No announcement yet.

Nonsense Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would be cool, BUT I think you would thoroughly enjoy a small truck from the 80s or 90s

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      That would be cool, BUT I think you would thoroughly enjoy a small truck from the 80s or 90s
      You mean he would LUV a "truck," right?

Comment

Im really trying to avoid any smog headaches going forward... after these last two post 2000 car nightmares I had, the thought of dealing with an 80s/90s car is just downright terrifying. Unless it started life as a Diesel and is smog exempt its not happening. There are some things that might happen soon with my pairing of cars and then, who knows what I will do... part of me wants to take the mid-engine madness to the next level with a completed car and see how long I can fly under the radar. Another part of me wants to just stay pre75 and get something cool. Theres a project that I was helping with that has been really stalling and I would love to finish that one off

Two cars on the hamster wheel right now are....

Bid for the chance to own a 1973 MG MGB GT 5-Speed Race Car at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #45,927.
        Last edited by 2mAn; 04-06-2021, 12:46 PM.
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Despite this being an e30 forum, I think the MGB would be more fun to get. It seems like there would be a lot of directions you could still take that one as opposed to the off road e30.

Actually, why not both???

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Why not take up golf and enjoy the services of a Caddy?

Or even deliver your work paperwork via Courier?

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
              Despite this being an e30 forum, I think the MGB would be more fun to get. It seems like there would be a lot of directions you could still take that one as opposed to the off road e30.

Actually, why not both???
              They both present many challenges that I dont want to deal with actually. I drove an MGB a little while ago and was totally underwhelmed with the powerplant. Ive always wanted to build a V8 for the MG, but that would put the racecar into an uncompetitive group and being a racecar I cant really drive it on the street, so thats out...

The E30 would have the typical smog nightmares I was referencing earlier...

Theres a few others on the list, but Im not doing anything right now... besides dreaming
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

I feel that. Who knew dreaming on Bring a Trailer would get me depressed about my lack of money. That place is a blessing and a curse.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                  That place is a blessing and a curse.
                  100%

I used to be excited for the increases in the E30 prices, but its out of control. I dont mind because I know I can still find a cheap E30 if I want it... at the same time I think Im done based off my smog experiences.

The cars Ive linked arent real contenders for my money, just dreaming if I had a big garage and money to burn, of which I have neither.

At this point the cars that are serious contenders for the fun car spot they are either smog exempt, pre75 cars (I have ~3-4 Im currently watching) or a modern, badass car that hasnt been flagged yet. We'll see what happens.

Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

In fairness, and if you can do without a manual, facelift W204s seem like a good value for money, and are totally anonymous on the road, which isn't a bad thing. It might not be badass, but it's a pleasant cruiser that is plenty competent.

Comment

My w204 was overall a nice car, but the 3.5 V6 didnt get good mpg so it doesnt have that benefit. It was quick with the 7speed, but not quick enough to be considered fast. It was comfy, but not comfy enough. I think about this car fairly often...

The part that killed me the most (besides my wife hating riding in it) was that anytime something went wrong, it cost over a thousand to fix and it wasnt a DIY car. Thats a huge turnoff for nearly every new car, C63 included. I couldnt even install the suspension myself... come on!
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

All my cars require star smogs on a dyno lol
                        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

But you're also a tech so your cars should be good to go and if not you can spend time diagnosing the issues. I dont have time for that isht no mo
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            But you're also a tech so your cars should be good to go and if not you can spend time diagnosing the issues. I dont have time for that isht no mo
                            I feel that. Sometimes it is a royal PITA to get cars ready for smog..

It's even getting hard to find people who are willing and capable to test a car on the dyno. I went through a shit show last may to smog the e30 and it turns out the smog tech could never fit their CA supplied fuel tank pressure tester to my car correctly.

I'm just waiting for California to exempt roller test vehicles -- Hopefully that happens instead of things getting even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

I feel that. Sometimes it is a royal PITA to get cars ready for smog..

It's even getting hard to find people who are willing and capable to test a car on the dyno. I went through a shit show last may to smog the e30 and it turns out the smog tech could never fit their CA supplied fuel tank pressure tester to my car correctly.

I'm just waiting for California to exempt roller test vehicles -- Hopefully that happens instead of things getting even worse.
                              You know CA will restrict usage in some way, even if it's not immediate, if they make them smog exempt. Just like historic plates in other areas, they started out as a cheap way to have an occasional use vehicle, and ultimately ended up on overloaded old work vans, leading to tightening restrictions.

Comment

Time will tell..

Speaking of roller tests.. The ranger is up...

Comment

Working...
                                X