OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
    Alright guys I seriously need some help... I understand this is kind off topic so if you want me to start a new thread I will.

I'm looking at THIS 4runner and THIS Disco II. Can't find any decent Series I discos at the moment.

I need something that can handle 40 miles a day to work and some occasional off roading or towing. Both owners are pretty up front, and they have no problem with me getting the car PPI'd, and both cars look clean (although I haven't driven them yet). Disco has service records, 4runner owner is 'looking for them'. I have always loved the Disco and the way they look, but I feel like the 4runner might be a better (cheaper) idea in the long run. What say the fine people of R3V?
    I wouldn't pick either if I had to drive 40 miles in it a day. I'd get a CR-V or RAV4. Reliable and good MPG. I'd get the 4Runner though if those were the only options. Rover V8 MPG is ridiculously bad.
    Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
      Nice - I like the pale green one with steelies.

I like these pickups

[ATTACH]92855[/ATTACH]
      The new Heritage model? Me too. :) I'd love to have one of those pickups as well. Someday. :)
      Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Originally posted by 5ickride View Post
        What's a good rover classic forum?

I frequent http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/ although it isn't specific to RRC's it is about the most active forum as far as Rovers go and does have a section for RRC's. It isn't the most active site which is kinda surprising considering these cars are all over the world but it is helpful.
        2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
        1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
        1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
        1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

There's Discoweb, which has a RRC section…
          DiscoWeb is the world's biggest online forum of Land Rover Discovery owners. Featuring Discovery classifieds, registry, and more. Completely ad-free.

No one seems to be in any hurry here...

Click image for larger version

Name:	defender classic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	7173154

Comment

I agree. Discoweb will give you the most helpful, honest (to a fault) answers.

Comment

Originally posted by quickervicar View Post
              I agree. Discoweb will give you the most helpful, honest (to a fault) answers.
              Man....I actually have an account there.

Already finding good info. Nice guys.

On to my D2....

Once I get an Ultragauge for it....I need to get some springs. Thinking some HDs....but the truck usually isn't going to be loaded down....however, it will be used for towing cars....and offroading.

Also, I've got a Disco 1 frame....I read a while back about using D1 rear springs up front and OME springs in the rear with a spacer to level it out....but that was for RR apps. I may try that for the D2. Use what I've got. Saw a blip about using rear D1 spring perch on D2 for like .5"...so don't see why the spring won't fit.

I'll do some TF or mebbe Bilstein +2" shocks.

Also want to get a set of steel wheels for my knobby tires. This thing will haul the kiddo around, so I'll keep the knobbys for the trails.
              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

We're really happy with OME +2" and OME shocks. Sits just right with 245/75s. Firm ride. Got them slightly used from Lamorna garage in Seattle.

Comment

I think I'll pop it apart and compare when I bleed the brakes at work. D1 shit is on a bare frame on blocks, so no great loss taking it all apart.

I liked the med duty OME on the Classic with Bilsteins. This D2 seems to hit bumps a little harder than that truck.

Comment

Well it happened...

'99 with 177k miles. It has an exhaust leak and the O2 is throwing a check engine light (from said exhaust leak, probably). So that's easy enough to fix. Also it has a pretty big dead spot in the steering, idk what that is so I'll have to get under it and see what's up. But so far I'm pretty happy with it!
                    -Alex

Comment

^ Nice man congrats. I hope it is good to you.
                      2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
                      1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
                      1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
                      1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

Well it happened...

'99 with 177k miles. It has an exhaust leak and the O2 is throwing a check engine light (from said exhaust leak, probably). So that's easy enough to fix. Also it has a pretty big dead spot in the steering, idk what that is so I'll have to get under it and see what's up. But so far I'm pretty happy with it!
                        Is that a D1 or 2?

Comment

My mind is made up, im jumping back into the rover scene. Considering going back to a RRC but the P38s are also looking good. Disco is not far from a possiblity either. Out of all 3 options, all things being equal, which one would be better for hauling kids and light offroad use?

Comment

Originally posted by 5ickride View Post
                            is that a d1 or 2?
                            d2
                            -Alex

Comment

Well it happened...

Very nice. Still really like Discos even though I no longer have my 03 DII.

For the steering, check the front steering tie rod, rear track rod and steering coupler shaft in the engine bay for play. I went through two steering track rods and three rear track rods in my 120k miles on my DII. Usually when the steering would pick up a bit of slop on the highway it was the rear track rod that was getting some play in one of its tie rod ends.

Worn front hubs also contribute to vague steering on a DII as well and a really worn rear hub will make it wander quite a bit. An easy way to check hubs for signs of failure is to pull the brake rotor and check for grease on the inside rotor hat. If you are getting grease splatter, then the hub is on its way out.

Enjoy that DII! They are so easy to wrench on too.

Comment

Erika bought a 99 4Runner Limited yesterday.

I gotta admit it's pretty fucking nice. I'm a little green with envy.

Comment

Working...
                                X