Timing Belt Party / Check - In

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Roland H
    replied
    Originally posted by blefevre
    If it comes back with a S52 why not, heh.
    S52 and no suspension sound fair?

    Leave a comment:


  • Roland H
    replied
    Originally posted by Bimmerman325i
    Will do. I need to survive school through thursday, then the V12 research begins in earnest.



    Agreed. I don't want to deal with 5 ECUs.



    Yea, +15-25hp or so on a bone stock M70. Without tuning. However, due to the 8.8:1 CR (M73 is 10:1), those gains would be a shitton more if you get high compression pistons. They'd have to be custom, but VAC I'm sure can figure that out.

    The best cams come from powerplant racing, who do a roller conversion. They are the only option for the M73, and I don't know the cost. The roller conversion is $1500 (on an M70) without cams.

    The M73 would be the best candidate for bolt in power, as it makes 326hp and 361ftlbs stock (torque matters for autocross much more than power), but tuning options are just about none. I think those heads flow better than the M70's.

    I could go on, but i have to run to thermo. I'll revisit this after Stats midterm.
    Yeah, I'd *like* to do the M73, but it all depends on costs too... ;)

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimmerman325i
    replied
    Originally posted by Roland H
    I have the rear setup, but it won't work without some serious modifcashun. We would need a 318ti or a z3 rear suspension... Can I borrow your ti Brad?



    $2k for everything you need, and I get the OBDII stuff you won't be using/needing.
    Maybe. Just maybe.....need to figure some things out.

    BEN BUY THIS!

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimmerman325i
    replied
    Originally posted by Roland H
    Interesting. Ask him what was used for ignition. If we have the option of using/retaining sequential ignition, I want to do it.
    Will do. I need to survive school through thursday, then the V12 research begins in earnest.

    Originally posted by Roland H
    For starters thats not a bad idea, however, if we plan to mod the thing, we need something that *we* can tune or get tuned locally for cheap.
    Agreed. I don't want to deal with 5 ECUs.

    Originally posted by Roland H
    Yeah... any info on the shricks for the M70?
    Yea, +15-25hp or so on a bone stock M70. Without tuning. However, due to the 8.8:1 CR (M73 is 10:1), those gains would be a shitton more if you get high compression pistons. They'd have to be custom, but VAC I'm sure can figure that out.

    The best cams come from powerplant racing, who do a roller conversion. They are the only option for the M73, and I don't know the cost. The roller conversion is $1500 (on an M70) without cams.

    The M73 would be the best candidate for bolt in power, as it makes 326hp and 361ftlbs stock (torque matters for autocross much more than power), but tuning options are just about none. I think those heads flow better than the M70's.

    I could go on, but i have to run to thermo. I'll revisit this after Stats midterm.

    Leave a comment:


  • blefevre
    replied
    Originally posted by Roland H
    I have the rear setup, but it won't work without some serious modifcashun. We would need a 318ti or a z3 rear suspension... Can I borrow your ti Brad?
    If it comes back with a S52 why not, heh.

    Leave a comment:


  • Roland H
    replied
    Originally posted by Bimmerman325i
    Roland, do you have the brakes and suspension from the dead M3? Cause....GRM 5 lug would be wicked.?
    I have the rear setup, but it won't work without some serious modifcashun. We would need a 318ti or a z3 rear suspension... Can I borrow your ti Brad?

    Also....i can s52 haz??
    $2k for everything you need, and I get the OBDII stuff you won't be using/needing.

    Leave a comment:


  • Roland H
    replied
    Originally posted by Bimmerman325i
    according to the guy who runs DIYautotune, it's possible with just one Megasquirt. I'll need to call him and make sure that the intarwebz didn't just lie to me, but I'm pretty sure it's simpler than a whole shitload of MSIIs. MSIII might also work..
    Interesting. Ask him what was used for ignition. If we have the option of using/retaining sequential ignition, I want to do it.

