PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
    So I bought a 318is today. The m42 is slow as shit, just saying. The turn in is nice I guess.
    Hope you plan to M20 swap it immediately, so you can piss the purists off.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Fuck me..

Car drove great up to Leavenworth yesterday. Car drove great back from Leavenworth. Drive great down to Old School Reunion today, until we get within two, TWO!!!, Miles of the show venue, and the brand new timing belt snaps....

Hopefully the head isn't toast...
      Current daily: 2003 Mitsubishi Evo (Isabelle)
      Gone, but never forgotten: 2017 VW Golf R 6sp (Maria, sold)
      1989 325i 5sp (Lorelei, sold)
      1991 BMW 318is 5sp (Michaela; totaled)
      2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5sp (Selena, parted out)

IG: mitsugal_jenni

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
        Hope you plan to M20 swap it immediately, so you can piss the purists off.
        Why would I do that. The m42 makes 300 hp easily. It is after all, the "baby m3" :roll:
        Hank Ahrens
        1984 Alpine Coupe
        1978 911sc

Comment

Why would I do that. The m42 makes 300 hp easily. It is after all, the "baby m3" :roll:
          Sorry, Andrew. You're right. After all, it's the best motor ever made.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
            Sorry, Andrew. You're right. After all, it's the best motor ever made.
            Hahahahahaha

I'm already looking at swaps and I haven't even owned it 3 hours.
            Hank Ahrens
            1984 Alpine Coupe
            1978 911sc

Comment

I hate m42s
              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
              willschnitz

Comment

Hahahahahaha

I'm already looking at swaps and I haven't even owned it 3 hours.
                *moves ahrensNW up one notch on "r3v members I can tolerate" list*

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                  The older I get, the farther I wanna get away from racecar when It's a street car.
                  All this old man talk my man haha
                  -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                  08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                  318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                  '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                  Originally posted by roguetoaster
                  Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by car_gal_jenni View Post
                    Fuck me..

Car drove great up to Leavenworth yesterday. Car drove great back from Leavenworth. Drive great down to Old School Reunion today, until we get within two, TWO!!!, Miles of the show venue, and the brand new timing belt snaps....

Hopefully the head isn't toast...
                    If so...

Comment

Thank you sir!! This might just be a viable option
                      Current daily: 2003 Mitsubishi Evo (Isabelle)
                      Gone, but never forgotten: 2017 VW Golf R 6sp (Maria, sold)
                      1989 325i 5sp (Lorelei, sold)
                      1991 BMW 318is 5sp (Michaela; totaled)
                      2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5sp (Selena, parted out)

IG: mitsugal_jenni

Comment

haters. Im getting stickers made for my car soon. gonna say something like "///MOMENTUM.THREE"

my m42 has developed an annoying issue. idles like shit hot and cold, like 500rpm or so where I have to finesse it to keep her going. In addition to that there is a related problem where while accelerating (at any rpm range, it doesnt matter it seems like) the engine has ignition cut or something for a split second and the car bucks. sometimes it will do it a few times in a row, other times just once. Both problems developed at same time. For now I cleaned the ICV and found that the vane is frozen in place. unplugged the ICV and now my hot idle is around 1500 - car is atleast dailyable.

fuel pressure tested good. AFM is not even 4 months old and is refurbed straight from BAVREST. TPS tested good, may be a bit out of spec but not bad (ranged from 1.4kohm to 4.3kohm).

car is throwing a cam sensor code, but I swapped out cam sensors between two known good ones and no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                          my m42 has developed an annoying issue.
                          An m42 with issues? never!
                          1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                          willschnitz

Comment

Im getting stickers made for my car soon. gonna say something like "///MOMENTUM.THREE"
                            What the fuck does that even mean?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Comment

it means racecar! haha just kidding :)

so I found:

- TPS tested good
                              - coolant temp sensor reading 230ohms once warmed up, not bad right? spec is rihgt around there +/- 10%
                              - coil packs all ohmed out good. removed the HT leads one by one and the idle changed equally on each cylinder
                              - engine wont idle with AFM unplugged... so AFM is good I assume, its brand new after all
                              - unplugged o2 sensor and drove around, problem was way worse. same symptoms just 4X as often, accelerating up hills was painful LOL
                              - ICV meausres out at 8ohms resistance and idle raises significantly when unplugged... the ICV feels frozen when I cleaned it by hand the other day so not sure what is really going on. Goign to get a new ICV and go from there.

any ideas

Comment

it means racecar! haha just kidding :)

so I found:

- TPS tested good
                                - coolant temp sensor reading 230ohms once warmed up, not bad right? spec is rihgt around there +/- 10%
                                - coil packs all ohmed out good. removed the HT leads one by one and the idle changed equally on each cylinder
                                - engine wont idle with AFM unplugged... so AFM is good I assume, its brand new after all
                                - unplugged o2 sensor and drove around, problem was way worse. same symptoms just 4X as often, accelerating up hills was painful LOL
                                - ICV meausres out at 8ohms resistance and idle raises significantly when unplugged... the ICV feels frozen when I cleaned it by hand the other day so not sure what is really going on. Goign to get a new ICV and go from there.

any ideas
                                It's an M42. Thats the problem, it's only a small step up from the M40 shitbox.
                                Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Working...
                                X