No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey M20 guys, I have a question for you. My 325i doesn't want to idle when its cold/been sitting, and I am not sure where to start. When it has been sitting overnight and I go to start it in the morning it starts up easily, but will not idle without a little help. After holding the idle up around 1k for a minute or so it will idle fine. And of course as soon as it warms up it is nice and smooth.
    All filters and fluids are fresh, as well as all ignition components. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the injectors leaking overnight? Or if there is a warm up sensor that needs to be replaced. I appreciate any insight you may have

Bahama Beige E23 Project
    Bluebird Bus Conversion
    New Oregon Trail

Comment

Steven, we just installed sunroof wind deflector, it cleaned up so nice!

As far as the m20 Id check the blue coolant temp sensor and make sure its in working order. MEPEH here on r3v rebuilds injectors for around $50 with shipping both ways. He has done good work for me 3 times now. Even replacing the sensor and getting the injectors rebuilt wont set you back more than $75. Id start there.

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
        Yeah but custom shit is so much cooler!
        ^^^ yaaaaaa! .. I agree with that statement, and not because of the whole n54 thing. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
          ^^^ yaaaaaa! .. I agree with that statement, and not because of the whole n54 thing. Lol
          The thing is even with a LSx, 350 or 5.slow, it still damn near bolt in these days also.
          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Anyone who says that LSx are bolt on should try it, absolutely is not the case. Not disrespecting decisions not to do it, but there is still a ton of fab involved, especially if it's not LS1. LS2/3/7/9/etc. really don't have as much in common as you may think, and mating it to OE electrical, fit/fitment of the engine, cooling system, transmission, exhaust, pretty much the whole driveline takes fab work. There wasn't a single piece of the LS1E30 kit that we used without modifying it, not a single one.
            Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
            2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
            2010 Buell XB9SX
            2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
            1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
            1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
            1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
            2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
            2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
              You guys have a good weekend?
              pic from my trip to Vancouver this weekend, love my Yakima setup!!! the roof box I got off facebook used for $20, works great and I dont care if it gets scratched, etc.

and tonight I restored my new tail lights! soooo shiny, going to make the rest of the car look bad

Last edited by 5Toes; 04-27-2015, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Hey even even my m30 wasn't a pnp simply because I decided to drill motor mounts an inch further back to 3.5, my result for driveshaft was so irritating, one was 1 inch too long, and the other the other 1.5 inches too short! point and case, little decisions can make for custom work quickly.

Speaking of spendy things, I'll be making a gamble on an arc asylum s54 tubular subframe to see if it will work for an n54, good news is it doesn't look like the oil pan will need to be welded in order to fit the steering mechanism like on s54 swaps.

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
                The thing is even with a LSx, 350 or 5.slow, it still damn near bolt in these days also.
                Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
                Anyone who says that LSx are bolt on should try it, absolutely is not the case. Not disrespecting decisions not to do it, but there is still a ton of fab involved, especially if it's not LS1. LS2/3/7/9/etc. really don't have as much in common as you may think, and mating it to OE electrical, fit/fitment of the engine, cooling system, transmission, exhaust, pretty much the whole driveline takes fab work. There wasn't a single piece of the LS1E30 kit that we used without modifying it, not a single one.
                Last edited by the imitator; 04-27-2015, 10:05 PM.

Comment

I :heart: LSx. After I finish the truck, my polaris car is getting one.
                  84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                  Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
                    Anyone in PDX able to take a quick look at this car to see if it's shit or not?

carfax looks clean and shows extensive maintenance at bmw dealer

edit: any shops in that area that i could use for a PPI?
                    bump, i need a recommendation for a BMW shop in SE PDX that can do a PPI

Comment

My friend Mike O'Hara (Mike O'Hara's service) is the only person I would trust to touch my cars. 503.287.0739
                      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Here is a very popular Portland shop.

Matrix Integrated; Oregon's premier Repair, Maintenance & Performance workshop for Audi, BMW, Land Rover, Mercedes, MINI, Porsche, Sprinter & VW vehicles.
                        Originally posted by Sonny
                        I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
                          Anyone who says that LSx are bolt on should try it, absolutely is not the case.

There wasn't a single piece of the LS1E30 kit that we used without modifying it, not a single one.
                          Funny, I'd consider an LSX almost bolt in, but that's because my truck literally has EVERYTHING modded, so an LSX in my e30 sounds easy after building a truck around an LS corvette driveline So building mounts and exhaust, steering and whatnot isn't that big of a obstacle to me. But I would need another car to daily because it wouldn't be a "swap in a week" project, because nothing is...

But yeah, nothing is really "bolt in."

The words "universal" or "fits most/all" signal that the whole dang part needs to be cut in 20 pieces and welded back together to fit properly
                          -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                          08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                          318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                          '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                          Originally posted by roguetoaster
                          Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by DER E30 View Post
                            Funny, I'd consider an LSX almost bolt in, but that's because my truck literally has EVERYTHING modded, so an LSX in my e30 sounds easy after building a truck around an LS corvette driveline So building mounts and exhaust, steering and whatnot isn't that big of a obstacle to me. But I would need another car to daily because it wouldn't be a "swap in a week" project, because nothing is...

But yeah, nothing is really "bolt in."

The words "universal" or "fits most/all" signal that the whole dang part needs to be cut in 20 pieces and welded back together to fit properly
                            Well for you instead of bolting the LsX in you kinda just bolted the truck onto the LsX lol.
                            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                            willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                              Well for you instead of bolting the LsX in you kinda just bolted the truck onto the LsX lol.
                              Pretty much What a PITA though, there's a crap load of time in that truck... And still more to go!

I might get my new instrument cluster in it today if I ever get off here and speedhunters and finish reading my auditing chapter Just have to cut a section out of the dash and weld in a filler, then cut the filler out for the cluster I've been dreading that part for a year at least, the dash is near perfect and I can't let it warp. Lots of wet rags around and slow welds...
                              -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                              08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                              318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                              '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                              Originally posted by roguetoaster
                              Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                                My friend Mike O'Hara (Mike O'Hara's service) is the only person I would trust to touch my cars. 503.287.0739
                                I'll have to give him a try. Although, I had my car at Munich Motorworks when I couldn't solve my emissions failure and I was very happy with their service.

Comment

Working...
                                X