Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • DEV0 E30
    R3V OG
    • Oct 2004
    • 8896

    #15301
    Originally posted by varg

    Maybe. I wasn't impressed by my mom's Passat back when she had one, that's my barometer. I have FWD and VW prejudice

    It's the nonsense thread I can go off topic a bit on that, with a few expensive or vintage exceptions FWDs are mobility blobs to me so if I'm going to put up with a FWD I'm not going to deal with VAG headaches or spend a lot of money. I would genuinely rather daily a clean 5 speed 2006 Corolla than a 2026 Civic Type R because I'd rather keep that extra $40k in the stock market or in a classic car than have a daily that is more fun and quick on paper, but to what end.
    MUTLITASKING TO BE FAST:

    ===========

    I get that. Had the FK8, would actually love an FL5 or the DE5 (Integra Type S). But it is a lot of money, and I'm cheap. But I sold my FK8 to fund a project that I haven't been able to focus on (woot non running e30s). So YMMV and all that. I got a EM1 from a friend to pass the time till I found the E30 I wanted and honestly that car was as fun or more fun than the Type R. New Honda manuals feel amazing, till they don't, the weird cup linkage thang it can grind, look hard enough and even all journalists mention this is still there on the FL5s etc. Em1 topic === Shoulda held onto it for at least 2x as long. It was more unique, and if you lojack/alarm the shit out of a golden era Honda... I think that's a car you can honestly enjoy for a loooong time. Assuming safety isn't a concern, and well - I felt more comfortable if it was only me in it.

    =========

    Corolla topic: If it's a Corolla or Matrix XRS --- that's a fun car, but are harder to find now.

    Has the same engine as the Lotus Elise we got here.

    "Both cars share the same legendary high-revving 1.8-liter 2ZZ-GE four-cylinder engine (co-developed with Yamaha and also found in the Lotus Elise) and a 6-speed manual transmission, pushing 164 to 180 horsepower with an 8,200–8,500 RPM redline."

    LANKKKS: GOOGLE, VWVORTEX HAH

    =========

    CLIFFS

    CHEAP CARS = YES.

    EXPENSIVE CARS = I DUNNO, YES BUT NO. DEPENDS.

    BYEBYEFORMEOW

    Project: Touring | Project: Unknown | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

    Comment

    • 2mAn
      Señior Mod
      • Aug 2010
      • 20967

      #15302
      Originally posted by DEV0 E30

      Corolla topic: If it's a Corolla or Matrix XRS --- that's a fun car, but are harder to find now.

      Has the same engine as the Lotus Elise we got here.

      "Both cars share the same legendary high-revving 1.8-liter 2ZZ-GE four-cylinder engine (co-developed with Yamaha and also found in the Lotus Elise) and a 6-speed manual transmission, pushing 164 to 180 horsepower with an 8,200–8,500 RPM redline."

      LANKKKS: GOOGLE, VWVORTEX HAH
      I was just talking to some buddies about the irony that the MR2 got a 1ZZ, not the 2ZZ... but they threw the 2ZZ in a Corolla AND a Matrix... AND A Pontiac VIBE?! (which, yes is just a rebadged Matrix)
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1966 Blue Boat
      -1969 Red VW
      -1986 White BMW
      -2006 Green Thing

      Make R3V Great Again -2020

      Comment

      • varg
        Florida Turbo Man
        • May 2014
        • 3421

        #15303
        Originally posted by DEV0 E30
        I get that. Had the FK8, would actually love an FL5 or the DE5 (Integra Type S). But it is a lot of money, and I'm cheap. But I sold my FK8 to fund a project that I haven't been able to focus on (woot non running e30s). So YMMV and all that. I got a EM1 from a friend to pass the time till I found the E30 I wanted and honestly that car was as fun or more fun than the Type R. New Honda manuals feel amazing, till they don't, the weird cup linkage thang it can grind, look hard enough and even all journalists mention this is still there on the FL5s etc. Em1 topic === Shoulda held onto it for at least 2x as long. It was more unique, and if you lojack/alarm the shit out of a golden era Honda... I think that's a car you can honestly enjoy for a loooong time. Assuming safety isn't a concern, and well - I felt more comfortable if it was only me in it.

        =========

        Corolla topic: If it's a Corolla or Matrix XRS --- that's a fun car, but are harder to find now.

        Has the same engine as the Lotus Elise we got here.

        "Both cars share the same legendary high-revving 1.8-liter 2ZZ-GE four-cylinder engine (co-developed with Yamaha and also found in the Lotus Elise) and a 6-speed manual transmission, pushing 164 to 180 horsepower with an 8,200–8,500 RPM redline."

        LANKKKS: GOOGLE, VWVORTEX HAH

        =========

        CLIFFS

        CHEAP CARS = YES.

