OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rob View Post
    If you can find one with less than 250k and reasonably priced, I'll say sure.

It's impossible to ignore the friggin plethora of sub $5k rovers all over the place. P38s, discos, LR3s, etc. So tempting to buy one as a fixer upper, as long as you know what you're getting into.

Reminds me of the P-car 944 series. They used to be crazy cheap, and could be great cars with a little work and some spendy parts.
    pay up front or a little as you go all the time.....

* Ducks and runs again.....

You can can find J80s for that but they need help, a good one now is going to be in the 8-28k range..... Early J100s are trading in that 5-8k range with less than 200k on them to a bit over, in that price point your going to have a bit of maintenance to catch up on and then outfitting as you want.... the 98-2000 have a little weakness in the front axle / diff but will hold up to all but really pushing the rig or putting it into a restricted bind and adding the power... other wise they are still quite stout units, other big drawback to the J100s is the torsion bar IFS like the GM stuff.... Though I think there are couple of nicely engineered coil over conversions out for that now
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
      I honestly don't find them any different than a modern BMW to work on, which I also don't find THAT bad.

I drive my Range probably 90% of the time (it is my daily) and find it more comfortable than anything else, while towing stuff and going to home depot!
      We haven't had any real issues with the LR3. It's his only car, covers a lot of distance and a lot of backcountry driving.

But we did have to pull out half the dashboard to replace a sunroof drain. Some group of engineers made the odd decision to run the drain hose down the A pillar, but INSIDE the car, then above and around some critical electrical panels behind the glove box, then to a molded-in grommet to go back OUT of the car behind the wheelwell. The grommet is part of the hose, you can't just pull another hose through. The grommet clogs, rots out, water pours down the footwell.

LR wants you to pull out the door and sill trims, the A-pillar interior covers, and the front of the headliner to replace it. We took out the lower passenger dash and glove box, removed a big electrical panel, then cut and spliced a new hose end with push-lock connectors. Drains fine. Took all afternoon.

Comment

New Defender News :

Test mules spotted running around. Heavily clad with plastic panels to hide the shape and details. It looks similar, but from what I read this is not an LR3/4 shell with different running gear underneath - they are beyond design and engineering, and this is the car, undercover.

Some things I see from photos -

That hood is fake, that roof is fake, the doors are clad with bulky covers, I don’t understand the big white intake grilles (oh, that’s for the 500hp supercharged version, Timmy!). I actually think that’s to distract us, and not give away the grille / bumper shape. There has to be room for trans coolers and winches.

Half the headlight glass is covered - looks like it has the two stacked outboard signal lights like an old Series - tradition. The grille might be real, but may have some cladding. Big flares seem to be part of the body? - or are they like the black Defender plastic / painted flares? The belly pan / front apron, frame sills, and rear bumper areas appear to be part of the underlying shape.

Rear upper quarters are totally clad, down to the gas cap- I think it's skinnier than it looks here. Rear is very vertical in the style of the old Defender. Single side-swing door. Tall rear window is covered up. Mufflers tucked up tight to stay out of the rear departure angle. Short overhangs f & r. “Normal” tire / sidewalls, not low profile. Rear control arms visible at the back. Land Rover is done with solid axles, even in third world markets. You'll get the proven LR3 / RR Sport air suspension, or replacement coils in some cases.

Third brake light slot up high? So a part of the underlying car? That suggests tall roof in the back at least. I think it might have the step-down roof at the B pillar like the Series / Defender, and maybe Alpine windows on the sides(?!). Two “dot” taillights stacked, sort of like the Series / Defender - but there’s also a bigger lens inboard, against the door. Beefy door handles and lower door skins look like part of the car to me.

Are the windshield and upper doors the final? There are some big gaps and poor fit. I wonder if those door frames are just cladding to fool us. The windshield is odd, doesn't fit well. (built-in dust and water leaks??)

Magazine story says registration shows this as a 2.0 diesel. There'll be other engines.

Oval for LR badge is ready to go on the grille. First customers might get them by 2020 it says.

"JLR executive Dr Ralf Speth informed us that early development mules had started to be tested by bosses back in 2017. The JLR boss assured us that the new car will be “even more capable” than the outgoing Defender when the terrain gets challenging."

