PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twelvizm View Post
    The M3 is a good car, as they bother to take the time to build it, and reinforce it properly.

If you are thinking daily, an M car isn't the best choice. Buy one for a weekend track car. Daily means cheap, easy to fix, gets good MPG, and can get beat up without you caring much. It's liberating not to daily drive a car you care about that much. Think VW, Honda, Toyota. Or if the wallet can support it, a new 2014 320i.

The M would ultimately turn into another project.
    WTF are you talking about?!? An E36 M is exactly all of those things; reliable, good mpg, cheap and super easy to work on, and there's no reason to fear about dd'ing it as they made zillions of them and replacement OEM and aftermarket parts are plentiful and cheap to come by, and most important is its a fun car to drive. If I didn't hate e36's so much, I'd be dd'ing one as I couldn't think of a better daily.

... Instead, I dd a one of less than 4k made, hand built, V8, that is expensive to replace parts on, averages between 14-18 mpg (city) depending on how heavy my foot is, has very little aftermarket parts available, high insurance rates, and gets plenty of dings in public parking lots. But I'd rather daily something cool and pay more for it than get a Honda or Toyota and be in another bland and dissapointing car on the road.
    Last edited by Badwayz; 04-23-2014, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Am I the only one here who dd my e30?

I mean, I dig the e36 m3 but the e30 is way cooler imo.
      If I wanted good mpg, I would drive the geo...
      sigpic
      Currently without an e30. Will probably die soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
        I broke something again. I think it's csb again, could be half shaft or U joint. The car car vibrates upon take off now.

Anybody make a performance csb? I've broke 3 in the last year in a half.

I may rape my car but that shit should last more than 6 months on a stock eta.
        If you're on your third one, there's something else going on. You either need a new driveline or quibo. The CSB should last awhile, something is wearing it out prematurely, and it's not likely to be your driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Badwayz View Post
          WTF are you talking about?!? An E36 M is exactly all of those things; reliable, good mpg, cheap and super easy to work on, and there's no reason to fear about dd'ing it as they made zillions of them and replacement OEM and aftermarket parts are plentiful and cheap to come by, and most important is its a fun car to drive. If I didn't hate e36's so much, I'd be dd'ing one as I couldn't think of a better daily.

... Instead, I dd a one of less than 4k made, hand built, V8, that is expensive to replace parts on, averages between 14-18 mpg (city) depending on how heavy my foot is, has very little aftermarket parts available, high insurance rates, and gets plenty of dings in public parking lots. But I'd rather daily something cool and pay more for it than get a Honda or Toyota and be in another bland and dissapointing car on the road.
          It's all about the right tool for the job. If you want to use a Ming case to bang in a nail, so be it. But for slugging through rush hour traffic does it really matter how "fun" your car is? Not really. During my commute in rush hour traffic to and from Downtown to outer SE Portland I average a speed of 20 mph. The stop and go is so bad that I wish I had an automatic 318i. It now makes sense to me why most people drive shitty FWD automatics cars, because they are the perfect commuter.

And not only are they better suited to the mundane task of commuting, they're cars that enthusiasts don't give a shit about. While your putting all that wear, potential for accidents, and getting goo gas mileage, your nice fancy fun car can be reserved for evenings and weekends. Times where you can actually enjoy the fun car's performance and handling that would otherwise be wasted moving 3 car lengths at a time on the freeway during rush hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
            I broke something again. I think it's csb again, could be half shaft or U joint. The car car vibrates upon take off now.

Anybody make a performance csb? I've broke 3 in the last year in a half.

I may rape my car but that shit should last more than 6 months on a stock eta.
            Yeah your driveshaft is definitely bad and it's killing your CSB. And your giubo is probably broken too.

It's all about the right tool for the job. If you want to use a Ming case to bang in a nail, so be it. But for slugging through rush hour traffic does it really matter how "fun" your car is? Not really. During my commute in rush hour traffic to and from Downtown to outer SE Portland I average a speed of 20 mph. The stop and go is so bad that I wish I had an automatic 318i. It now makes sense to me why most people drive shitty FWD automatics cars, because they are the perfect commuter.

And not only are they better suited to the mundane task of commuting, they're cars that enthusiasts don't give a shit about. While your putting all that wear, potential for accidents, and getting goo gas mileage, your nice fancy fun car can be reserved for evenings and weekends. Times where you can actually enjoy the fun car's performance and handling that would otherwise be wasted moving 3 car lengths at a time on the freeway during rush hour.
            Automatic $4k m3 saloon. Problem solved.
            -Peter
            '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
            '91 318is slicktop project
            '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
            '00 Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by Savagefurai View Post

I DD mine. I very a major love hate relationship with it.
              "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

I DD my E30 for 4 straight years until I blew it up in 2012. Now it's an ongoing project. But every time I take it around the block, it makes me really miss driving it all of the time. But the E39 is a nice work commuter and I don't have to worry about anything with it.
                sigpic
                1990 Brilliantrot 325i (Always a project)
                2015 Alpine 320xi (Daily)

Comment

This ^. I drive a FWD Ford Escape everyday. Left at 6am yesterday for meetings in Renton, got home around 7 last night, and felt pretty damn good. If I'd been in the E30 for that drive I'd be tired and really pissed about spending a few hours dipping a clutch in stop and go...
                  sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

I dd the shit out of my E30

Comment

I daily drove my red car for 2+ years and 60k miles. If was fun, but I sure wouldn't mind an E39 530i sport auto to daily drive (miss my old one.) I won't daily drive my silver car. Fresh paint + daily = no no

With that said, I'm looking for another E34 540i/6 for a daily...
                      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I have 3 "Cars"
                        2005 Toyota Matrix XRS
                        2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport
                        1987 BMW 325e

I rotate them, I drive the BMW one week, then the toyota, then the BMW again, then the Jeep, then I start over.

So, Yeah, I DD my E30, love that car.
                        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
                          I dd the shit out of my E30
                          THis.
                          Originally posted by Turf1600 View Post
                          I DD mine. I very a major love hate relationship with it.
                          Also this!

I want a quieter car for DD on the freeway, everywhere else I love it...
                          -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                          08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                          318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                          '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                          Originally posted by roguetoaster
                          Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

I DD one of my e30's. The other one sits in the garage until its nice out or a track day.
                            m106 1990 e30
                            e36 daily
                            e32 cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by Rennsport View Post
                              I DD one of my e30's. The other one sits in the garage until its nice out or a track day.
                              I couldn't imagine driving your turbo car in the rain.
                              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

So the eta is the garage queen and the big six turbo beast is the DD right? ;)
                                -Peter
                                '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
                                '91 318is slicktop project
                                '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
                                '00 Tundra

Comment

Working...
                                X