Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Ocean is no joke, glad you got back.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

It's scary because its a "close yet far" feeling. evening when you can touch the bottom, if you're anything above mid chest height, that water will take you off your feet and drag your ass.

My biggest scare of my life was perch fishing at dusk in fishing waders, It was incoming tide and the current had made a small spit of land with water in between the beach and the ocean, so it made a pool essentially.. Crab are known for getting stuck there so I waded into the water and it was about waist deep, fairly deep. No crab, so I climb out of the hole and walk towards the ocean and started fishing in about thigh deep water.

I didn't realize that I had kept backing up as the tide was raising, I was on the fish and focused. I didn't realize it was dark behind me until I saw someone on the beach driving a few miles down.. I then looked around realized, it was pretty dark.. Okay lets go, I secure my hook and go.

I turned around and took about 10 steps and forgot completely about that tide pool that I walked through for crab and stepped right into it, fishing pole, gear weight, and a belt of fish took me under quicker than SHIT! instantly feeling all the air bubbles escape my suit and hit me in the chin. This pool that was waist deep when I went in had gained another 3 feet from incoming tide when I walked back. Instinct say get the waders off, but pressure keeps them wrapped around your legs, until you kick enough to work the air bubbles out and fill your feet with water..

only thing that kept me alive was a quick release belt, and the fact that I could kick off the bottom and surface for air. (had to do it twice)

No thinking involved when that whole ordeal is going down, just human trying to survive.

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
        I got carried out in a riptide in Indonesia a month ago. One second I was jumping in the waves, the next I turned around and realized that I was really far away. I got on my back, started kicking as much as I could and after getting pretty exhausted looked back to see that I was just as far as I'd been when I started. The waves kept crashing over me and I realized that I was probably going to die. Made my peace and just kept swimming.

Somehow I made it to shore and couldn't support my own weight while lumbering out of the water. Completely horrifying.

Comment

I got carried out in a riptide in Indonesia a month ago. One second I was jumping in the waves, the next I turned around and realized that I was really far away. I got on my back, started kicking as much as I could and after getting pretty exhausted looked back to see that I was just as far as I'd been when I started. The waves kept crashing over me and I realized that I was probably going to die. Made my peace and just kept swimming.

Somehow I made it to shore and couldn't support my own weight while lumbering out of the water. Completely horrifying.
          In the same situation, I would've likely freaked out and not helped the situation. Kudos for keeping your cool! I think that's where shit get bad is when you start to freak out.
          clutchCTRL!
          Move with a purpose.
          - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
          - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
          - 2000 323i AT
          2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
            In the same situation, I would've likely freaked out and not helped the situation. Kudos for keeping your cool! I think that's where shit get bad is when you start to freak out.
            I had a buddy with me, I told him we were far out when I noticed and he thought it was fine until he turned around and saw what had happened. He started swimming on his stomach and I told him to get on his back to conserve his energy. He made it in about a minute ahead of me overall, probably would have had a bad time if he wasted more energy on his belly.
            Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
            2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
            2010 Buell XB9SX
            2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
            1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
            1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
            1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
            2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
            2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

^^^ you said it.. telling yourself "you're not fucked, YET." helps.

Comment

318i for $1,500. Don't know him, just found on CL. Said its an '84 with '91 body. Guessing that means facelift, and it drives great but radiator is cracked and starts to overheat after driving 10 mins. I'd take a look, but no way to get it back to Seattle.

sigpic
                Project: 87' 325iS... 325iS
                88 Alpine 325i
                1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Can anyone point me in the right direction - Looking to do some research on Racing Sims and the rigs that play them. Any forum, or website that would at least get me started on the right path. The PC build is a ways out but I really want to figure out which sim I want to play on and build the PC around it. I'm sure this has been covered!

Anyone have experience with Assetto Corsa? Looks good, also iRacing but that's a no brainer.
                  clutchCTRL!
                  Move with a purpose.
                  - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                  - 2000 323i AT
                  2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

My cousin is the President of Force Dynamics, makers of bar-none the best racing simulation hardware int he world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJoi-1g0IzI

Go to their site and you'll see the games that it's compatible with, those are what you should be playing.
                    Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                    2010 Buell XB9SX
                    2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

My cousin is the President of Force Dynamics, makers of bar-none the best racing simulation hardware int he world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJoi-1g0IzI

Go to their site and you'll see the games that it's compatible with, those are what you should be playing.
                      Woah that thing is awesome.. Does it cost as much as a brand new car though?

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
                        ^^^ you said it.. telling yourself "you're not fucked, YET." helps.
                        I grew up on the east coast and these are pretty common in the Atlantic where you can actually swim in the ocean. Over time you memorize this little gem.

sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

Originally posted by ajhostetter View Post
                          I grew up on the east coast and these are pretty common in the Atlantic where you can actually swim in the ocean. Over time you memorize this little gem.

It's a pretty hard concept to memorize.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                            It's a pretty hard concept to memorize.
                            for people in Idaho, no doubt...

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Looks incredible. Wonder what something like that costs! Got me thinking.. People have had to make something like that from the ground up? Hmmmmm
                              clutchCTRL!
                              Move with a purpose.
                              - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                              - 2000 323i AT
                              2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
                                Looks incredible. Wonder what something like that costs! Got me thinking.. People have had to make something like that from the ground up? Hmmmmm
                                Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
                                Woah that thing is awesome.. Does it cost as much as a brand new car though?
                                The 401 has 4-axis and is $65-100k, I believe. The 301 is 3-axis and if they make one it's like $34k. Race car drivers train with them, they're amazingly detailed and accurate. That's why they only work with X games, they need to be the best simulation games possible, down to the cracks in the road.

As for building one from scratch, good luck interfacing with the games and such. There's a reason that they're so niche; it's not easy.

Also, they're really good at making you terrible at racing games. Real drivers are amazing. When you remove all of the motion that comes with real racing on real tracks and collision and whatnot it's easy to race. Smashing into a simulated wall at 100+mph is terrifying and doesn't feel good, even in a sim.
                                Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                                2010 Buell XB9SX
                                2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Working...
                                X