Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been r3v-slacking lately. Was two pages behind on here :/

Work has been so busy, not even funny.

All my work uniforms are wearing out and Dickie's quit making the thinner block shirts....the thick ones are so hot to work in. :/

EDIT: Found a place that has them! Woot!
    Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 03-25-2021, 05:55 AM.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Every time I think I getting closer to buying a Porsche I seem to take a step back, but luckily I’m not in a situation that requires me to be impatient.

The E46 Wagon has vet to proven its worth, but there’s no rush to sell. Being a 5speed wagon with a M54B30 it’s special enough and the longer I have it the more dialed in I’ll make it. I expect to sell for a nice profit when I finally sell it. At that point it’s a question of what happens to the MR2 and what kind of car I need next. Still love the thought of a C63 and doing a manual swap.
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

don’t mind me... I’m just waiting to see if I need to get involved.

feel free to start a COVID thread in P&R and let loose though...

BTW anyone see the South Park Vaccine special? Hilarious
        We cannot pervert the Nonsense thread lol

I'll save my covid rants to those unlucky enough to be around me after a couple beers.

A w204 c63 is such an awesome car.. I vote for that.

Side note;

I haven't turned my phone on since Monday and it feels great. It's like 2003 up in this mfer.

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Got my Inferno a partner to share the burden:

IMG-2001 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

2021 TRD Offroad 4x4 Long Bed with Premium Package

IMG-2010 by Michael Rickerd, on Flickr

It rolled off the assembly line 11 days ago and has been rented more than it has been sitting at my house.

Hoping this will be a good year as I want an E92 M3 to daily while I'm reviving my E36 M3. While both trucks are gone I'm stuck driving a 2017 Kia Soul, which is cool enough, but not what my soul desires.
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Nice, expanding already!

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

My love for the Bravada has worn off. I'm seeking a RWD Volvo wagon to replace it. Market sucks, 240s are stupid difficult to find in decent shape, so it's down to the more spacious and boxy 740 and 940s. I of course can't suffer slow for too long so I was thinking of a swap, but strong manuals for LS or Vortec/LM engines are quite expensive, which has me considering a turbo M50 because an M50 and transmission is cheaper than a T56 alone, or a CD009 and adapters, etc. Same transmission + general expense issue applies to redblocks and whiteblocks. All in time. I have the urge to try and make my most powerful car yet, but for straight lines or rolls this time instead of focusing so much on handling like I did with the E30.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
              The appeal of one of the last simple good BMW sedans has much appeal but...
              Simple? I know it's not a G20 but an E46 is hardly simple, it is full of computers, has CAN bus, double VANOS, etc.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

If you're looking to LS on the cheap, are you willing to consider an nv3500?
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Not really.
                  1. Not sure if it would take the torque, having a lower rating than a T56
                  2. The close ratio NV3500s have awful ratios for a car in comparison to a T56 and the wide ratio is even worse. First gear in particular would be useless.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

There was a local guy with an e30 w/5.3+LSA blower at ~550whp who ran an NV3500 (I think) and didn't blow it up. I sent him a message for details and I'll update this when he gets back to me

Edit, yeah it was an NV3500, also apparently has the same trans in a ratrod he still owns. So seems it's a lot stronger than than a T5 or something.
                    Last edited by Northern; 03-27-2021, 01:04 PM.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Durable or not, the gear ratios are definitely not well suited for a powerful car with a lot of low end torque.

Click image for larger version  Name:	NV3500 ratios.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.6 KB ID:	9980305
                      T56:
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	t56 camaro.jpg Views:	0 Size:	11.8 KB ID:	9980306

And ZF320 for comparison, which has sub-optimal ratios because you have to find "highway gears" for your diff, but at least once you do that the spacing is ok.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	zf320 ratios.jpg Views:	0 Size:	12.5 KB ID:	9980307
                      Last edited by varg; 03-27-2021, 01:59 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                        My love for the Bravada has worn off. I'm seeking a RWD Volvo wagon to replace it. Market sucks, 240s are stupid difficult to find in decent shape, so it's down to the more spacious and boxy 740 and 940s. I of course can't suffer slow for too long so I was thinking of a swap, but strong manuals for LS or Vortec/LM engines are quite expensive, which has me considering a turbo M50 because an M50 and transmission is cheaper than a T56 alone, or a CD009 and adapters, etc. Same transmission + general expense issue applies to redblocks and whiteblocks. All in time. I have the urge to try and make my most powerful car yet, but for straight lines or rolls this time instead of focusing so much on handling like I did with the E30.

Simple? I know it's not a G20 but an E46 is hardly simple, it is full of computers, has CAN bus, double VANOS, etc.
                        get one with a turbo 5 cylinder
                        91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                        Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                        E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                        "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Hard pass. T5s are relatively weak and they come exclusively in FWD or AWD cars, the latter have laughably weak drivetrains, the former are FWD . The whole problem with tuning Volvos, which I am familiar with because that's where I started my journey, is that none of the ordinary ones can just be made absurdly powerful with stock components, unlike our E30s. We've seen time and time again that you can bolt on a turbo kit and put a clutch in a 325 and make 400whp without breaking anything unless you seriously abuse it. If you try to make a 2/7/9 that powerful you'll nuke the transmission immediately, once you replace that with something stronger you're at risk of twisting stock axles off if you have traction. A transmission swap involves expensive adapters or an unobtanium M90 transmission. The later, easier to find redblocks (B230F/FT) are not as strong as the venerable B23F/FT and won't touch my E30 let alone be my most powerful car yet without upgraded internals. The 8V heads flow well worse than an M20 and 16V conversions are no longer as easy as ordering a kit, flycutting the pistons and finding a head in the junkyard. The 850 and V70 NA engines are weak, bolting on a turbo and trying to do anything impressive is going to end predictably, once you build the engine you have weak transmissions to deal with and the stronger versions of the FWD manual transmissions are hard to find. The turbo cars are better but not by much and getting expensive, wagons less common. The AWD cars aren't worth trifling with for big power unless you're on another level like Nisse Järnet or just have a very fat wallet.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

It doesn’t sound like you know what you’re talking about. Have you done any research? Lol
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Hey, I had an NV-3500 in both of my Dodge Dakotas.
                              One had 160k miles and shifted as smooth as butter.

I also had an NV-2500 in my 2.2L S-10, also good.
                              I do things.

Comment

If going to LS Swap, just pull the T56 with the engine, but go for a later one '00-'02. The earlier ones don't shift as well from what I've read.

The one in my '02 Corvette was 'meh' I've had smoother shifting trucks.

The NV-3500 is fine, but it's definitely made for towing.

T56 + 3.73 rear end is about perfect, and parts are plentiful. The 3.42 GM loves to use just makes first and second too long for sporty driving.

If you're feeling wild, go 4.10.
                                I do things.

Comment

Working...
                                X