Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nader393
    replied
    Mine has the G50, but owners of the 915 love them when they're set up correctly. Cable actuated, so start there and see if there's slack that needs to be tightened.

I recently drove a friend's 914, outwardly beautiful, he paid top dollar for it on BaT, and it was awful. I love Porsches, but when they're not sorted, they suck. Controls (steering, brakes, clutch) can have heavy actuation, vague engagement (shifting), and generally depressing sloppiness that would horrify the Porsche engineers and factory floor workers who originally built these things. Like the e30 I bought from you, some TLC goes a long way to improving the driving experience.

Leave a comment:

• ahrensNW
    replied
    I really just want to be able to drive this car hard, and the current 2.7/915 really feel terrible. First is a mess.

I do think I might just be spoiled by how hard you can beat on bmw ZFs and getrags

Leave a comment:

• ncsubowen
    replied
    Those turbo beetles are actually a lot of fun

Leave a comment:

• kid325e
    replied
    I really want to build a Beetle, then an Aircooled Porsche - not as a "forever" cars; just feel like it'd be worth the trouble. I could be crazy though.

Leave a comment:

• djjerme
    replied
    I feel like I must be the outlier, I have never wanted or found Porsche’s exciting or wanted one.

To me, they just look like a VW Bug with a bunch of aero. Never did anything for me; yah, I get the history and what not, but the cars never spoke to me. I’ve driven a few on the track and was not overly bowled over, and I’ve seen some nicely setup ones, but just not my bag I guess.

But then again, I like station wagons/Tourings. So maybe that’s why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• TobyB
    replied
    Pacific Northwest does NOT, EMPHATICALLY, include California.

Party foul!

t

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    Ok, I thought in CA at least the emissions testers visually check all the air pumps and original junk on engines. How can they know every engine out there by year? Anyway.

I have a friend here with a '67 911 he's trying to get up to speed. He talks about the crazy Porsche prices for very basic stuff.

Leave a comment:

• ahrensNW
    replied
    ^wut r those lmao

We can do pretty much whatever we want to our cars emission wise. God, theres not a chance in hell my 318is would pass.

I really need to do some more research on the whole 911 thing. The parts premium on them is stupid compared to e30s. Same product will always be marked up 50% more..

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    Do you guys have to keep the original emissions equip in place for inspections?

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Aircooled cars also respond really well to exhaust upgrades, so do that and even if it’s still not a monster it will sound really good and you can use both the carbs and exhaust when you build or source a 3L

It’s probably better that you have a slow one now because you can learn how to drive it without getting yourself into too much trouble

Leave a comment:

• ahrensNW
    replied
    ^that's pretty much what I'm thinking as well. This car is not and will never be a show car, its driver quality.

The motor honestly seems pretty healthy, so as long as the compression numbers are all good I'm sure I can get a nice chunk of change for it. Even 77 2.7 core motors are going for a stupid amount now.

Really not too sure what I want to do with it. I really just want a reliable 911 that I can cruise in. Maybe the easiest way to get around that is just AAA lmao

Leave a comment:

• LateFan
    replied
    Yep. As far as I know, the big bumper ‘74, 5, 6 had the 2.7. It is NOT the badass Carrera 2.7 from the ‘73 - completely different motor. It had thermal reactor exhaust for emissions, so it had heat problems, and it had problems with head studs pulling out of the block. But...most all of these had those issues fixed long ago. As Nader says, it originally had the 3.0 SC motor, which was a good one. So someone blew it up and found a used 2.7 or some similar story.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    PNW Chit Chat thread

Fork out like $3k and put some carbs on it. That might wake it up a little... also I’ve wanted a Porsche forever but between my E30 and my Datsun I’m kinda liking basic front engine, RWD inline motors haha

Leave a comment:

• Nader393
    replied
    Ugh, those engines weren't Porsche's best effort. Weird putting that in an SC.

The good news is that you make any air-cooled 911 into an absolute weapon. Or just more fun. The cars are easy to work on and parts from later years swap in and out, but they're expensive.

There's a wealth of info out there by guys who've made the improvements to the 2.7. Look into it. OTOH, the "middies" are escalating in value, so there might be a chance you could sell the engine and reinstall the correct 3.0 without losing much in the process. Engine swaps in 911s are relatively easy.

Leave a comment:

• ahrensNW
    replied
    It is most definitely NOT mfi, it's a 77 2.7s engine (6370392)

Basically the whole car is a wet hot mess.

Probably the reason I dont have too fond of feelings for it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X