Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just took a ride in my white M3 after putting everything together a few days ago. Man, the car feels very solid and planted. I actually raised the ride height to get more suspension travel before installing the rear camber/toe adjustments. It's nice to have that adjustability. So far, I have nothing but good things to say about the AKG poly street mounts. I lubed them up real good with sil-glide and they haven't made a peep. They were easy to install too.

OEM bushings with 183k miles...cracked and disintegrating.

Perfect time to clean all the gunk off, address any rust, install steel braided brake lines and M diff cover. All back together after sending the subframe out for camber/toe adjustments. In the interest of time I didn't reinforce the diff carrier mounts and opted not to change the axles and bearings since they were fine.

It was a pain but i won't have to drop that sucker ever again.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 07-25-2015, 09:54 PM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Nice Barry! The bushings really made a big difference in my car too. They were the last bushings that needed to be replaced so now I am switching gears and focusing my attention (and $$) on the cosmetics. My car will have new front fenders (dent free and OEM alpine1 paint) along with a replacement driver door in the near future. The door breaker broke last year and its been a minor nuisance, but a nuisance nonetheless. It helps that the paint is also much better than my door also...
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by ethrtyiS View Post
        Call JMP Autowerks in Reseda. They no longer make them in house but Alan is still making them at his home. Jerick at JMP can direct you to him. 818-457-4967.
        Originally posted by IRON-E View Post
        +1
        thanks for the recommendations guys, i'll be calling in soon.
        sigpic
        @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
        Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
          Barry, I saw you posted this on FB and I can honestly say, this thing is really looking good! Makes me wish I can shit out an easy $30k and build me one.
          Originally posted by J.Rizo View Post
          thanks for the recommendations guys, i'll be calling in soon.
          Of course!

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
          my feedback thread

Comment

Does anyone know a good currency exchange place that has decent rates and won't rape my money, preferably in the valley? Thanks.

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
            my feedback thread

Comment

Does anyone know a good currency exchange place that has decent rates and won't rape my money, preferably in the valley? Thanks.
              Check your home bank.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Barry, I saw you posted this on FB and I can honestly say, this thing is really looking good! Makes me wish I can shit out an easy $30k and build me one.

Of course!
                Thanks. A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into this one but I enjoyed getting it back to this point.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                  Check your home bank.
                  I haven't checked my local bank but I checked another branch and they told me they were unable to do it. I'm thinking it might just be that location. Since you have experience in this Aby, do they exchange Argentine Pesos? And is there a way to check to see if the currency isn't too old to exchange?
                  Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                  Thanks. A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into this one but I enjoyed getting it back to this point.
                  You're welcome! I'm sure you have and it has completely paid off! :)

my feedback thread

Comment

Speaking of bank has anyone seen the self checkers for check deposits?
                    I just put in 5 checks idk why they did this.

Comment

I haven't checked my local bank but I checked another branch and they told me they were unable to do it. I'm thinking it might just be that location. Since you have experience in this Aby, do they exchange Argentine Pesos? And is there a way to check to see if the currency isn't too old to exchange?
                      Who do you bank with? Some banks its very limited, if at all. Typically they send it to Travelex to deal with the exchange... and charge you a fee for doing it. Might as well cut out the middleman and go straight to them. Contact travelex and see what the exchange rate is and then compare it with what the bank will give you.

Worst case, they usually have exchange offices in airports, but I think their rates are also different. Either way, you're losing some money haha
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

You're welcome! I'm sure you have and it has completely paid off! :)
                        The reason the other bank couldn't do it is because:
                        1. You didn't have an account there. You have to have an account for them to use as recourse in case the foreign money is bogus and they have to debit you for it.

If you had an account:
                        2. You could of stepped in after the system cutoff time.
                        Foreign exchange rates are constantly changing and there is a period of time where the system where the bank gets the rate from closes, so they can't pull up the exact rate and/or do not want to be held liable for giving you a wrong exchange rate.

3. You went in on a Saturday. The exchange rate system at the bank could of been closed (non business day).

Go to your bank and try to do the exchange before 4pm!

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                        Speaking of bank has anyone seen the self checkers for check deposits?
                        I just put in 5 checks idk why they did this.
                        Any Bank ATM can deposit checks for you and credit you the next day or give you partial funds at that moment as courtesy. If you're talking about the new ATM's that Chase and BOFA came out with, they can do that also along with many other things that only tellers used to be able to do for you only too like cash checks, different denominations, cashier's checks, transfers, credit card payments, and whatnot. It's extremely convenient and getting all the old farts pissed at the same time. Hurr durr technology gizmos no u do it for me im a veteran.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          Who do you bank with? Some banks its very limited, if at all. Typically they send it to Travelex to deal with the exchange... and charge you a fee for doing it. Might as well cut out the middleman and go straight to them. Contact travelex and see what the exchange rate is and then compare it with what the bank will give you.

Worst case, they usually have exchange offices in airports, but I think their rates are also different. Either way, you're losing some money haha
                          Originally posted by ak- View Post
                          The reason the other bank couldn't do it is because:
                          1. You didn't have an account there. You have to have an account for them to use as recourse in case the foreign money is bogus and they have to debit you for it.

If you had an account:
                          2. You could of stepped in after the system cutoff time.
                          Foreign exchange rates are constantly changing and there is a period of time where the system where the bank gets the rate from closes, so they can't pull up the exact rate and/or do not want to be held liable for giving you a wrong exchange rate.

3. You went in on a Saturday. The exchange rate system at the bank could of been closed (non business day).

Go to your bank and try to do the exchange before 4pm!
                          BofA. I went there at around 11AM or noon on a Wednesday or Friday (my only days off) and they went in and checked the bill while they had me sit then came back and were like, "we can't exchange this at this time, do you happen to know what it's worth? If it's only like $5 or $10 it may not be worth it." So I figured it might have just been that branch I went to. I'll check my local BofA this time and see if they can do it. It does say on the website they do exchanges so hopefully.

Travelex doesn't exchange Argentine Peso so I'm a bit worried, or at least that's what I read. And the only other place around me is LAExchange and they want to give me half of what the bill is worth. So I'm really hoping this BofA can do it.

my feedback thread

Comment

You have an account there? That's silly if they don't give you a reason and there was no point of sending you to sit down, unless they are clueless on what to do.
                            What they do is pull up a reference of all the currency in Argentina to compare authenticity and then simply deposit it and withdraw it back out your account to give you the cash.
                            Takes no less than 5 minutes.

Lol they aren't one to say "it's not worth it if it's $5-$10".

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Yeah I do. BofA has been my home bank for like 15 years. I feel like they didn't know what they were doing lol. She literally told me to go see how much it's worth because it may not be worth it if it's not worth anything. I literally LOLed at her and left.

my feedback thread

Comment

It is a giant PIA to exchange Argentinian Pesos, thats why they said they cannot do it, and why she said if it was only 5 or 10 bucks its not worth it.

I recently had family travel to Argentina and when you exchange into Pesos there they very clearly state, keep your exchange receipt otherwise you will not be able to exchange back to dollars while still in Argentina and wont be able to at all outside of Argentina.

By rule apparently in the states they are allowed to exchange it IF you have the original receipt, but most places will not regardless.

Why do you have pesos anyway?

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
                                Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Comment

Working...
                                X