Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rennsport View Post
    Disagree.

Cooling issues: M30 has none, mine is turbo'ed and can run full 25min track sessions without a fan, only time it creeps is sitting at an idle after awhile. Then I flip a switch on my stock AC fan and it cools right off, even in 100 degree weather. I'm also not worried about my head warping or cracking when it does get a little hot.

Water pump isn't made out of plastic

Stock internals can handle tons of boost - see Good&Tight

Maintenance = regular oil changes, no brittle plastic to break such as intake manifold, oil filter cap, etc.

Big 6 ftw
    Your comparing bone stock to bone stock? My intake isnt brittle, oil caps are same as m30s, I have the ease of a drop in filter, water pump is metal, I sit.in 100 degree weather running ac for 4-5 hours a day. No issues

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

I have an M30 I'm planning on swapping onto my e30.

out dated sig is out dated

Comment

I'm still on the fence about M30 Vs M5x. the 10mpg thing kinda spooks me though. I'm getting 25 out of my seta/eta/bastard now, and I'd like to stay in the 20's if possible, considering my other vehicle is a f150.....
        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
          Your comparing bone stock to bone stock? My intake isnt brittle, oil caps are same as m30s, I have the ease of a drop in filter, water pump is metal, I sit.in 100 degree weather running ac for 4-5 hours a day. No issues
          Yup this S52 didn't come with a plastic thermostat housing/oil filter or a plastic waterpump. 24v wins for DD'ablility also performance parts are much more available for 24v motors, but M30 is still a badass budget swap out of the box.

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
          MPG is the only downside IMO, According to several weight threads, the m30 engine isnt much heavier than anyone else, but weight is weight. and my next swap .. ya! ill wait till the payments is down to say. but the price and mileage was WAY to good to pass up.
          M20 = 180.3 kg = 397.49 lbs

M20 + G260 transmission = 497lbs

M52B28 = 148.85 kg = 328.16 lbs

M30 + G260 transmission = 540lbs

So ~60-100lbs heavier? Not extremely huge but a bad place for an extra 100lbs.. Still a massive improvement over the M20

SOURCE
          Last edited by EN318isPDX; 08-18-2014, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
            M30 is still an awesome motor but its not the best swap for an E30 IMHO ofc. Its heavy but sounds amazing.. If you want good power and torque on a tight budget M30 is the way to go.. But the MPG are gonna rape you

I was referring to late model oil filter cap, which is plastic with the dildo thing that can break which leads to oil pressure issues.

M30 gas mileage does not suck, I dd'ed my m30 swap (motor all stock) and did not have a considerable drop in fuel mileage, sure they use more when your romping on it (obviously, larger displacement.) Gearing can be changed also to minimize mpg loss, and it has plenty of torque to overcome low gear ratios.

Without AC components is not really all that much heaver and only noticeable on track/autox, which is able to be compromised with suspension tuning/corner balancing.
            m106 1990 e30
            e36 daily
            e32 cruiser

Comment

I love my S50.

I liked it so well I bought another one to boost.
              Last edited by e30austin; 08-18-2014, 01:16 PM.
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Just my family experience:

Mom's e36 (m52) - 2 engines in 2 years due to overheating and cracking the head, now onto the third engine and the car is up for sale.
                Mom's e34 (m30) 4 years no issues
                Sister's e28 (m30) 2 years no issues
                Dad's e28 (m30) since new - no issues
                My e28 (m30) 3 years no issues
                My e30 (m30) 6 years no issues
                My e36 (m44) 2 years, head gasket

These are only related to engine - plenty of other issues with the cars lol
                m106 1990 e30
                e36 daily
                e32 cruiser

Comment

Mom's e36 (m52) - 2 engines in 2 years due to overheating and cracking the head, now onto the third engine and the car is up for sale.

This makes you look pretty bias! LOL

Comment

I love my m30's
                    m106 1990 e30
                    e36 daily
                    e32 cruiser

Comment

I love my m30's
                      I cannot blame you! What sorta MPG you get with the m106?

Comment

worse than terrible. Simply because I'm running 70lb injectors with a bosch 044 pump.
                        m106 1990 e30
                        e36 daily
                        e32 cruiser

Comment

This isnt really data you would logically go off of. Both of the dohc motors could of have pre existing issues. You can really only compare brand new vs brand new. Besides the motors being built differntly, they operate differently. Different designers, builders etc. Parts likes radiators differ etc.

Comment

Maybe im 24v biased, but ive only known people to blow m20s ( watson ) and m30s ( my friend alex, and tigran) since ive been into bmws. Never heard of someone grenading a 24v

Comment

The s52 I sold ian should be a testament to the reliability of 24vs even when not taken care of.
                              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                              willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                                The s52 I sold ian should be a testament to the reliability of 24vs even when not taken care of.
                                This is true. No idea how this motor was still functional

Comment

Working...
                                X