PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
    Always false. Never understate the simplicity and awesome that is a v8 beneath your foot.
    Is LsX an easier swap then M60/62? Cause I think most people just dont have the time or money for the headache that is an M60/2 swap.
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

Comment

I think that any time you start dealing with custom ECU programming and the intrinsically complex nature of a turbo, you may at that point want to optimize towards the tried and true, which is why V8 is so much win.

But if someone already built/programmed the motor, then a clean swap is not too bad.
      Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
      2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
      2010 Buell XB9SX
      2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
      1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
      1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
      1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
      2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
      2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
        I think that any time you start dealing with custom ECU programming and the intrinsically complex nature of a turbo, you may at that point want to optimize towards the tried and true, which is why V8 is so much win.

But if someone already built/programmed the motor, then a clean swap is not too bad.
        Yeah I think the main difficulty with the BMW v8s is having to put the brake booster somewhere else, and also the ECU programming since BMW seems to be so un open to modding ECU's.
        willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
          Welcome to the V8 insanity world. I'm in the process of doing a M60B40 swap myself.
          Awesome. I'd love to see it when you're done. Much easier to understand all the little complexities in person.
          I just plan on tearing into the engine for. Probably won't start the swap till after summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
            Is LsX an easier swap then M60/62? Cause I think most people just dont have the time or money for the headache that is an M60/2 swap.
            I don't know specifically about the swap's difficulty, but LSX because lighter, smaller and more power. I don't think one is "more reliable" than the other really, they each have their own issues.

LSX you can get a plug and play wiring kit.

The LSX 6MT transmissions, the t56 and t56 magnum/TR6060 are both rebuildable with OEM parts from Tremec, which BMW/getrag doesn't do at all... LSX parts are cheaper and more power is easy to get.
            -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
            08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
            318iS, slow build/garage queen...
            '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
            Originally posted by roguetoaster
            Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
              I don't know specifically about the swap's difficulty, but LSX because lighter, smaller and more power. I don't think one is "more reliable" than the other really, they each have their own issues.

LSX you can get a plug and play wiring kit.

The LSX 6MT transmissions, the t56 and t56 magnum/TR6060 are both rebuildable with OEM parts from Tremec, which BMW/getrag doesn't do at all... LSX parts are cheaper and more power is easy to get.
              IIRC you can rebuild some Getrags, but not all of them. And the parts are supposed to be stupidly priced. But yeah, domestic wins for parts.
              willschnitz

Comment

IIRC you can rebuild some Getrags, but not all of them. And the parts are supposed to be stupidly priced. But yeah, domestic wins for parts.
                G420s are not rebuildable. Nobody sells parts for them anymore. When it breaks, throw it away or use it as a neat conversation starter paper weight.
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Anyone in PDX able to take a quick look at this car to see if it's shit or not?

carfax looks clean and shows extensive maintenance at bmw dealer

edit: any shops in that area that i could use for a PPI?
                  Last edited by BraveUlysses; 04-27-2015, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                    Anyone in PDX able to take a quick look at this car to see if it's shit or not?

carfax looks clean and shows extensive maintenance at bmw dealer

edit: any shops in that area that i could use for a PPI?
                    You missing your clown shoe? That looks like a great DD, auto and all.
                    Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

It's a 5 speed actually :)

I'll always miss the M Coupe but at least I sold it for more than what I paid for it. New owner drove it all the way to florida

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                        It's a 5 speed actually :)

I'll always miss the M Coupe but at least I sold it for more than what I paid for it. New owner drove it all the way to florida
                        Hell that would be a great shakedown for any new rig. I thought the ad said auto ... hmmmm. Then you scored!

Comment

The ad does say auto but the pictures say otherwise. I'd use that to screw the price down.

Comment

I though about doing an LSx swap, but for me their was a few factors. First and foremost, I got my M60 for $180 after I returned a trashed M20 for the core. Second, EVERYONE who wants to do a V8 Swap does a LSx, Chevy 350, or Ford 5.slow. Reality is there isn't many BMW powered V8 swaps out there. Also, I think that a BMW V8 in a BMW E30 is the way to go.

These days, their is very few things that need to be custom Fab'd. their is wiring adapters out there, and Garagistic sells pretty much everything else. it's damn near a bolt in option, with the exception of the brakes.
                            Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Yeah but custom shit is so much cooler!
                              clutchCTRL!
                              Move with a purpose.
                              - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                              - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                              - 2000 323i AT
                              2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Don't get me twisted though, if I did V8 it would most likely be a BMW V8..

Northend Kids.. Who's been to Blythe Park in Bothell/Kirkland? I was out there over the weekend and I was thinking it'd be a perfect spot for a get together/bbq. The drive down there is pretty sweet too.. well once you get on the road that leads to the park it's a 2 lane "private" road where I figure one of us could get some good rolling shots as we all roll in..

I'll post pics tonight if nobody has been there? Sorry i'm new to the area, but this park seemed pretty secluded with covered areas for grilling, etc.
                                Last edited by kid325e; 04-27-2015, 05:06 PM.
                                clutchCTRL!
                                Move with a purpose.
                                - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                                - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                                - 2000 323i AT
                                2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Working...
                                X