OK Gun enthusiasts, I want an actual answer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post

Ahhh, so you don't have a defensible retort, so a sad attempt at mocking sarcasm. You showed me!
    I did have a response, but it appears you're more interested in reinforcing how you're right instead of considering differing opinions.

I wasn't ignoring facts. As I already said, I don't have the numbers in front of me. From what I recall, there was one less mass shooting during the 94 AWB than the previous decade. One isn't exactly an appreciable number and would fall within the margin of error for any statistic.

The mass shootings that I compiled included workplace, school, domestic and other public shootings. It didn't include gang violence as I thought it didn't really apply to the issue of mass shootings. Of those, the number that included assault rifles vs handguns echoed the FBI statistics.

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post

The home defense and hunting narrative is dead.
    Please share Uncle Joe, what is the better option for defending my home?

Comment

If people are angry, they're going to lash out at society. That's just human nature. Whether it happens with road rage, or blasting music on the metro, or calling themselves pansexual goldfishkin with xsje/xsjim/xsjhey as their preferrred pronouns, you've got to understand that these people are upset at society. That is the issue. I think trying to solve it with weapons bans is a short sighted bandaid. Yes, mass gun attacks are popular here. Mass knife attacks are popular in China. Running people over with cars or trucks could become the new hotness.

The issue is society. We need better healthcare. Accessible. Tax payer paid. Non judgemental.

I like the comment about not disarming until the police disarm. I agree with that and would give up my rifles if the police did too. That won't happen though and any talk of disarming the country is a laughable pipe dream.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by myinfernalbmw View Post

A pistol for ease of maneuverability and less collateral damage. A rifle round is likely leaving your house unless it hits a very solid structure, which means your situation is now impacting other innocent people and needs to be accounted for. If you don't know exactly where that round is going then you shouldn't be pulling the trigger.

Comment

I'll take this one. It's called a security door, a fence, and bars over your windows. Honestly tho, if you're concerned with protecting your home, preventing them from getting inside would be the first step. Not arming yourself.

If your trying to say an ar style rifle is for home defense, then your just ignorant about guns. Ar style rifle are terrible for that, hunting, and every other misuse you have for them. They're great for shooting people from range tho, cause that's what they were designed for. The us military has even looked for alternatives to them due to the urban conflicts your country is currently in. Basically because of the length of the gun it's unwieldy in close quarters. I.e. inside buildings. You ever wonder why tactical teams use carbine, bullpup, or sub machine guns? Cause they were designed to be used in that environment, ar's weren't.

If you want one cause you think it's cool, and you just want one, than admit that. But don't use bullshit like "home defense", its disingenuous.
          Last edited by CarpHunter; 08-09-2019, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Bill Burr has the best explanation ...

Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post

A pistol for ease of maneuverability and less collateral damage. A rifle round is likely leaving your house unless it hits a very solid structure, which means your situation is now impacting other innocent people and needs to be accounted for. If you don't know exactly where that round is going then you shouldn't be pulling the trigger.
              My AR is chambered in 9mm and it's overall length is less than 23", which was a conscious thought when I assembled it. 3 points of contact on the gun means better control and retention. I have thought long and hard about this because I take it seriously, as I think it would be irresponsible as a gun owner to not. In my house the likelihood of me putting a round into a neighbors house is very unlikely, especially based on the most likely entry points of a potential intruder.

Originally posted by CarpHunter View Post

I'll take this one. It's called a security door, a fence, and bars over your windows. Honestly tho, if you're concerned with protecting your home, preventing them from getting inside would be the first step. Not arming yourself.

If your trying to say an ar style rifle is for home defense, then your just ignorant about guns. Ar style rifle are terrible for that, hunting, and every other misuse you have for them. They're great for shooting people from range tho, cause that's what they were designed for. The us military has even looked for alternatives to them due to the urban conflicts your country is currently in. Basically because of the length of the gun it's unwieldy in close quarters. I.e. inside buildings. You ever wonder why tactical teams use carbine, bullpup, or sub machine guns? Cause they were designed to be used in that environment, ar's weren't.