    I do have a pinout E30 V12 diagram, so if we have to use the stock engine management that's possible too.
    For starters thats not a bad idea, however, if we plan to mod the thing, we need something that *we* can tune or get tuned locally for cheap.

    Ya that M73 dyno isn't the best comparison, but it's still impressive. For bolt in shenanigans, the M73's hard to beat. Noone makes parts for it though.
    Yeah... any info on the shricks for the M70?

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimmerman325i
    replied
    Roland, do you have the brakes and suspension from the dead M3? Cause....GRM 5 lug would be wicked.

    Also....i can s52 haz?

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimmerman325i
    replied
    Originally posted by Roland H
    Megasquirt + V12 will be three bitches and a half. We'd have to run 2 EDIS-6 systems (we can use one trigger wheel though), as well as two MSII ECUs. At that price point, we need to evaluate alternatives. I'm not sure if the M70 has a cam position sensor, but I'm pretty sure that the M73 does, which means we can run fully sequential ignition if so desired...
    according to the guy who runs DIYautotune, it's possible with just one Megasquirt. I'll need to call him and make sure that the intarwebz didn't just lie to me, but I'm pretty sure it's simpler than a whole shitload of MSIIs. MSIII might also work.

    I do have a pinout E30 V12 diagram, so if we have to use the stock engine management that's possible too.

    Ya that M73 dyno isn't the best comparison, but it's still impressive. For bolt in shenanigans, the M73's hard to beat. Noone makes parts for it though.

    Leave a comment:


  • Roland H
    replied
    Originally posted by blefevre
    I tried to get a 318is the other day but it sold right away, otherwise you would only have one S52. :)
    Ah, that's a travesty. Let me know if you find another. ;)

    Leave a comment:


  • Roland H
    replied
    Eff that, mount it in back seat. Mid-engined-V12-E30 FTMFW.

    Leave a comment:


  • blefevre
    replied
    Originally posted by Roland H
    Dude, eff that. I have two S52s FS, I'll cut you a deal. ;)
    I tried to get a 318is the other day but it sold right away, otherwise you would only have one S52. :)

    Leave a comment:


  • clarkkey594
    replied
    Originally posted by bimmerman325i
    quad side straight pipe exhaust.
    brilliant!!!!!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Roland H
    replied
    Originally posted by Bimmerman325i
    I've heard it's only 40 lbs heavier since it's aluminum block and heads, but the only data I can find online says it's as heavy as a euro S50, so 330lbs. Dunno which to believe honestly, this is for complete motor with ancillaries.

    The M73 can't be cammed (like it matters for this build) but is a good bit lighter than an M70 and has 326 hp and 361 ftlbs. 5.4L 361 ft-lbs!!!!!

    M70: 300/326 hp/ft-lbs, max stock rpm 6400. heavier, but can be Schrick'd.
    M73: 326/361 hp/ft-lbs, max stock rpm 6400. Lighter, but less tuning potential

    Megasquirt either to 7000 + custom fabbed long tube headers = winnnnn!

    Dyno of six speed converted M73:

    and a vid of a cammed ITB M70 in an Ultima:


    ^ours wouldn't sound like that....but goddamn.
    The dyno is of an M73 with extrude honed manifolds and BBTBs IIRC.

    Originally posted by blefevre
    Yeah, I can't wait for me MM pistons. Higher CR, valve pockets, bored and longer stroke = happy time.
    Dude, eff that. I have two S52s FS, I'll cut you a deal. ;)

    Originally posted by blefevre
    With turbos too!

    yes pls....

    Megasquirt + V12 will be three bitches and a half. We'd have to run 2 EDIS-6 systems (we can use one trigger wheel though), as well as two MSII ECUs. At that price point, we need to evaluate alternatives. I'm not sure if the M70 has a cam position sensor, but I'm pretty sure that the M73 does, which means we can run fully sequential ignition if so desired...

    Leave a comment:


  • Bimmerman325i
    replied
    Originally posted by clarkkey594
    Don't forget to strait pipe it.
    quad side straight pipe exhaust.

    Leave a comment:

Working...