No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I meant to write this last post but forgot.

2mAn I also think that Alfisti is confused because the panasport looking wheels (R85 S-lites at a whopping 25.1 lb) came on R53s and not R56. Same story with the R84 X-lites (at a reasonable 17.4 lb)
    Helps the reference to 2002 make sense as well.

Unfortunately for me the R108 Multispoke wheels are still 22.9 lbs lol, but I found something 17x8 at 17.4 lbs that might be a spring purchase.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

is there an app that I can use to morph pictures from one to another? Im sure the technology has reached the point that normal people can use it? I have an .... idea
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I asked over on f30post, but didn't get any response. The TL/DR is, "What is the state inspection process in Philly and what kind of work-arounds exist for modified cars?"

I'm considering a move from San Francisco to Philly at some point. I'm pretty well versed on the rules out here for any kind of driveline modifications, but I'm having a tough time figuring out the SE PA rules. I'd like to get a better understanding of what kind of issues I may face before buying stuff that I may have to remove every year.
        1. I've got a 1989 325i that's going to get worked over to a high compression 2.9L, but will look stock to anyone. Stock ECU, intake, possibly getting headers. It should be tuned well enough to pass smog in CA with the stock cat. I assume this car will be fine.
        2. I plan to get an e30 touring (don't care about the engine), which will get a built m20 of some displacement and a turbo. It's going to be heavily modified; MegaSquirt ECU, turbo, custom exhaust, etc. I've got 90% of the parts BNIB sitting on a shelf in my garage. What kind of options do I have for registering the touring as a weekend driver?
        3. I have a 2014 335i that currently has a CP and bm3 tune. Soon to have an intercooler. I'm considering a TIC, Turbo Inlet, and catted DP. Would the intake pipe stuff fail a visual? I assume they check OBD readiness, so will I need to flash back to stock and lock the ECU? Could I pass the test with a catted DP assuming the Cat monitor was "not set" instead of "failed"? Am I looking at putting the stock cat in once a year or getting a high-end catted DP to pass?

I appreciate any info/guidance.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
          I asked over on f30post, but didn't get any response. The TL/DR is, "What is the state inspection process in Philly and what kind of work-arounds exist for modified cars?"

I'm considering a move from San Francisco to Philly at some point. I'm pretty well versed on the rules out here for any kind of driveline modifications, but I'm having a tough time figuring out the SE PA rules. I'd like to get a better understanding of what kind of issues I may face before buying stuff that I may have to remove every year.[LIST=1][*]I've got a 1989 325i that's going to get worked over to a high compression 2.9L, but will look stock to anyone. Stock ECU, intake, possibly getting headers. It should be tuned well enough to pass smog in CA with the stock cat. I assume this car will be fine.[*]I plan to get an e30 touring (don't care about the engine), which will get a built m20 of some displacement and a turbo. It's going to be heavily modified; MegaSquirt ECU, turbo, custom exhaust, etc. I've got 90% of the parts BNIB sitting on a shelf in my garage. What kind of options do I have for registering the touring as a weekend driver?

I appreciate any info/guidance.
          This won't actually be helpful but in Maryland I registered my e30 as historic (needed to be older than 20 years) and that got me to be able to register without emissions or inspection. Technically limited to occasional use with 4k mile limit but it was my daily and no one ever checked in. I cant think you'll have any issues with what you have for the two e30s. Without knowing every east coast state requirements, I would imagine it'll be better than Cali regardless.

VAC is in Philly. Maybe you could borrow items to pass if needed.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

I need to look into classic car plates here... it exempts you from a lot of stuff and it's $20/yr instead of $100

Comment

No one here from the Philly area?

I've done more reading, and it sounds like they do a visual check and possibly an OBD2 check.
              sigpic
              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

Just get antique plates for the older cars and daily drive something else. Not sure about the 2014 mods, I run stock stuff.

Comment

The thing about PA is that the inspection stations are private shops, make nice with someone and you will probably be able to get anything to pass.
                  If the car can pass OBD readiness, or a tailpipe sniffer for the older cars, you should be in good shape.
                  I doubt you will have much issue with any of the visual inspection stuff.
                  That has been my experience anyway

Comment

Happy December everyone

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Happy December^

I've been MIA for two weeks but I guess I didn't miss much here haha.
                      A mini vacation coupled with a work trip to Quebec City where it was cold as shit, and I'm happy to finally be home.
                      Last edited by Northern; 12-06-2021, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                        Happy December^

I've been MIA for two weeks but I guess I didn't miss much here haha.
                        Have you seen Decembers COTM??..
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by plain325 View Post
                          The thing about PA is that the inspection stations are private shops, make nice with someone and you will probably be able to get anything to pass.
                          If the car can pass OBD readiness, or a tailpipe sniffer for the older cars, you should be in good shape.
                          I doubt you will have much issue with any of the visual inspection stuff.
                          That has been my experience anyway
                          That's good to know. I was mostly interested in what makes sense for modding the f30. I ended up spending the cash for an Active AutoWerke downpipe with a GESI cat. It costs more, but it should get the readiness monitors to set and the CAT is 49-state EPA compliant. The older cars will just have to be on an Antique type of plate to avoid inspections.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Have you seen Decembers COTM??..
                            Have the thread open, just didn't have time to go through it yet.

I see I missed the secret santa signup though

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post

I see I missed the secret santa signup though
                              Im sure Matt-B will get you in
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Sent a message as well as posting in that thread, so we'll see.

Comment

Working...
                                X