• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adam.nonis
    replied
    PNW Chit Chat thread

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
    Is aluminum pipe thickness similar to a stainless pipe? Or ️would stainless be thinner wall?

Edit:
    I'd imagine most of the ️Savings would be in the resonators, muffler and headers themselves, not the actual pipes

The aluminum I used was .070” thick (1.8mm intercooler piping kits) and stainless is usually 16g (.0625”) or, more commonly, 18g (.05”)

I “think” I parsed out the weight differences between each of the components in my build thread. I also used stainless from the OEM manifold flanges to the back of the trans, and aluminum from there back (including resonator and muffler).

Leave a comment:

• DER E30
    replied
    Is aluminum pipe thickness similar to a stainless pipe? Or ️would stainless be thinner wall?

Edit:
    I'd imagine most of the ️Savings would be in the resonators, muffler and headers themselves, not the actual pipes

Leave a comment:

• Metallated
    replied
    Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
    Anyone have an idea of how much the weight difference would be between Al and stainless? If durability isn't an issue running poly mounts, then it's pretty much settled.
    Sounds like about 30 pounds based on Adam's post, using stock headers. Probably less if you go k24 and find a light pair of headers.
    Last edited by Metallated; 12-07-2018, 12:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ahrensNW
    replied
    Overall this car has lost most of the weight I can easily remove. It will have a riveted sunroof panel, it's completely stripped aside from the dash, no insulation to be found, I have a pc680 in the rear, no power steering. and a manual brake box. Transmission is a g260, further bringing the weight down. For now, the m52 swap will be a place saver until the k24 swap details are hammered out.
    I'll be ordering a set of konig dekagram, 12.3 lbs in 15x8 so I should be good there. I'll still have my mtechnicas for all the stanz when I want it.

Anyone have an idea of how much the weight difference would be between Al and stainless? If durability isn't an issue running poly mounts, then it's pretty much settled.

Leave a comment:

• adam.nonis
    replied
    Not trying to start any arguments. Just saying it can be done, and with proper prior planning, longevity shouldn’t be an issue. Merits of where you save weight can be left up to everyone else.

Have a great day

Leave a comment:

• spiDmang
    replied
    Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
    My whole exhaust (from the trans back, including resonator and muffler) weighs 15 lbs. from the OEM header flanges to the tip its 28.5 lbs. down from 60.5 lbs.
    I can vouch for this thing. Adam's work is beyond amazing.

Hank, get in touch with Adam. He can build you what you need.

Leave a comment:

• Nader393
    replied
    Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
    Isolate and support and it’ll be fine. I’m only eight months in, but not one single issue.
    Maybe, if you're doing it yourself and you know what you're doing. I wouldn't trust the local muffler shops to get it right. I've had multiple disappointments with exhaust projects on several of my vehicles. And that's just basic stuff.

Aluminum exhaust should be the last consideration for weight savings. I'd focus on unsprung and rotational weight first, then weight up high. Exhaust is low and center, not worth it. When (not if) an Al exhaust fails, it's a hassle. Noise, fumes, jacking up the car to reach it, etc.

Leave a comment:

• ncsubowen
    replied
    I talked to toes and he might have one for me, I'll drop you a PM if I need it.

I've been digging into this 24v swap I have and it's actually not gonna take much to get it running. I only need to source that throttle body and have someone fab up an exhaust.

Any recommendations? I'm trying to keep this car as light as possible. Right down to the exhaust. How much should I expect to pay for an aluminum exhaust post header
    i'd expect a full exhaust to run you no less than $1200 especially if you're going aluminum - do they even make aluminum exhaust? i figured it was all stainless

Leave a comment:

• adam.nonis
    replied
    I'm trying to keep this car as light as possible. Right down to the exhaust.

My whole exhaust (from the trans back, including resonator and muffler) weighs 15 lbs. from the OEM header flanges to the tip its 28.5 lbs. down from 60.5 lbs.

Leave a comment:

• adam.nonis
    replied
    Originally posted by Nader393 View Post
    It's not how much you pay, but how many times you'll pay it.

Isolate and support and it’ll be fine. I’m only eight months in, but not one single issue.

Leave a comment:

• ahrensNW
    replied
    Originally posted by Nader393 View Post
    Are you speaking in terms of durability? It makes sense that it'd be a bit more brittle.

Leave a comment:

• Nader393
    replied
    ...How much should I expect to pay for an aluminum exhaust post header

Leave a comment:

• ahrensNW
    replied
    Originally posted by e30austin View Post
    Me
    I talked to toes and he might have one for me, I'll drop you a PM if I need it.

I've been digging into this 24v swap I have and it's actually not gonna take much to get it running. I only need to source that throttle body and have someone fab up an exhaust.

Any recommendations? I'm trying to keep this car as light as possible. Right down to the exhaust. How much should I expect to pay for an aluminum exhaust post header

Leave a comment:

• MortyCrock
    replied
    Originally posted by e30austin View Post
    Guess what, Morgie Pie? Nobody asked you.

KTHXBI

[emoji8]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• e30austin
    replied
    Originally posted by MortyCrock View Post
    Of course you do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guess what, Morgie Pie? Nobody asked you.

KTHXBI

Leave a comment:

Working...
X