. They also have a soft dash, LWB RRC, another P38, and a Disco II that I saw.

Then moseyed down to the Pick A Part in Fredricksburg. Only saw one Disco II. Interior is immaculate, black leather. Wasn't anything useful for me.

I didn't grab the tie rod assembly. Boots were all opened up. I think I'll just make my own out of some thick walled DOM tubing a-la RTE-fab.
                      Last edited by slammin.e28; 10-06-2014, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Also this:

Comment

Maybe you guys on here can help, especially you Slammin since you've also got a RRC. I had to drop my fuel tank to replace some fuel lines and the tank cradle holder thing is rusted out on one end so I can't bolt it back up, thus nothing securing my tank. I can't find one anywhere and I was wondering if one off a disco I or II/p38 would be the same or work. The Disco ones look at the least similar if not identical. I went to the yard this morning to pull one but neither of the disco's there had one. Disco's are plentiful and they make the cradle new for disco's so if they are interchangeable problem solved, if not I'll need to get somewhat creative. Any help on this one?
                          Last edited by jrossowvue30; 10-09-2014, 07:30 PM.
                          2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
                          1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
                          1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
                          1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

Originally posted by jrossowvue30 View Post
                            Maybe you guys on here can help, especially you Slammin since you've also got a RRC. I had to drop my fuel tank to replace some fuel lines and the tank cradle holder thing is rusted out on one end so I can't bolt it back up, thus nothing securing my tank. I can't find one anywhere and I was wondering if one off a disco I or II/p38 would be the same or work. The Disco ones look at the least similar if not identical. I went to the yard this morning to pull one but neither of the disco's there had one. Disco's are plentiful and they make the cradle new for disco's so if they are interchangeable problem solved, if not I'll need to get somewhat creative. Any help on this one?
                            There is a RRC at the Pick A Part in Stafford. Looked to be in good shape. Probably still has that part.

I'm going to be in the same boat, but my fuel tank was never replaced under the recall, so I'll let Land Rover do it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                              There is a RRC at the Pick A Part in Stafford. Looked to be in good shape. Probably still has that part.

I'm going to be in the same boat, but my fuel tank was never replaced under the recall, so I'll let Land Rover do it for me.
                              What? Recall? I'll have to let them run my VIN and see if mine has been done or not. I guess for now I should trek up to Stafford.
                              2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
                              1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
                              1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
                              1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

Originally posted by jrossowvue30 View Post
                                What? Recall? I'll have to let them run my VIN and see if mine has been done or not. I guess for now I should trek up to Stafford.
                                Yeah, the seams of the tank split. Since it's a safety recall it never expires.

I happened upon it while chasing some fuel leaks....turned out my pump had been butchered by a PO, but the recall was never done.

The one at Stafford is a 95 soft dash too. If you go, I'd be indebted if you grabbed the window holder/sliders that attach to the bottom of the glass. Forgot to get those when I went last weekend.

Meanwhile I got this:

^_^ Meet my new drag rod. 29mm DOM tube. Stock rod is ~19mm. Since I'm swapping in a P38 steering box, I figure I'll just make my own HD drag rod.

Comment

Working...
                                X