Hoovie bought an E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoovie bought an E30

Will his mechanic get much richer? He connected his super-duper BMW scanner, and it showed nothing.

The diagnostic equipment on these cars is too primitive to get any meaningful data out of and can throw false readings all the time (newer cars are much worse in the latter issue though). IMO on something this old its better to judge the condition of the parts by looking and listening to things. If its making an unusual noise or looks super worn/leaky, fix it.
    1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
    1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

So far, the comments on Youtube are mostly positive.

"That's the first time Hoovie bought a decent car."
      "I will get it out of your hands."
      "It's not the M3, not a collector car. Why are regular E30 so expensive?" But the iX is pretty rare, especially as a coupe.

Comment

All the work is need is basic stuff. Will be fantastic when he gets that all fixed.
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          All the work is need is basic stuff. Will be fantastic when he gets that all fixed.
          I was going to say $2k isnt bad especially with someone else doing the work. If he fixed all that it would be a pretty sweet car.
          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Exactly. Once the timing belt and water pump is done you're basically good on the motor side of things as long as the valves are adjusted. He was doing the valve cover gasket so Im sure he added a valve adjustment too. New CABs, New Struts/ Shocks. New exhaust. Pretty good deal and what a transformation when hes done
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Exactly. Once the timing belt and water pump is done you're basically good on the motor side of things as long as the valves are adjusted. He was doing the valve cover gasket so Im sure he added a valve adjustment too. New CABs, New Struts/ Shocks. New exhaust. Pretty good deal and what a transformation when hes done
              Given it's age it's probably the head gasket, not the valve cover gasket as it's usually misdiagnosed as. My e30 also had a similar leak at the same spot. Don't ask me how many valve cover gaskets and oil pan gaskets I went thru attempting to fix that leak

Regardless, 2k is a steal. The reason why he's paying so little, is probably because he has a deal with the owner to continuously bring him business (old hoopties).
              Last edited by Stanley Rockafella; 12-07-2020, 01:41 PM.
              If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

It's difficult to see the bill. But the parts are about $1,400.

Comment

Ok, the timing belt has been changed.

It costs $200 to change the valve cover gasket in an E30 or $2,500 in a modern BMW.

Comment

1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Haha funny I just posted that in the BAT thread. Guess he's flipping fast. Wonder if he will make a video.

Comment

I read that as “Cars and Birds”.. Need a vacation. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                        2016 Ford Flex
                        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Staszek that is too funny! He posted a video regarding the C&B sale on his second channel, Little Hoovies. I emailed him on it before he announced the potential sale, and he mentioned having $11-12K into it after the repairs, so he was hoping to get that back out of it.
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Probably didn't event replace front seals.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                              Staszek that is too funny! He posted a video regarding the C&B sale on his second channel, Little Hoovies. I emailed him on it before he announced the potential sale, and he mentioned having $11-12K into it after the repairs, so he was hoping to get that back out of it.
                              Seems like he got that at least for now

Comment

Working...
                              X