If you want one cause you think it's cool, and you just want one, than admit that. But don't use bullshit like "home defense", its disingenuous.
              K bro. Telling someone you know more about something without offering up any sort of evidence to support it is generally a telltale sign that I'd be better off listening to the sounds coming out of your ass. Feel free to elaborate on how you came to all of those conclusions. I'd be more than happy to dissect every bit of your senseless drivel, but I have a funny feeling it would fall on deaf ears.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Bill Burr has the best explanation ...

https://youtu.be/x9iYvyffAh4
                If the sound of a pump action shotgun doesn't make em run the good spread will take care of yer problems.

Comment

I did have a response, but it appears you're more interested in reinforcing how you're right instead of considering differing opinions.

I wasn't ignoring facts. As I already said, I don't have the numbers in front of me. From what I recall, there was one less mass shooting during the 94 AWB than the previous decade. One isn't exactly an appreciable number and would fall within the margin of error for any statistic.

The mass shootings that I compiled included workplace, school, domestic and other public shootings. It didn't include gang violence as I thought it didn't really apply to the issue of mass shootings. Of those, the number that included assault rifles vs handguns echoed the FBI statistics.

Z31maniac wants you to squirt your visually-non-threatening Super Soaker (no AK47 lookalikes please!) twice into the air from your back porch, upon sighting a home invader. Then call 911 and wait 17 minutes for a public safety response. If you put up a “No guns allowed” sign, chances are, the bad guys won’t want to enter anyway.

Comment

My AR is chambered in 9mm and it's overall length is less than 23", which was a conscious thought when I assembled it. 3 points of contact on the gun means better control and retention. I have thought long and hard about this because I take it seriously, as I think it would be irresponsible as a gun owner to not. In my house the likelihood of me putting a round into a neighbors house is very unlikely, especially based on the most likely entry points of a potential intruder.

K bro. Telling someone you know more about something without offering up any sort of evidence to support it is generally a telltale sign that I'd be better off listening to the sounds coming out of your ass. Feel free to elaborate on how you came to all of those conclusions. I'd be more than happy to dissect every bit of your senseless drivel, but I have a funny feeling it would fall on deaf ears.
                    Well bro, no need to be a dick. Wasn't attacking you. But ok.

For starters you state you had to think long and hard about how to build your ar. Which means you were never looking for the best home defense gun, you just wanted an ar and had to come up with bullshit to justify it over a more appropriate or better suited gun. All I stated was that it was a uneducated choice for the task at hand.

As I said, if you want it cause you think it's cool, or more likely in your case, makes your dick feel big, it's cool. Just say that. Don't use a bunch of bullshit to justify it. The only justification you need is I like it, it's legal, I bought one. Simple. And a better reason than the one you gave.

Comment

For starters you state you had to think long and hard about how to build your ar. Which means you were never looking for the best home defense gun, you just wanted an ar and had to come up with bullshit to justify it over a more appropriate or better suited gun. All I stated was that it was a uneducated choice for the task at hand.

As I said, if you want it cause you think it's cool, or more likely in your case, makes your dick feel big, it's cool. Just say that. Don't use a bunch of bullshit to justify it. The only justification you need is I like it, it's legal, I bought one. Simple. And a better reason than the one you gave.
                      this is really ironic
                      91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                      Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                      E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                      "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post

this is really ironic
                        Learn the definition of irony please. Nothing i posted is ironic.

Irony is the shooting instructor that shoots himself. Or the gun range owner killed by a little girl he just handed an uzi too. Or the gun rights and responsible gun owner shot by her child in the back seat cause she let her loaded and chambered gun fall out of her purse.

edit:

Forgot the ultimate irony here. Whenever you guys use these ar style guns for target practice, hunting, home defense ect., you're using it incorrectly for a purpose it was never designed to do. Yet... when someone mows down a crowd with one, their using it correctly for the exact purpose it was designed for. Huh
                        Last edited by CarpHunter; 08-09-2019, 05:55 PM.

