No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I've done quite a bit of research into common issues, maintenance costs, DIY stuff, etc, and I'm still considering picking up an 06-08 Range Rover.

I'm about to start a drastic reduction in my lifestyle, selling my '16 F150 (or trading it in if the deal is good enough), which would save me about $12-13k if I sold it outright and bought a 12-15k vehicle.

These are the two I'm looking at next week:

06 Supercharged

Serving Addison, Illinois (IL), Zone Motors is the place to purchase your next vehicle. View photos and details of our entire new and used inventory.

08 HSE

Opinions on the two?
    2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

It's really just a fancy E53 4.4i, but I fucking love it. Best daily driver ever.
      Attached Files
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
        It's really just a fancy E53 4.4i, but I fucking love it. Best daily driver ever.
        I almost got one of these a while back, still thinking about one now. I have a 265k mile 4.6is that has been incredible but I do miss the off-road capability of my Disco II. Can't decide whether I want to add an RRC or replace the X5 with an L322 or LR4
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
          I almost got one of these a while back, still thinking about one now. I have a 265k mile 4.6is that has been incredible but I do miss the off-road capability of my Disco II. Can't decide whether I want to add an RRC or replace the X5 with an L322 or LR4
          I definitely didn't buy it for its off road capabilities (not really my thing), but it sure was nice to have for our freak snow storm a few months back (I still think my 300k+ Suburban did better, but I digress). Comfortable as all hell, heated seats and steering wheel fully warm in 90 seconds, killer lighting, did I mention comfortable? Love it.

I will say, if it was an '05+ car, I probably wouldn't have any interest. I still feel somewhat in my comfort zone, since it's still M62 powered.
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Almost settled on a RRC now, there are a few that good examples for sale near me that I'm considering. Anyone have any real world experience to share with these things for around town commuting, couple hundred mile road trips, and mild off-road use?

I'm not asking if I'm going to have to work on it, or how much such and such repairs will cost... I'm asking will a reasonably well-sorted example drive well enough on the road that my wife won't complain if she has to drive it?
            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Don't buy an '87.

Comment

'91 RRC's and later got fuel pump access from inside the cabin. Earlier ones require dropping the tank to access the pump.

Thats about all I know about differentiating years of RRC's and their maintenance.

They're pretty comfortable as far as older SUV's go. As long as the suspension components are up to snuff and not all wobbly like old SUV's tend to get, I think they're pretty nice below 85 mph.
                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I'd vote 70-75 max. They do wallow some, but that's a factor of soft springs and long wheel travel, which is what allows them to climb all over the place. They're heavy and underpowered with the 3.5 and will just suck gas at those speeds.

We swapped in a used Old Man Emu suspension to the '95 D1, which was 2" higher and much firmer. It was really nice, but not as plush as stock. More like a F150 4WD.

I know '87 had an impossible injection system - the Seattle Rover Yoda couldn't even get ours running right. So was it '88 or '89 that they switched to an updated system that seems much better? (still not great)

We always said this would be a great truck with a 302 carbureted Ford swap and a completely redesigned wiring harness with nothing Lucas. My dad and my original Broncos could idle over a big log in low low - you could just get out and it would crawl over by itself without stalling.

One time my dad's Bronco starter switch shorted out inside the garage because the ice melting down the windshield got into that hinge and the dashboard. It was in 1st gear and crawled over the bar b q and crushed it, then shoved against the wall until the battery died. The next day he said he wondered who the hell was outside trying to start their car and wearing out their starter!

But it wasn't plush, didn't have great seats, and didn't go down the road nice and smooth like a RRC.

Comment

My M52 swapped RRC was amazing on the interstate. It had all the poly bushings, etc. It was so smooth, even with knobby tires on it. I could wind the sucker out too, 80+ was a breeze....on flat or downhill. The M52 would have to revv a lot to take any major incline....but it wasn't bad.

Rovers always were supposed to have the best road manners of an SUV, while still being more capable than others. Reliability just sucked....but mostly for people who just didn't pay attention to them.

Earlier RRCs may have a home made cut out for FP access....I'd make one over dropping the tank, I know that. Also...there is a lifetime fuel tank recall on them....the plastic tanks crack. LR NA will still replace them for free. Just have to call and give them the VIN to see if it's been done.
                    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Well boys, I did it...

07 Range Rover Sport, supercharged, 100,400 miles. I've put on 350 of those miles, absolutely love it!

Coming from a 2016 F150 and I have 0 regrets. I've got money stashed aside for the inevitable suspension and electronic issues..

Can't tell from that picture, but the OEM wheels are scratched up, curb rashed, and missing some clear coat. I'm going to be repainting them black for now until I upgrade to better wheels. Also moving up to 275/45/20 Cooper Zeons very soon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice! If I was looking for a daily/do everything truck I would definitely be looking at those. Really nice for the $$$ I think.

I bought this yesterday

2018-04-25_05-33-33 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/127478801@N07/]
                        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

I like the color on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                            I bought this yesterday

[
                            Very cool! More info?

Comment

Is a '91 RRC Hunter. I got a good deal on it because the paint job is not amazing. The Hunters were only offered in a few colors, and the PO (original owner) painted this one Eastnor green over it's original Arran beige. The interior is near perfect (cloth, Hunter only) and it is a decent driver currently. Needs suspension work and has a few leaks
                              - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Man, those seem to fetch some good money around me...

Comment

Working...
                                X