Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rear axles... whats out there thats strong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's possible that there is another spec that BMW wanted from Lobro, and that Lobro also manufactures a slightly different product to sell directly, but I don't know how we would realistically check that. Either way, most GKN stuff seems fine.

Comment

Manufactures change design over time probably to pinch penny’s, and make in different plants.

Genuine and OEM can vary.. unfortunately..

Maybe even new BMWs could be different than original equipped units.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

From some basic looking around it looks like there are three main suppliers in the E30 axle market.

GSP - Sub $50 (off brands - can be had for as little as $32 shipped)
        -pretty sure they are a contract manufacturer, they also appear to sell seconds
        Wonh-Wonh - $50-100 (FEQ, Cardone, Duralast)
        -direct manufacturer
        GKN - $200
        -both direct manufacturer and contracts out production

I'd be really interested to see who is making the CV sub-assemblies for each primary manufacturer, but I don't think I care that much.

Comment

Poking around Lobro is also the OEM equip for BMW,VAG , MB, and many others. They basically are the "ZF" or "Getrag" of half shafts.

Sure, every market has penny pinchers, that's why an m20 has real forged rods and the m52 and later has snapped cap powder forgings etc.

john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Oh, and there are more aftermarket axles. Drive Right comes to mind. Those were/are sold through Auto Zone and actually are decent quality, but they used the wrong sized outer boots and are known to rub on the rear shock with suspension droop.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:

Comment

On an E46M I supported for a few years we broke an axle at Sebring. I Made the decision to run DSS axle after considering the UNKNOWN for Genuine "REMAN" axles. You have no idea the abuse the reman axles have gone threw. Its not like they are going to Xray the shafts on rebuilds....

Food for thought. I'm Not sold on New GKN E30 axles though. Ill post of the squished boot when I get a chance.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

The GKN axles are the best that's out there, in my experience, too.
                I had one boot fail, too, which I attributed to abuse-
                I re- booted it with a GKN boot, and the replacement boot was heavier and much more supple.
                3 years later, it looks new, if I clean all the grime off it.

YMMV, but maybe not by much...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

so we should buy new GKN axles and immediately replacement boots and swap them for best longevity causes the replacement boots are better than one that come with the axle? i say this in jest but seems to be too many boot issues for a new product

i recall reading that some axles in the aftermarket causing the boot to rub, i assume this is the el cheapo ones only and the GKN are ok?
                  Last edited by digger; 01-12-2020, 03:24 PM.
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Nope. I'm just saying that if, by some extreme bad luck, one fines oneself HAVING to buy a new axle, the GKNs are probably the best bet.
                    Likewise, I think I've replaced 3 or four boots ever in my lifetime, (not including E46xi front boots) and the 2 times I used non- GKN boots,
                    I ended up replacing them within a couple of years.

That's all.

t
                    das boot.
                    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I drag race my e30 sedan with a built M30 on nitrous, so you can imagine how long axles last for me. I've found that the $260 GKN axles are the best, however I've broken then right out of the box on my first launch. This brand new GKN axle broke on the first run. I found this company that sells axle adapters to run e34 axles in a e30. Unfortunately they are not the larger 96mm M60/M5 axels, but the smaller 86mm CV joint from a e34 525i. I got some feedback from people who have used these and they claim the e34 axles are much stronger than e30 axles. I thought I'd give them a shot. E34 vs E30 axles. I'll update my findings. Hopefully they hold up to 500 whp nitrous drag launches. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you pop the cover off the end of the CV's, you can see the size of the splines, bearings, and cages. Are you more often breaking the stubs, or CV's? You can swap the Porsche CV's onto the e30 axles and they are even stronger than the GKN, but it seems the bigger failures come for the CV stubs or diff output stubs, and less from the actual CV's failing - when discussing OEM or GKN anyways, box store axles CV's are made of glass. Just rebuilt an e28 535i axle on Friday, and didn't even think to compare to the e30 stuff which I have several torn down on the bench.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                          If you pop the cover off the end of the CV's, you can see the size of the splines, bearings, and cages. Are you more often breaking the stubs, or CV's? You can swap the Porsche CV's onto the e30 axles and they are even stronger than the GKN, but it seems the bigger failures come for the CV stubs or diff output stubs, and less from the actual CV's failing - when discussing OEM or GKN anyways, box store axles CV's are made of glass. Just rebuilt an e28 535i axle on Friday, and didn't even think to compare to the e30 stuff which I have several torn down on the bench.
                          What P/N is the Porsche CV joint? Is it 86mm? Another reason I went to e34 axles is both joints are rebuild able. On e30 axles you can only take apart the inner joint, I do know some people manage to get the outer CV apart but it's a pain. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

The joint is just as easy as the outside, it's saving the cap that's a pain. They are crimped on much tighter than the outside caps are.

Look up RCVPerformance and RaceReadyProducts, they both sell HD CV parts piecemeal. The e30 uses the same 28 spline shafts as the Porsche, and have the same two bolt patterns as BMW available - haven't really looked into the e34 stuff as it's not too difficult to pop the z3m or e36 axle stubs into the diff to get the larger diameter - but - again, they typically fail at the splines anyways. :(
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                              The joint is just as easy as the outside, it's saving the cap that's a pain. They are crimped on much tighter than the outside caps are. Look up RCVPerformance and RaceReadyProducts, they both sell HD CV parts piecemeal. The e30 uses the same 28 spline shafts as the Porsche, and have the same two bolt patterns as BMW available - haven't really looked into the e34 stuff as it's not too difficult to pop the z3m or e36 axle stubs into the diff to get the larger diameter - but - again, they typically fail at the splines anyways. :(
                              It was my understanding that e30/e36 or any 86mm CV joint uses a 25 spline shaft. Only the 94mm CV joints e36 M3, Z3M, e34 540, etc use the 28 spline. But I've never taken one apart. It would be cool to find some aftermarket CV parts and build a cheap durable axle. Everyone's first suggestion is always run a Z3M rear end, but prices on these parts has gotten ridiculous. It is pretty crazy these cars can hook a 1.4 60 foot on the stock rear end. (With the exception of drag slicks) Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

The e34 86mm axles (e34 525i) use a 32mm 25 spline. This is larger than even the e36 M3 axle shaft (30mm 28 spline) All this info I'm pulling from I think I'm going to take one of these e34 shafts apart for science. Link to replacement CV joint https://www.ebay.com/itm/254575686314 Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk Edit I'm a dumbass, it's 32mm thick CV joint.
                                Last edited by st.petebiodiesel; 06-02-2020, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X