Comment

OP here's the problem. You've put anyone who disagrees with you on the defensive and galvanized their positions the second they start reading. Saying stuff like
                          muh second amendment
                          is just grandstanding and trolling. It reads like a 4chan post, and it isn't productive. It says you're not here for answers, you're here to morally grandstand and belittle people who disagree with you. Do you think that there's something wrong with people who believe they as law abiding citizens should have access to weapons as guaranteed by the Second amendment? Your language belies someone ideologically opposed to the idea of an uninfringed second amendment and that nothing anyone says in here would make you even consider anything else so why bother?

You want a real solution? There isn't one. Maybe if the 24h "news" cycle stops making shooters household names overnight, essentially glorifying their actions, broken people will be less inclined to do it to seek infamy. But they aren't all seeking infamy, some of them are just evil and want to kill people whether it means parking a truck in front of a building and blowing it up, plowing over a crowd in a challenger or shooting up a club. Maybe making it harder for the mentally ill to have guns will stop some of these scenarios, but how do you prove someone is mentally ill legally, and how do you detect it when they've shut the world out and have no connections? Making it impossible for good people to get guns they want and have the right to own is not going to stop anything bad from happening, and there's no way to suss out all of the bad people without catching innocent people in the net and violating their second and fourth amendment rights. There is a certain element of societal decay at play here, things are extremely divisive right now and there is little national unity, but the FBI crime statistics bear that there is and has been a significant downward trend in all violent crime over the past 30 years. You wouldn't think that based on what the charlatans on the TV and in the political arena say. The 24h "news" cycle and its constant fearmongering is deliberately designed to make things seem worse than they are because fear keeps eyes on the screen and slows the death of the business.

Killing is terrible, violence against the innocent reprehensible, but using it to politically grandstand for an ideologically held position is not helping anything.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

Being a dick and then saying not to be a dick is the irony. Someone having to explain it to you doesn't really help either. Or maybe I just misunderstood where you were calling me ignorant without offering any reason as to why, other than a series of biased opinions and no facts.

Learn the definition of irony please. Nothing i posted is ironic.

Irony is the shooting instructor that shoots himself. Or the gun range owner killed by a little girl he just handed an uzi too. Or the gun rights and responsible gun owner shot by her child in the back seat cause she let her loaded and chambered gun fall out of her purse.

edit:

Forgot the ultimate irony here. Whenever you guys use these ar style guns for target practice, hunting, home defense ect., you're using it incorrectly for a purpose it was never designed to do. Yet... when someone mows down a crowd with one, their using it correctly for the exact purpose it was designed for. Huh
                            This is like dealing with my socially retarded cousin. He won't have an ounce of actual knowledge on a subject, but somehow interjecting his opinion based on seemingly nothing always seems like the right move. The real kicker is that he doesn't bother to try to come up with even a half assed attempt at a coherent thought, but that won't stop him from arguing that he's right.

The M16 wasn't designed to mow down crowds and if I actually have to explain why then there is no point in trying to have a conversation with someone that stupid.

I am going to give you another chance to tell me WHY the AR is not a good choice for home defense and what is a better choice and WHY.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

Should you be able to own and use a rocket launcher? how about a tank?
                              price check on 1 tank and 1 rocket launcher with rockets please.

on the original question without commenting on the troll.

nothing. it changed nothing except i wasn't able to go out shooting with cool guns.
                              i think there is an anti depiction of violence right now on video games pretty lulz
                              Last edited by LowR3V'in; 08-09-2019, 09:01 PM.

Comment

i was thinking if cnn/fox focused on certain acts of violence i bet ppl would go crazy on whatever they where focused on.
                                ppl get killed all the time.
                                Theres this local gang banger that killed like 4 people and sliced up 20 or something went on a spree with a machete.
                                if they focused on blade related killings guess what would happen. remember the switch blade ban or that butterfly knife ban?
                                why do you NEEED a knife longer then 3'', why do you NEED a fast opening pocket knife. give me a break brah.

Comment

Working...
                                X