M50 swap that will blow your mind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
    The e36 ones are really good compromise with stiffness and sound. But those don't fit e30, because those hit frame rail in e30....
    ...unless You mount them upside down ;)

As to the problem with clevis pin - here's what I did (inspired by Pazi88 solution shown in his video, thanks!):
    1) first, I cut off the forkhead;
    2) then, I shaved off the rod a little bit and tapped it with m10 x (probably) 1.5 thread;
    the rod is quite too short to grab the thread with original e30 forkhead, so...
    3) I bought a genuine BMW e28 535i forkhead (p/n 34331150988, price in the USA ~6$ at Turner Motorsport) and used it instead of e30 forkhead.
    E28 fork is a bit longer, fits perfectly and still we can have an adjustable fork, just as before. And original e30 clevis pin can be used.

I forgot to take pictures, so here is (partly) illustrative photo:
    Last edited by maaaad; 01-25-2022, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Just ordered one of those fork heads from ebay, BMW dealer here pulled the classic "it's a euro only part" BS unfortunately.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Great find on the E28 fork.

BMW NA clamping down on these Euro parts for cars legal to import under the 25 year rule has been wearing me out. My dealer is willing to do the paperwork but it is a huge pain and NA won't always approve it...

Comment

I haven't had any problem at Dreyer and Reinbold in Indianapolis ordering Euro parts. It just takes forever for them to come in.

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
            I haven't had any problem at Dreyer and Reinbold in Indianapolis ordering Euro parts. It just takes forever for them to come in.

In my experience, having a Euro Vin helps. I don't always have one available for the part I'm buying (especially E46) and if the part is not mapped for sale in the US and you don't have a vin it requires a request to map the part for US sale. No doubt,...parts from Germany take forever to arrive these days.

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post

In my experience, having a Euro Vin helps. I don't always have one available for the part I'm buying (especially E46) and if the part is not mapped for sale in the US and you don't have a vin it requires a request to map the part for US sale. No doubt,...parts from Germany take forever to arrive these days.
              Yes, you're right. They would only order a Euro part for me if I showed them the title or registration for the vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by maaaad View Post
                ...unless You mount them upside down ;)

As to the problem with clevis pin - here's what I did (inspired by Pazi88 solution shown in his video, thanks!):
                1) first, I cut off the forkhead;
                2) then, I shaved off the rod a little bit and tapped it with m10 x (probably) 1.5 thread;
                the rod is quite too short to grab the thread with original e30 forkhead, so...
                3) I bought a genuine BMW e28 535i forkhead (p/n 34331150988, price in the USA ~6$ at Turner Motorsport) and used it instead of e30 forkhead.
                E28 fork is a bit longer, fits perfectly and still we can have an adjustable fork, just as before. And original e30 clevis pin can be used.

I forgot to take pictures, so here is (partly) illustrative photo:
                Any more details on how to thread the end of the booster rod? I have talked to two very experienced machinists and they think the rod must be removed from the booster to machine it down from ~12mm to M10x1.50. They both suggested cutting the rod shorter and TIG welding a bolt on the rod… Any help on the actual process of machining the threads on the e90 booster rod would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Speaking as a welder, I went that route.. cutting it shorter and welding the E30 clevis on the rod. The biggest issue is putting too much heat into the rod, which may melt the plastic inside the booster (and it doesn't matter if you're welding a bolt or the clevis on).

I think the way others do it, who don't have a welder, just use an angle grinder with a flap disc, and slowly shave the rod thinner, going around and around the rod, taking off material a little at a time. It's effective but I didn't see enough material there for me to shave enough, and then use vice grips to hold the rod as threads are cut.

The fact that you spoke with experienced machinists means you spoke with guys who have already done enough shit to know what is right and what just works well enough. Most of us here are in the second boat, just doing what we can to get our cars on the road.

If I'd do it again, I'd weld a bolt on the rod. Mainly because I have the ability to do so.

Currently building a badass coffee table
                  Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
                    Speaking as a welder, I went that route.. cutting it shorter and welding the E30 clevis on the rod. The biggest issue is putting too much heat into the rod, which may melt the plastic inside the booster (and it doesn't matter if you're welding a bolt or the clevis on).

I think the way others do it, who don't have a welder, just use an angle grinder with a flap disc, and slowly shave the rod thinner, going around and around the rod, taking off material a little at a time. It's effective but I didn't see enough material there for me to shave enough, and then use vice grips to hold the rod as threads are cut.

The fact that you spoke with experienced machinists means you spoke with guys who have already done enough shit to know what is right and what just works well enough. Most of us here are in the second boat, just doing what we can to get our cars on the road.

If I'd do it again, I'd weld a bolt on the rod. Mainly because I have the ability to do so.
                    Thanks for the comments. Both machinists said with the rod removed from the booster it would take more time to set up the die, than to cut it. Removing it doesn’t seem to be an option. The slowly shaving it thinner and cutting the threads option seems very tedious, and hard to get accurate. I think we are going the TIG weld direction. I have access to two great welders.

Comment

For anybody that used a remote 2002 res on the e83 master, what lines did you use to run the extra distance from master to remote res? Finishing up my install now

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatDecay View Post
                        For anybody that used a remote 2002 res on the e83 master, what lines did you use to run the extra distance from master to remote res? Finishing up my install now
                        I bought a meter of new clutch line. I replaced the old clutch line (I had to, the original was too short to reach the new res anyway), and then used the rest for the brakes.

Replacing the clutch line (where it goes through the firewall to the clutch master) was one of the worst, most irritating jobs I had to do within the whole swap. Getting that hose on the fitting was such a pain. Good luck if you do. Appearance-wise, worth it to have all new lines, versus using a coupler to extend the old one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211107_233637235.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	10036267

Name:	PXL_20211107_233754237.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	10036268

Name:	PXL_20211107_233825882.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	10036269

Comment

Same:

Use (2) of the 2002 fittings off of the top of the master cylinder - 34 32 1 102 282

Along with a meter of the cloth covered rubber hose - 21 52 1 163 714

Agree that it is not fun fishing the hose for the clutch master through the firewall grommet but in the whole scope of the swap it's not too bad. If you still have your original line going through the firewall, tape the new hose to it to help guide it through.

Comment

I'm trying to use an e90 booster in my 87' that HAS ABS, and I seem to have only one line running into my master cylinder's setup, its like connected to iteslf in 2 places (see pic)....

This is a stock pic i found on the internet but it clearly shows the current setup i have in my car, the 2 lines from the main master go to like a "secondary"? master and there is only one line connected to it on my car where the green circle is Click image for larger version

Name:	booster2.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	10055978

How do I properly connect my e90 booster if I do not want to remove my ABS......is it even possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Buff_e30 View Post
                              I'm trying to use an e90 booster in my 87' that HAS ABS, and I seem to have only one line running into my master cylinder's setup

How do I properly connect my e90 booster if I do not want to remove my ABS......is it even possible?

It's a proportioning valve only on those models/that year. I have the same. Some people get rid of theirs. I went through the extra effort to bend the lines and relocate it to underneath the master, positioned horizontally. See my post above, you can baaarely see it hidden under there. I'll try to get a better photo soon.

Comment

I just picked up an E90 booster and the pedal is probably ~1/2" from the light switch on my car. Would cutting the clevis off of the e90 booster, cutting threads and adding the e30 clevis have enough room to adjust the pedal up? I have an e28 clevis on order, but I think it will take some time to get here...

Also, are any good spots to put a proportioning valve on the rear line? The engine bay is quite crammed and I am unsure of where to put it to get good access, but not create a local high spot

Comment

Working...
                                X