This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
    The WAR Room doesn't exist anymore, but isn't necessary to tune a chip. So that's false.
    You need a base tune for the WAR chip, where are you gonna get it for your specific application if you can't download it from the company that made it and their website...?

This makes no sense? You can tune it yourself any time, if you know how to tune. If you don't, you need to have it done by someone who does. Pretty simple.
    What I meant is if you don't have a base tune for your application you're basically guessing. For the $660 it costs plus the cost of a tune, it would be better dollar spent to horsepower out to buy a megasquirt unit, built by whodwho for example for $600 if you want to tune it yourself.

I disagree. There is no risk involved...
    read threads: It seems some guys get lucky and find somebody to help them and some dont. I'll believe it when I see somebody that bought it and had success. Until then, I am skeptical.

318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
      You need a base tune for the WAR chip, where are you gonna get it for your specific application if you can't download it from the company that made it and their website...?
      The chip ships with a base-tune from Miller if you ask, or you can make your own with the software. No war room required. If you're serious about it but the tune is the only thing holding you back, contact AR Design. Miller writes great base-maps, critter's car put down ~490whp on a 250k-mile S50 with a base-tune from them at about 12 psi, before his head lifted due to it being warped. Kevin's S52 OBDI with full bolt-ons runs great with a base-tune I got from them.

What I meant is if you don't have a base tune for your application you're basically guessing. For the $660 it costs plus the cost of a tune, it would be better dollar spent to horsepower out to buy a megasquirt unit, built by whodwho for example for $600 if you want to tune it yourself.
      Megasquirt is pretty simple, but significantly more complex than a WAR chip... Also, it leaves you without the reliability of the OEM ECU. The WAR chip is simply allowing you to change ignition timing and a few other variables. Megasquirt has many more variables to complicate things, and doesn't come with a MAF to replace the AFM (the real problem here).

read threads: It seems some guys get lucky and find somebody to help them and some dont. I'll believe it when I see somebody that bought it and had success. Until then, I am skeptical.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=223321
      I've had success with all the 24V cars I've done, and I'll be doing a WAR+4in Intake+MAF conversion on my E30 once I find the time. I don't want to be rude, but the guys who started the threads you linked seem to be very clueless in the first place.
      Last edited by Roland H; 03-25-2012, 02:54 PM.

Comment

yeah, I'm not gonna spend ~$500 on 15 more hp. That money can go much further on a rally car put towards cage, suspension, tires etc. If I eventually want more power I will strike up the search again for an S50.

Also, the side exhaust isn't for looks, but for weight loss and simplicity. In addition, the pipe exiting the drivers side helps me hear what the engine is doing over the other sounds in the cabin on the rally track without making me glance at the tach (which will be impossible to read anyway with my eyeballs vibrating in my skull).

Cat delete would also be for weight loss, hence using a baffled muffler (like the flowmaster 40 that I have) which can generate the back pressure needed for that low end torque.

Ground clearance is not a problem. You should see my E30. Stock springs, Billy sports, and all unneccesaries gutted out. The billies make the suspension surprisingly stiff actually.

Comment

Any one need a weld in cage for their e36? I need to get rid of mine.
          Eastwood fender roller available for rent in Boulder. PM ME

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
            yeah, I'm not gonna spend ~$500 on 15 more hp. That money can go much further on a rally car put towards cage, suspension, tires etc. If I eventually want more power I will strike up the search again for an S50.

Also, the side exhaust isn't for looks, but for weight loss and simplicity. In addition, the pipe exiting the drivers side helps me hear what the engine is doing over the other sounds in the cabin on the rally track without making me glance at the tach (which will be impossible to read anyway with my eyeballs vibrating in my skull).

Cat delete would also be for weight loss, hence using a baffled muffler (like the flowmaster 40 that I have) which can generate the back pressure needed for that low end torque.
            Eh, I'd take the extra 5-10lbs to not look like a ricer, but that's me. The $/hp ratio on the WAR chip doesn't make a whole lot of sense for an M20. Just run stock and put something better in there once it esplodez.
            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
              Eh, I'd take the extra 5-10lbs to not look like a ricer, but that's me. The $/hp ratio on the WAR chip doesn't make a whole lot of sense for an M20. Just run stock and put something better in there once it esplodez.
              The war chip + maf conversion actually makes the M20 liveable though. Moar torques, actual throttle response, and more hp. It's a win-win situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                I'm not worried that my car will be misconstrued as a ricer, that's for sure.

The war chip + maf conversion actually makes the M20 liveable though. Moar torques, actual throttle response, and more hp. It's a win-win situation.
                I dunno if it's so much win-win if you factor in cost.

Comment

No, side exhaust with straight pipes on a car that hasn't been built for a specific racing class is the very definition of ricey.
                  2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                  98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Absolutely true. For the cost it's a great deal.
                    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

It's a good value. I realize that this is r3v and most of you are more... "frugal" than I am, but what you get for what you spend is a damn good deal.

Comment

Interesting. I looked at the WAR + MAF conversion when I first got my E30. Maybe I'll reconsider when I have the extra $$

Linky to the first real adventure in the TR6

You don’t drive an old British car; you go “motoring” in them. It’s a lot like flying in that you have an underlying paranoia about not IF,...
                        JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

I'm not sure I understand this argument. What is a side piped exhaust going to cost you? $300 I'm guessing? That's over 1/2 the price of the miller chip.

If it's not $300, the price is irrelevant, Your spending money on loosing HP instead of keeping the torques up and gaining more hp with the miller goodies.

How was the track day? the weather here was perfect
                          My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                            I'm not sure I understand this argument. What is a side piped exhaust going to cost you? $300 I'm guessing? That's over 1/2 the price of the miller chip.

If it's not $300, the price is irrelevant, Your spending money on loosing HP instead of keeping the torques up and gaining more hp with the miller goodies.

Exactly. The straight pipe side exit will have WAY worse results than the miller combo. The weight savings is NOT worth the huge amount of Fail.

Track day was EPIC. Working on vids now.
                            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                              true. How was the track day?

I was racing on a track, it just happened to be on one of those 400m ones :-P
                              318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Someone posted this on Facebook, or liked it or some shit, but I saved it, thought it was funny.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
                                Originally posted by DTM190
                                "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Working...
                                X