"Dr Speth did admit at that stage that the design and engineering work behind the new Defender has been all but settled, to the point where he had the opportunity to try the new vehicle. He said: “I have driven test mules already… and also tried the car against competitors, in on and off-road environments. It’s sensational.” He would not put a timeframe on when the new Land Rover Defender would debut but he did say: “It is coming. We are working an authentic successor of the predecessor.” "

Click image for larger version

Name:	landrover_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	7197888

Name:	landrover_003.jpg
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	7197889

Name:	landrover_008.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	7197890

Name:	landrover_016.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	7197891

Name:	landrover_018.jpg
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	7197892

Comment

Moar -
          "It is expected that the Defender will have an aluminium body built on an aluminium (aluminium? - those Brits) chassis and will utilise parts from other Land Rover vehicles and be built alongside other cars from the range."

"Beyond the launch of the basic model, Land Rover is planning to introduce a series of Defender models, spanning a variety of shapes and bodystyles."

To me that means maybe a 90 and a 110 (or close to those), a soft top version, a utility truck version, a panel van with solid sides, a military version (?), a cab-chassis for utilities (?), and maybe a long wheelbase 4 door truck like they have now.

Comment

[ATTACH]123687[/ATTACH]

Does your car have a Periodic Table inside the glove box, in case you need to look up some elements? I didn't think so!
            [ATTACH]123688[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]123689[/ATTACH]

Comment

Does your car have a nice glove box and then a second cargo box, twice as big, below it? I thought not!

(Important when ordering hinge pins - which damn door are we talking about?! Totally different hinges!)

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                Moar -
                "It is expected that the Defender will have an aluminium body built on an aluminium (aluminium? - those Brits) chassis and will utilise parts from other Land Rover vehicles and be built alongside other cars from the range."

"Beyond the launch of the basic model, Land Rover is planning to introduce a series of Defender models, spanning a variety of shapes and bodystyles."

To me that means maybe a 90 and a 110 (or close to those), a soft top version, a utility truck version, a panel van with solid sides, a military version (?), a cab-chassis for utilities (?), and maybe a long wheelbase 4 door truck like they have now.
                I don't even want to ask this but...what are we all thinking for price range for base model?
                Steve • Toronto
                1991 318is • Brillantrot
                Build Thread

Comment

Right...not even! I wonder too. The days of a simple old tractor purchased by farmers, plumbers, fire departments, third world countries, and in bulk by militaries...are gone I think.

They know damn well people are waiting to get the new version, and will commute with them in the suburbs, and they'll sell in large numbers (unless they're really ugly), and they'll get dolled up like sluts (Mercedes G wagon, is that you under all that makeup?).

So, are they a bare bones, base LR4 price? Less? I'd hope way less, but think of the development costs for this thing. The thing that will help them is the platform and many mechanical bits are shared with their other trucks.

But I think they're enjoying their position as an upmarket car and no longer want to make tractors.

Comment

Last year they were testing this shorty chassis under a cut-up RR body shell. I wonder if it's the new D90. Curious what the new wheelbase will be - people are so used to that number.

Name:	images.jpeg
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	7197944

Comment

Back from camping and a few trails this past weekend. Had the P38 over a year now. Still love driving it!

-Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                      '95 525iT
                      '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                      '98 Disco 1

Comment

Guys any thoughts on the Disco I? I'm going to look at a 96 with a manual trans. Has some upgrades, bumper/winch setup, lift kit, larger all-terrain tires, snorkel, He wants $6k, curious what a well-setup one goes for. This might be my first foray into LR Disco territory.

Comment

Aren't those the ones where you can expect to be doing the head gasket as routine maintenance? Every 45-60k or something like that..

That being said, I still like them, not idea what they're worth though!
                          2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

What kind of lift and bumper? D1's are the best rover you can buy. 6k seems reasonable if the gear is good and it is not rusty.

Comment

green rrc just went up for sale around the corner from my house. Its belonged to the current owner for at least 15 years....(grew up in the same neighborhood I live in now)

anyone got any info on taking a look over one of these?
                              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Here's the c-list ad for the Disco I:

Comment

Working...
                                X