        EXPENSIVE CARS = I DUNNO, YES BUT NO. DEPENDS.

        BYEBYEFORMEOW
        New car prices have outpaced my concept of money and I can't stomach the idea of $50k buying a civic or an AWD hot hatch. I may be a car enthusiast but I'm also not ok with hemorrhaging money on depreciation when I could enjoy it better elsewhere. I like the look of the FL5 generation a hell of a lot more than the FK8, but in the end the result is the same for me, I won't spend nearly $50k on a new car and be OK with that money only yielding a turbo FWD sedan with a big wing on it.

        There was an XRS that was kind of rough on cars and bids not too long ago for a reasonable price if it isn't burning oil. If I needed a fuel efficient daily I'd do the 2ZZ+manual version of one of those corolla/matrix/vibe if it was cheap but I wouldn't pay a big premium for it because in the end it's still an fwd econoblob. Unfortunately in addition to being massive theft magnets the 2000s and earlier sport Hondas are pretty expensive for what they are which is a sport version of a fwd economy car which I don't have any sentimental bond with or outsized special interest in. And that's why I was ok spending too much money on a fragile, thirsty, unreliable sports car like the FD, sentimentality - I just think it's beautiful and probably the best and purest sports car of its era.

        Originally posted by 2mAn
        I was just talking to some buddies about the irony that the MR2 got a 1ZZ, not the 2ZZ... but they threw the 2ZZ in a Corolla AND a Matrix... AND A Pontiac VIBE?! (which, yes is just a rebadged Matrix)
        Post MK4 Supra Toyota is disappointment incarnate, they need hand holding to make cool cars. At least they finally made LSDs standard on the GRrolla to go with the $40k base price.

        IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        '93 RX-7 FD3S, pretty and slow

        Comment

        • MrBurgundy
          R3V Degenerate
          • Mar 2012
          • 5595

          #15304
          Dealerships are gouging consumers big time.

          My Jeep sticker was 65k which is fucking nuts and I would never in my life do that.

          My buddy who was the GM at the dealer gave it to me at cost and that was 49k OTD which makes more sense. So lets say 47k is the dealership cost..

          crazy they need to make almost 20k on a truck lol and a fucking jeep too.

          people are retarded enough to pay the price I guess cuz they sold an insane amount of cars every month.





          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 1973 Porsche 914 // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP // 2024 Yamaha XSR700 // 2025 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X

          Comment

          • 2mAn
            Señior Mod
            • Aug 2010
            • 20967

            #15305
            people are stupid in 2026
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1966 Blue Boat
            -1969 Red VW
            -1986 White BMW
            -2006 Green Thing

            Make R3V Great Again -2020

            Comment

            • varg
              Florida Turbo Man
              • May 2014
              • 3421

              #15306
              Have you guys seen those short form videos that were going around of dealership employees saying what they drive and what the monthly payment is? Between poor financial literacy impacting people's ability to understand how much a monthly payment adds up to vs sticker price and low saving meaning many don't have a lot for down payments, a lot of customers may as well have EASY MARK written on their foreheads. Selling cars is a finance business now and people are paying way more than their cars are worth on financing costs. Walking around the lots at work I don't see many expensive new cars, now engineers aren't exactly raking in stacks of cash in the first place, but higher than average baseline math skills probably probably have something to do with engineers being cheap.
              Last edited by varg; Yesterday, 09:26 AM.

              IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              '93 RX-7 FD3S, pretty and slow

              Comment

              • MrBurgundy
                R3V Degenerate
                • Mar 2012
                • 5595

                #15307
                The engineers now are forced to make what the majority of people want- what they want sucks.

                Imagine engineering a car for someone w a room temp IQ

                I have seen those videos and what's crazy is even people in the industry are getting fucked lol

                Here in socal u see some broccoli haired gen Z kid driving a g80 making a 1600 dollar payment for 102 months

                It's crazy like people will get a 9% rate on a 8 year loan just to bring the payments down so they can "afford it"

                like my guy u just cant afford it.

                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 1973 Porsche 914 // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP // 2024 Yamaha XSR700 // 2025 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X

                Comment

                • DEV0 E30
                  R3V OG
                  • Oct 2004
                  • 8896

                  #15308
                  I agree all that has been said since the multi quote never works for me.

                  Next car for wifey is for sure some sort of Toyota hybrid but as new and as cheap as possible at some point somewhat soon.
                  Project: Touring | Project: Unknown | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

                  Comment

                  • MrBurgundy
                    R3V Degenerate
                    • Mar 2012
                    • 5595

                    #15309
                    the goated daily is a ct200h

                    my buddy had one. great car.

                    worth a look
                    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 1973 Porsche 914 // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP // 2024 Yamaha XSR700 // 2025 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X

                    Comment

                    • varg
                      Florida Turbo Man
                      • May 2014
                      • 3421

                      #15310
                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      The engineers now are forced to make what the majority of people want- what they want sucks.

