No announcement yet.

Dedicated Exhaust Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the exhaust wont slide back an inch minimum you don't have enough room for thermal growth.

Kinda like that muffler hanger on the car Garage Welt posted. That'll totally fatigue and break put through some proper paces.

Along with flexy on one side and non flex on a dual exhaust system, to much strain on the non flexy side, till fatigue and crack.. IE a lot of E30 down pipes.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
      i like the good old flange myself, but IMO you dont want the connection too far downstream from the bell housing otherwise its a headers off job to remove the gearbox.

I would also think about whether adding studs might make it more difficult as you need to the clear the studs to drop it down. it depends on the layout overall
      I would love to have the connection closer to the front but that would require significant changes to the rear bank, forward of the collector. That's not something I want to take on. I think I can still get the transmission off, it will be tight though.

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
        If the exhaust wont slide back an inch minimum you don't have enough room for thermal growth.

Kinda like that muffler hanger on the car Garage Welt posted. That'll totally fatigue and break put through some proper paces.

Along with flexy on one side and non flex on a dual exhaust system, to much strain on the non flexy side, till fatigue and crack.. IE a lot of E30 down pipes.
        I'm don't think I follow what you're saying. I'm not familiar with the post you're talking about. I also don't see any way the exhaust can move an inch, I don't think the stock transmission hanger has the ability to move that much and the 30 some year old M20 mid section I took off is still in great shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Striker01 View Post

I'm don't think I follow what you're saying. I'm not familiar with the post you're talking about. I also don't see any way the exhaust can move an inch, I don't think the stock transmission hanger has the ability to move that much and the 30 some year old M20 mid section I took off is still in great shape.
          He’s talking about when disconnecting the exhaust to get it off the stud and that there should already be plenty of play once gearbox mount is removed .Thinking more about it corrosion is probably not your long term friend and a bolt is easier to replace. Each to their own
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Hopefully my last post about these AA look-a-like headers. I'm going to call them sorted and send them out for ceramic coating.

Thanks to digger​ for talking about gearbox clearance, that's something I wasn't even thinking about and got lucky by just needing a slight modification for them to clear.

In this picture you can see the countersunk holes for the flange nuts. Unfortunately the holes aren't cut very precise and some of the studs weren't centered in all of them. Also the copper flange nuts are too big to fit into the ones that are centered, maybe 1/32" too small. I didn't like how some of the nuts didn't have much material to clamp on so I decided to fill the the countersunk area.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0094.jpg Views:	0 Size:	304.6 KB ID:	10112149

Filled, then lots of grinding and drilling.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0306.jpg Views:	0 Size:	248.8 KB ID:	10112147

I forgot to take a picture after grinding and drilling but here they are mounted, with the proper nuts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0307.jpg Views:	0 Size:	274.0 KB ID:	10112150

This gap was at least an inch before I decided to shorten the primaries at the flange. It's fairly close now but both headers feel pretty solid and hopefully won't rattle together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0308 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.0 KB ID:	10112151

I got lucky here, I hadn't even considered removing the transmission. Just had to cut this little ear off (circled) and it will slide into place with the headers on. I also ran the grinder between the flanges, they were touching after the final welding.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0311.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.3 KB ID:	10112148

Comment

Mounted for hopefully the final time!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0378.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	10114186

Comment

Working...
              X