PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
    Found a weak point today, with the M60 swap....

I bottomed out yesterday with it, I'm pretty sure it weakened it, and today, when I pinned it to win it in 2nd, POW! Good thing I had another, Standard 2.93 open cover still. about an hour of work, and another 1.5 quarts of RP and I'm back on the road.

I need to take it easy until the picnic. I will be pissed if I break it before then, and can't make it. I have come way too far.

Damn, that's one spectacular failure right there. Sorry to see it, glad you'll be back up and running soon.

I know you said you bottomed out with it earlier, however... this kind of thing starts to happen when you introduce rigidity where there is expected to be vibration dampening. I've experienced this myself a few times with switching to a stock rubber bushing to something that is more rigid - that vibration/movement/shock doesn't simply disappear, it just gets transferred to another part of the system. Lots of times its not enough difference to cause a massive failure, but occasionally it does.

For a street car I've now subscribed to using brand-new OEM factory bushes everywhere. My thought is, if they lasted the first 20+ years, they'll do just fine for my use. I'm no race car driver, though :D
    '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Car is in the shop for alignment and final health check prior to the Leavenworth drive tomorrow!! What a relief it is to finally be in the closing stages of this rebuild project. I can breathe a little easier now, and can let my wallet take a break.

Just in time for the new house....

LOL
      Current daily: 2003 Mitsubishi Evo (Isabelle)
      Gone, but never forgotten: 2017 VW Golf R 6sp (Maria, sold)
      1989 325i 5sp (Lorelei, sold)
      1991 BMW 318is 5sp (Michaela; totaled)
      2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5sp (Selena, parted out)

IG: mitsugal_jenni

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
        welp, you still have 3 weeks before the picnic. I'm sure you could find an s54 e30m in that time. Chop chop.
        Build one in 3 weeks? ok!

Originally posted by ncsubowen View Post
        You made the right call dude. No sense having 4 vehicles around, and the e30 isn't going to get driven with the e46 is around. You can still mob around with the e30 kids ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
        My thoughts exactly. There's never too many cars, but I definitely lack the space to accommodate my wants haha. And i'll definitely still be around. I gotta keep all you kids in check, and help where i can!

Originally posted by e30_world View Post
        Congrats Brad! Nice to be able to move on to the next project. You can buy mine if your really miss it! Haha
        Thanks bro! Definitely...car ADD is a thing, and something will come up that i'll fondle with. But your shit doesnt have one-touch windows ;)

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
        https://youtu.be/XXQW-eHAXtY

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
        fuck yes, Paolo. I still need to see this thing dude!

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
        Damn, that's one spectacular failure right there. Sorry to see it, glad you'll be back up and running soon.

I know you said you bottomed out with it earlier, however... this kind of thing starts to happen when you introduce rigidity where there is expected to be vibration dampening. I've experienced this myself a few times with switching to a stock rubber bushing to something that is more rigid - that vibration/movement/shock doesn't simply disappear, it just gets transferred to another part of the system. Lots of times its not enough difference to cause a massive failure, but occasionally it does.

For a street car I've now subscribed to using brand-new OEM factory bushes everywhere. My thought is, if they lasted the first 20+ years, they'll do just fine for my use. I'm no race car driver, though :D

All of this. I cant stress enough that a majority of the bushings in any E30 (when new) are more than sufficient. Now in terms of V8 power, I'd personally go with the Garagistic secondary diff mount, and if its possible to toss in a OEM bushing in there, I'd do that.

The older I get, the farther I wanna get away from racecar when It's a street car.
        -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
        91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
        08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
        04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
        Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
        Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

It really doesn't exist. ;)

clutchCTRL!
          Move with a purpose.
          - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
          - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
          - 2000 323i AT
          2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

https://youtu.be/XXQW-eHAXtY

Nice work dude!!!
              '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

I was sooooo close to getting my one touches! lol next time.... M3 time and Ar's sound pretty awesome
                F80 M3 Alpine
                E10 Fjord Blue 2002
                E28 Blackish 535i
                E21 Silver 320i
                Disco1 98 4.6
                ~~~~~~
                E30 Cirrus coupe S50 SOLD
                E30 325i SOLD
                E30 Alpine 325i vert Euro spec SOLD
                E30 Alpine coupe 325is SOLD
                sigpic

Comment

sounds like a hardcore version of Cars and Coffee..
                  1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                  2016 Ford Flex
                  2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                    garagistic, diff reinforcement??
                    Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                    That was going to be my suggestion.
                    That's the plan, Going to keep the 2.93 cover, the fins on the M cover was a little lower than the roads in my area can handle.

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post

the 2.93 cover has a good, almost new, stock rubber bushing in it now, I'm going to keep it, I think. and probably do the same bushing for the Garagistic mount also. I may change the subframe mounts, and swing arm mounts out to stock ones eventually also. The motor mounts, and transmission mounts are staying though. :devil:

I was able to get it all put back together and back on the road about 2 hours after it happened. Today I drove it to work. The more I drive this car, the more I love this swap.
                    Last edited by delamaize; 06-09-2016, 04:31 PM.
                    Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Going with a rubber mount would probably help relieve the stress too.

Diff doesnt flex enough to warrant a solid or poly in a street car IMO.
                      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                      willschnitz

Comment

I ran 400wtq through my 2.79 with a delrin bushing. No issues aside from some weird noises during sharp low speed turns (parking lot). The porous casting is probably to blame but a rubber bushing will definitely be more forgiving. Im a strong believer that oem rubber is the best choice even if you track your car occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

But if you don't have all poly bushing how will people know you're still down to raze?
                          Hank Ahrens
                          1984 Alpine Coupe
                          1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
                            But if you don't have all poly bushing how will people know you're still down to raze?
                            Word. I'm alwayz downz to raze, Dat Drift lyfe, yo.
                            Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Im with panda on that, all rubber is the bomb. Its not the point that needs to be stiffened first imo, especially if car is still a street car.
                              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                              willschnitz

Comment

So I bought a 318is today. The m42 is slow as shit, just saying. The turn in is nice I guess.
                                Hank Ahrens
                                1984 Alpine Coupe
                                1978 911sc

Comment

Working...
                                X