                      Imagine engineering a car for someone w a room temp IQ

                      I have seen those videos and what's crazy is even people in the industry are getting fucked lol

                      Here in socal u see some broccoli haired gen Z kid driving a g80 making a 1600 dollar payment for 102 months

                      It's crazy like people will get a 9% rate on a 8 year loan just to bring the payments down so they can "afford it"

                      like my guy u just cant afford it.
                      At the carmakers, nobody in charge gives a crap about the engineering as anything but a tool to cut costs, engineers in automotive are endlessly optimizing to cut costs while satisfying regulations, it's like the entirety of the job.
                      People don't want plastic oil pans, it's cheaper.
                      People don't want a wet oil pump belt, it's cheaper.
                      People don't want a 4cyl AMG C63, it's cheaper.
                      People don't want a dash that looks like the same plastic ipad knockoff in a $30k hyundai in their $200,000 luxury car, it's cheaper.

                      I avoided the automotive industry because I can't think of an engineering job more soul crushing than taking part in modern cars. I wasn't about to put up with working every day to make cars less interesting in the hope that I might be able to make it to a motorsport division or aftermarket performance company.

                      Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                      I agree all that has been said since the multi quote never works for me.

                      Next car for wifey is for sure some sort of Toyota hybrid but as new and as cheap as possible at some point somewhat soon.
                      This forum software is broken, multi quote doesn't work. I do it manually by replying to one post, moving the reply into notepad, then replying to another post. It's a pain in the ass. Between broken multi quote and round avatars, I hate this version of vBulletin more than the failed panjo integration.

                      IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      '93 RX-7 FD3S, pretty and slow

                      Comment

                      • econti
                        E30 Enthusiast
                        • May 2014
                        • 1150

                        #15311
                        Sold my E30 vert, can feel my hairline improving already.

                        Trying to aim for a 60 series Land Cruiser as a replacement. Might have a rush of blood and buy a hopped up jap skid box though, who's to say. The self-destruction will continue until morale improves.
                        sigpic

                        (clicky on piccy to get to thread)

                        Comment

                        • DEV0 E30
                          R3V OG
                          • Oct 2004
                          • 8896

                          #15312
                          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                          the goated daily is a ct200h

                          my buddy had one. great car.

                          worth a look
                          That's what I was looking for years ago for myself for a good daily.

                          Something a little bigger than the 2015 civic that gets about 30mpg, something a little newer than a ct200h, etc. We will drive it into the ground or till the world ends etc. Recently did a trip in a venza, also an option now, that wasn't bad. Soul? No. But decent enough on a 6 hour trip. Also 500+ miles to a tank and hybrid 40mpg is just impossible to disregard these days. Something for comfortable road tripping to retire my 100 series from that role and something that becomes the main people mover is the goal.

                          Originally posted by varg
                          This forum software is broken, multi quote doesn't work. I do it manually by replying to one post, moving the reply into notepad, then replying to another post. It's a pain in the ass. Between broken multi quote and round avatars, I hate this version of vBulletin more than the failed panjo integration.
                          I normally do that method too, but last reply I was multitasking via the phone or didn't have the time. Or I single quote - write my reply, then copy my whole message, then repeat. Like just now. Downside is I've lost a few replies and rage quit/said ohwell and walked away in the past.

                          Agreed on the bulk of automotive world, very little excites me. If I was looking at a daily/do more than one thang car - again the FL5/DE5 or even Elantra N because some fizz are cool. But again, yeah - I would rather have cheap cars and my vehicle history shows that.

                          Originally posted by econti
                          Sold my E30 vert, can feel my hairline improving already.

                          Trying to aim for a 60 series Land Cruiser as a replacement. Might have a rush of blood and buy a hopped up jap skid box though, who's to say. The self-destruction will continue until morale improves.
                          As a LC nerd, I love all cruisers... and that's a solid replacement - drive plenty of them though. It's a truck on leaf springs that doesn't have the same sort of fizz an e30 has obviously. 80's are great too, but expensive (not that a solid 60/62 isn't) and doesn't quite have the same vibe. Still an old truck though and 80 series suspension is miles ahead. It's "the one" if you want to do stuff off road still. I still have my 100, she needs cosmetic care but not a priority and honestly I can't replace it with anything aside from a 200 in my mind, but that's too much $ for me right now. Again, main focus is something good on the mpgs and reliable for the main family mover. Still, saying it for years - we remain not in a rush to get one, but sooner rather than later at this point I think.

                          ​
                          Project: Touring | Project: Unknown | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

                          Comment

                          Working...